B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5
Old June 9th 10, 04:24   #51
GKarsEye
First One

Re: Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacantlook View Post
I had to look up the original broadcast dates just to make sure, yeah, Buffy and Angel were shown on the same night for Buffy4/Angel1 and Buffy5/Angel2.

But then, Buffy moved from The WB to UPN, while Angel stayed on The WB, and their schedules changed.

For Buffy6/Angel3, Angel episodes would be shown one one night, and then Buffy would be on the next night. (So whereas you watched Buffy, then Angel for 4/1 and 5/2, now you'd switch and watch Angel first and Buffy second.)

And then comes Buffy7/Angel4. The broadcast schedule for those two is insanely fucked up. There were periods where three weeks of Angel episodes would go by with no corresponding Buffy episode. It's difficult to keep it straight, so when you get to it, let me know. I have a compiled list of the episodes of both shows in broadcast order that makes keeping track of which episode of which show to watch next easy.
Dude I won't have to let you know- you're reading this thread!
"Most smart people cannot watch most TV, because it has generally been a condescending medium, explaining everything immediately, offering no ambiguities, and using dialogue that simplifies and mitigates against the idiosyncratic ways in which people in different worlds actually communicate. It eventually requires that characters from different places talk the same way as the viewer. This, of course, sucks." - David Simon
GKarsEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th 10, 05:27   #52
vacantlook

I think Buffy accepted Ford knowing she was the Slayer as easily as she did because she's been through so much that she was desperate to latch onto something from her life before becoming the Slayer. She talks about crushing on him in like 6th grade or whatever young year it was. She's a junior in high school in season two of the show, and to that point, she's found out she's supposed to risk her life all the time fighting literal evil, she burned down a school building to do so at her previous school, got kicked out of school, had her parents split up, and had to move to another town, where she finds out she didn't escape having to fight for her life all the time like she had hoped. Ford was, in her mind, part of her normal life before all the crazy started, so she just sort of stopped thinking straight for a while.

And thinking about all this, I thought of something related to a question you had previously asked about if there was something more than coincidence that prompted Buffy's move to Sunnydale, as opposed to some other town. I can't remember what episode, but I suddenly remembered Buffy's mom at some point having said that they had to move there because Buffy's mom couldn't find any other nearby schools that would accept Buffy as a student after she had been kicked out of her old school for having burned down the gym.

Drusilla can see the future just because she can; lots of magic on this show. I enjoy Drusilla. Her crazy babbling can really just make me laugh because of the strange, random absurdity of some of it, but there are a few times when she actually kinda freaks me out.

I too thought they'd have stretched out the mystery about Giles's past longer than they did. It's something that kinda disappoints me that they revealed it so quickly. They set it up and then two episodes later, layed it all out. I do like that the mystery was something rather mundane: he was crazy and wild as a youth. I think one of the major themes of the show over all it's collected seasons is how much one changes and how much one stays the same growing up, and the Giles revelation fits right in with that.

Last edited by vacantlook; June 9th 10 at 05:30.
vacantlook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th 10, 11:12   #53
darth_librarian
Psi Cop

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKarsEye View Post
Remember the Gillmore Girls? Every chick I know was into that, and when I saw it, they were talking super-fast and everything was amazingly clever, with no stuttering or pauses, even if the character was in high school. Same thing like some of your observations about Buffy- people don't/can't talk like that in real life.

I'm gonna chalk that up to a theatrical style choice. It's like an Oscar Wilde play- you know it's not realistic, but you're enjoying the cleverness of the script.
It took me a while to get this with Whedon, at first I found it irritating. But it does make good TV. I love how we are all talking about Buffy like its 1999 again.

"There's no point debating anything online. It provides scant room for debate and infinite opportunities for fruitless point-scoring: the heady combination of perceived anonymity, gestated responses, random heckling and a notional "live audience" quickly conspire to create a "perfect storm" of perpetual bickering."
- Charlie Brooker
darth_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th 10, 14:36   #54
GKarsEye
First One

Quote:
And thinking about all this, I thought of something related to a question you had previously asked about if there was something more than coincidence that prompted Buffy's move to Sunnydale, as opposed to some other town. I can't remember what episode, but I suddenly remembered Buffy's mom at some point having said that they had to move there because Buffy's mom couldn't find any other nearby schools that would accept Buffy as a student after she had been kicked out of her old school for having burned down the gym.
And her mom could only find that school because...

This is really just still a coincidence if this is the only explanation they give.
In the pilot, Giles was acting as if he expected Buffy to show up. I therefore I assumed we'd learn at some point that events were manipulated, by Giles himself or whomever, for Buffy to go that particular school, or her mom to get a job in that particular town or something like that.

I suppose it's a pretty obvious conclusion that the noblewoman in the book about Angel = pre-vampiric Drusilla?
"Most smart people cannot watch most TV, because it has generally been a condescending medium, explaining everything immediately, offering no ambiguities, and using dialogue that simplifies and mitigates against the idiosyncratic ways in which people in different worlds actually communicate. It eventually requires that characters from different places talk the same way as the viewer. This, of course, sucks." - David Simon
Old June 9th 10, 14:58   #55
Chilli
High Treason Prevention Officer

Send a message via ICQ to Chilli Send a message via MSN to Chilli

Re: watching Buffy and Angel at the same time .. I started doing this, but soon quit. The styles of the two shows are so radically different that it really "clashed" for me - after watching an episode of Buffy, Angel seemed painfully gloomy and emo; after watching an episode of Angel, Buffy seemed painfully childish and hip.

Chilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th 10, 15:50   #56
KoshFan
Soul Hunter

Buffy is about growing up and why it's hard; Angel is about being a grown-up and why that's hard too. And they very much diverged in style. So I might watch them in parallel bursts, but not one-for-one.

The one with Ford is "Lie to Me," which I feel is their first truly great episode. On a re-watch you realize just how brilliantly well-written it is.

There's definitely better stuff coming, though.

The Generous Grasp
KoshFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th 10, 17:41   #57
GKarsEye
First One

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoshFan View Post
Buffy is about growing up and why it's hard; Angel is about being a grown-up and why that's hard too. And they very much diverged in style. So I might watch them in parallel bursts, but not one-for-one.

The one with Ford is "Lie to Me," which I feel is their first truly great episode. On a re-watch you realize just how brilliantly well-written it is.

There's definitely better stuff coming, though.
No it's about vampires!

Clashing styles don't bother me. For the past couple of months I've been capping my weekends with Treme followed by Breaking Bad. Doesn't get more clashing that that.

Halloween was a "great" episode, IMO, easily my favorite so far.
Old June 9th 10, 18:55   #58
vacantlook

Quote:
I suppose it's a pretty obvious conclusion that the noblewoman in the book about Angel = pre-vampiric Drusilla?
No, the noblewoman drawn there was not Drusilla. It's someone you already know, but I'm not going to tell you who it is; you'll find out by the end of the season.
vacantlook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th 10, 18:57   #59
KoshFan
Soul Hunter

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoshFan View Post
Buffy is about growing up and why it's hard; Angel is about being a grown-up and why that's hard too.
No it's about vampires!
"That too."

The Generous Grasp
KoshFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th 10, 19:13   #60
GKarsEye
First One

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacantlook View Post
Quote:
No, the noblewoman drawn there was not Drusilla. It's someone you already know, but I'm not going to tell you who it is; you'll find out by the end of the season.
Ooh, I get to make silly guesses, fun!

Ok, the noblewoman is:

- The computer teacher. Surprise, she's a vampire!

- Buffy herself, in a previous incarnation. Yes, now there's reincarnation, why not. This means Buffy and Angel are tied together forever, how romantic for the teeny girls.

- Cordelia, because being a bitchy noblewoman would certainly be a good match for her.

- the principal. That's how he knows about all the vampire stuff.

Do they ever explain why the slayer always has to be a girl? And I mean really explain it, other than "because that's what the prophecy says" or "Joss Whedon thought it would be cool to make a girl the hero."