B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5
Old July 24th 10, 04:44   #361
vacantlook

Re: Buffy the Vampire Slayer

No, they did Firefly first. Actors from Firefly were cast in roles on Buffy and Angel because at that point Firefly had been cancelled and Joss, I guess, was doing them a solid and helping them get more work.
vacantlook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th 10, 07:05   #362
GKarsEye
First One

Wow Firefly was that long ago? Man I'm getting old....

Funny town, Sunnydale. Mass civilian exodus, school closed, but the Bronze is still open and offering live music.
"Most smart people cannot watch most TV, because it has generally been a condescending medium, explaining everything immediately, offering no ambiguities, and using dialogue that simplifies and mitigates against the idiosyncratic ways in which people in different worlds actually communicate. It eventually requires that characters from different places talk the same way as the viewer. This, of course, sucks." - David Simon
GKarsEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th 10, 08:36   #363
vacantlook

Firefly started broadcast the same time Buffy7/Angel4 began broadcast. With Firefly's cancellation, but Buffy and Angel still going, Joss had the opportunity to work in Firefly actors in a couple of places.
Old July 24th 10, 17:27   #364
GKarsEye
First One

Series over. That was fun. None of it made sense. Gotta go now, post more later.
"Most smart people cannot watch most TV, because it has generally been a condescending medium, explaining everything immediately, offering no ambiguities, and using dialogue that simplifies and mitigates against the idiosyncratic ways in which people in different worlds actually communicate. It eventually requires that characters from different places talk the same way as the viewer. This, of course, sucks." - David Simon
Old July 26th 10, 07:36   #365
JoeD80
Commander

Buffy started around '97. Angel started in '99. Firefly was in 2002.
JoeD80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th 10, 08:53   #366
Chilli
High Treason Prevention Officer

Send a message via ICQ to Chilli Send a message via MSN to Chilli

Just in case you've given up on Angel, I'd really recommend watching season 5. It takes the show in a completely different direction from season 4, and is at times pretty damned cool in a "none of this makes sense" manner.

Chilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th 10, 16:07   #367
GKarsEye
First One

I'll check out season 5. Does it at least have a real ending? I also got Dollhouse, which I heard mixed things about, but it has Faith and River, so you know, there's that.

Back to Buffy, finale:

Holy CGI. the running on the rooftops chasing after the bus. Also I lol at Principle David Palmer's Brother getting them on a school bus. Just a funny image, after the big vampire fight. Which, btw, included Buffy being run-through the gut, but still managing to do the roof-top chase/jump and then being totally fine at the end.

Destroying all of Sunnydale is certainly rather dramatic. Was the whole town supposed to be evacuated by then?
The smash you over the head girl-power message of all the little girls around the world turning into slayers was pretty funny too.

Killing Anya seemed unnecessarily cruel, and Xander's reaction was pretty matter-of-fact. That, plus that they showed Andrew questioning his own survival, made me wonder if they didn't know if that was actually to be the last episode, and they were setting up some character arc for him.

Willow's last spell made her look like Emmylou Harris.

I take it Dawn is a Watcher-in-training?
Old July 26th 10, 18:45   #368
Chilli
High Treason Prevention Officer

Send a message via ICQ to Chilli Send a message via MSN to Chilli

Angel's ending .. uh .. it's hard to say a thing about it without giving anything away. Let's just say the show ended on a bang, and the fanbase was massively split. Personally, I loved it.

Chilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th 10, 03:22   #369
vacantlook

I also loved the way Angel ended; not everyone who's a fan of Buffy/Angel agree with me and Chilli. You've watched it to this point, don't abandon Angel yet with only one season to go. The last season has some of the most heartbreaking moments the show's ever had.

Yes, all of Sunnydale was evacuated by the time of the destruction of the town; they showed the mass exodus in a prior episode.

The reason Anya died is because the actress who played Anya specifically asked for it.

Andrew questioning his survival was supposed to reflect on the moments earlier in the season, particularly his conversation with Anya in the hospital when they were getting supplies, in which he had begun to assume that because he was as weak of a person that he is that he would die.

And if you do watch Dollhouse, I hope you enjoy it; I certainly did. And if you do watch, please post your thoughts about it as you watch. It's only two seasons, and both are shorter than normal, so it's not too much to watch. Personally, I love Dollhouse and wish it had gotten more time. There is one particular revelation in the second season that's rather jarring, though interesting, that had they had more time they could have made a smoother transition for in terms of the story. The first season starts with a handful of episodes that have a sizable portion of stand-alone-ishness to them, though they all do advance the seasonal plot in some smaller degree. A lot of people had a problem with that stand-alone-ishness. I personally think it's needed to help the viewer grow accustomed to and understand how the universe of the show works.
Old July 27th 10, 04:04   #370
Sindatur
Techno-mage

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacantlook View Post
I also loved the way Angel ended; not everyone who's a fan of Buffy/Angel agree with me and Chilli. You've watched it to this point, don't abandon Angel yet with only one season to go. The last season has some of the most heartbreaking moments the show's ever had.

Yes, all of Sunnydale was evacuated by the time of the destruction of the town; they showed the mass exodus in a prior episode.

The reason Anya died is because the actress who played Anya specifically asked for it.

Andrew questioning his survival was supposed to reflect on the moments earlier in the season, particularly his conversation with Anya in the hospital when they were getting supplies, in which he had begun to assume that because he was as weak of a person that he is that he would die.

And if you do watch Dollhouse, I hope you enjoy it; I certainly did. And if you do watch, please post your thoughts about it as you watch. It's only two seasons, and both are shorter than normal, so it's not too much to watch. Personally, I love Dollhouse and wish it had gotten more time. There is one particular revelation in the second season that's rather jarring, though interesting, that had they had more time they could have made a smoother transition for in terms of the story. The first season starts with a handful of episodes that have a sizable portion of stand-alone-ishness to them, though they all do advance the seasonal plot in some smaller degree. A lot of people had a problem with that stand-alone-ishness. I personally think it's needed to help the viewer grow accustomed to and understand how the universe of the show works.
Agreed on all counts.

Plus, I'll add, that it's a shame the Arc progression required the viewer to become so intimate with all the ways you could knock down/abuse/demean, etc. women from the very beginning. That turned alot of people off, that enjoyed Buffy, because it started from the other end of the Spectrum, where you didn't have "Girl Power"in control...in fact... Girl Power is subjigated (SP?) in the beginning.of Dollhouse.

[Stephen R. Donaldson goes through this with the Thomas Covenant Chronicles and The Gap Series]

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote