B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5
Old July 15th 10, 15:44   #311
GKarsEye
First One

Re: Buffy the Vampire Slayer

I put on Once More With A Feeling this morning while doing my morning routine, but had to sit down and re-watch the Anya/Giles/Xander sequence and caught a line I missed last time, about the police taking "witness arias."

I didn't make the Joan of Arc connection... so she was a slayer and fought the British? Not a bad resume.

Wikipedia confirms that, though, and points out that in France the reference didn't work, ironically, because it's "Jean d'Arc" there, so hearing "Joan" wouldn't have meant anything to them. Also that Xander was always called Alexander in the French translations so the joke of everyone calling him Alex in the episode didn't work for them.

About the relationships, I just remember another one that felt more believable than the others: Willow and Oz. Willow's love life is the only one in the show that is effective, so I'm going to credit Hannigan's work for making that happen.
"Most smart people cannot watch most TV, because it has generally been a condescending medium, explaining everything immediately, offering no ambiguities, and using dialogue that simplifies and mitigates against the idiosyncratic ways in which people in different worlds actually communicate. It eventually requires that characters from different places talk the same way as the viewer. This, of course, sucks." - David Simon
GKarsEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th 10, 22:17   #312
GKarsEye
First One

Added to my digital music library, under Soundtracks, joining Amadeus, The Blues Brothers, The Harder They Come, Pulp Fiction, Singles, and O Brother Where Art Thou. It's a good group.
(Purple Rain, Shaft and Superfly are, of course, listed under their respective artists)

Even though it's the same recordings as from the TV show, it sure "sounds" different without the visuals. Spike sounds better, almost everyone else sounds worse, Tara still sounds fantastic. There's also a demo of Whedon's singing Buffy's revelation song from the end of the ep. The suites from other episodes are nifty, especially Hush.
"Most smart people cannot watch most TV, because it has generally been a condescending medium, explaining everything immediately, offering no ambiguities, and using dialogue that simplifies and mitigates against the idiosyncratic ways in which people in different worlds actually communicate. It eventually requires that characters from different places talk the same way as the viewer. This, of course, sucks." - David Simon
Old July 16th 10, 04:22   #313
GKarsEye
First One

Ow my head hurts- it's just been beaten over the head with the magic-as-addiction metaphor.\\

So now that I'm about half-way in, can someone explain- WITHOUT SPOILERS- why this season is so hated? Yes, the nerd villain trio is lame, as discussed. But that's really a small part of the season so far. It's mostly around Buffy dealing with being brought back from heaven, acting out by sleeping with Spike, and Willows plunge into darkness. This is actually pretty interesting stuff, why the hate?
Old July 16th 10, 08:43   #314
Chilli
High Treason Prevention Officer

Send a message via ICQ to Chilli Send a message via MSN to Chilli

I never hated season 6 - I tought the overall seasonal arc was a bit daft, but I found it enjoyable enough.

I didn't *hate* season 7, but I found it dreary and dull. Season 4 of Angel is the only Buffyverse season I truly disliked, IIRC.

Chilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th 10, 14:00   #315
vacantlook

My problem with season 7 of Buffy is that it feels in some spots like they just didn't have enough time to give the story the room it deserved, and in other spots it feels like they're spinning their wheels waiting until the ending finally comes.

There are many parts of season 4 of Angel that I really enjoy, but there are some aspects to it that are too forced; they just didn't adapt the planned story to real life circumstances all that well.

But I guess that's what happens when Joss is busy doing Firefly and leaving Buffy and Angel more in the hands of his lieutenants.
vacantlook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th 10, 14:10   #316
vacantlook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKarsEye View Post
Ow my head hurts- it's just been beaten over the head with the magic-as-addiction metaphor.\\

So now that I'm about half-way in, can someone explain- WITHOUT SPOILERS- why this season is so hated?
I think that which hurt your head is a good part of why season 6 isn't as liked as other seasons. It has some good moments, but there are times when it feels like the show is a bit too blatant with the metaphor. And looking at the list of episodes in the second half of the season, there really just isn't much happy or funny to punctuate the pain; the season's pretty depressing.
Old July 16th 10, 14:21   #317
GKarsEye
First One

But the show's always been blatant and heavy-handed with metaphors. Isn't one of the things that the show got attention for was that teenage problems were represented by literal monsters? Let's face it, if this show were any more subtle, it would be at all subtle.

I'm expecting the rest of the season to be heavy because addiction stories are never light-hearted romps. The reason I look forward to it is that it will center around the strongest actress in the show.
Old July 17th 10, 00:44   #318
GKarsEye
First One

Buffy in a fast food joint and everybody gets eaten- decent 1st season episode.
Old July 17th 10, 23:51   #319
GKarsEye
First One

Angel is Pete Campbell's father! Boy that sure explains a lot.

Loved the Buffy as a mental patient in an alternate universe thing, especially the ending in that universe, not the show's "real" one.

Now that I'm nearing the end of season 6, I think I get why this season is disliked despite its many enjoyable moments and themes: without an adversary as menacing as evil Angel or Glory, there is no sense of larger stakes. Everything is basically about internal weaknesses, relationships, personal issues, that kind of stuff.
Old July 18th 10, 03:10   #320
vacantlook

The season doesn't end without some larger stakes though.