B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5
Old June 5th 10, 14:53   #11
GKarsEye
First One

Re: Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Remember the Gillmore Girls? Every chick I know was into that, and when I saw it, they were talking super-fast and everything was amazingly clever, with no stuttering or pauses, even if the character was in high school. Same thing like some of your observations about Buffy- people don't/can't talk like that in real life.

I'm gonna chalk that up to a theatrical style choice. It's like an Oscar Wilde play- you know it's not realistic, but you're enjoying the cleverness of the script.

Funny thing about the first few episodes is that the jokes aren't even good, so it really comes off as awful. But it gets better as it moves along and finds its rhythm, as one would expect.

I think the fact that this show is about high school kids is going to make it hard for me to accept this show as some amazing thing. I think I'm too old for it to have any serious emotional impact. I mean, yeah, the scene where Xander got the "let's be friends" business from Buffy when he asked her to the dance brought back some nightmares, but that teen drama shit just isn't gonna have major impact on me.

Was the teacher mantis literally the same puppet as N'Grath? Oh man, that's just so cool/stupid.

Mad props to Gellar's performance in the finale. She is really bringin' it. I know people love the other characters, but at this early stage in the game, I'm watching this show for Buffy/Gellar and am mostly bored when she's not on screen.
"Most smart people cannot watch most TV, because it has generally been a condescending medium, explaining everything immediately, offering no ambiguities, and using dialogue that simplifies and mitigates against the idiosyncratic ways in which people in different worlds actually communicate. It eventually requires that characters from different places talk the same way as the viewer. This, of course, sucks." - David Simon
GKarsEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th 10, 15:41   #12
Chilli
High Treason Prevention Officer

Send a message via ICQ to Chilli Send a message via MSN to Chilli

Another problem with the witty dialgoe, especially on Buffy .. no-one ever laughs. Xander has some insult thrown at him, and comes up with the perfect comeback within the blink of an eye .. and his friends don't even react. What kind of robotesque friends are those? Why do people even bother saying witty things in the Buffyverse if no-one seems to notice it? If I was in the presence of my friends say something I considered witty, and they didn't react in the slightest, I'd be thinking .. "wow, that was a stupid thing to say, I shouldn't do that again".

But yeah, it's a stylistic choice. This kind of dialogue wouldn't work if people reacted the way they do IRL. And as it's often really great fun, I'm not going to complain .. but I do raise an eyebrow every time I see people praise the realism of Joss Whedon's dialoge. Really, no.

I was not expecting to like Gellar/Buffy at all when I started watching the show, as Markas - who was actually the person that forced me to start watching Buffy by giving me the S1 box set - will be able to confirm, but she did end up being one of my absolute favourite characters, along with Giles and some folk you've not met yet.

Ugh. The Gilmore Girls. A girl I briefly dated some years ago made me sit through an episode of that. In German. I should have known right then that it was not going to work.

Chilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th 10, 20:34   #13
vacantlook

When I got my best friend in to Buffy, she was really of a "yeah right, it seems so stupid" opinion at first. She loved making fun of the music in season one; I agree with her, season one's music is rather stupid. Thankfully, they got much better composers for the rest of the show. I made a promise to her, if she watched the show to the end of season two and didn't love it, I would forever shut up about Buffy. She ended up calling me the evening she finished season two to ask, "Can I borrow season 3?" Hee hee.

Yeah, the show does start silly and slow. Every season has episodes that aren't all that great. But the show as a whole is a good viewing experience even if some things make you go, "Oh come on!"

I'm a big Buffy fan, but there are definitely things that I really don't like. Like the little kid -- "The Annointed". What a totally poor casting choice that was. I enjoy the idea of a scary ass kid; he did not do it... at all.

Keep with the show; it definitely gets better than season one.

As for the dialogue style, I love it. I love fast, strangely worded, quirky dialogue. I don't look for the characters to react to the language the same way that I do because the style is purposed for me, the viewer, not for internal character reactions (in most cases, at least).

Some of the earlier stories, particularly in season one, are more monster-of-the-week variety. It was done as part of the initial premise of the show, which was to make manifest the metaphor of "high school is Hell." They took various high school scenarios and made them demonic as a means by which to examine the real world idea on which the scenario was based. So, you get the mother wanting to relive her glory days through her daughter turn demonic by having the mother literally take over the daughter's body as her own. You have the predator on the internet be a literal demon. Et cetera. While that formula was used a lot earlier on in the show, its use decreases significantly as the show progresses and gets into its bigger story arc grooves.

As for Buffy's somewhat insignificant, temporary death at the end of the first season; all I'll say, you haven't yet seen all of its ramifications... by far.
vacantlook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th 10, 21:04   #14
KoshFan
Soul Hunter

The monsters of the week faded into the background, but they continued for a long time, and the central metaphor of demon-as-XYZ continued all the way through to the end.

By the way, I didn't mean to sound excluding when I said that if you don't get the metaphor, this isn't the show for you -- mostly what meant is that since the metaphor is so important, if you dislike it you may not want to waste your time on BtVS.

And I thought it was totally silly too. I well remember hearing ads for Buffy and laughing at the idea that a premise so stupid could have made it to multiple seasons. Then my friends showed me an episode from early in season 6...

The Generous Grasp
KoshFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th 10, 21:48   #15
vacantlook

While I can agree that the "high school (or life) is Hell" metaphor does technically continue throughout the show, it's becomes far less in the face after a while. Perhaps less formulaic is a better way to put it.

Oh, and GKE, you comment about the high school aspect of the show. Well, I'll say, people don't stay in high school forever. I'm still surprised about the weird sort of division that created within the fandom when it happened.
Old June 6th 10, 03:00   #16
vacantlook

Well, you watching through BtVS for the first time got me to watch it again. I started with the beginning of season two since that's where your last post left you. I've rewatched through "Reptile Boy," skipping "Some Assembly Required." SAR has a particular scene and a particular line that I enjoy, but I still skipped it. Ending with "Reptile Boy," there was a chick in it that I thought looked a good deal like Miracle Laurie, who was in Dollhouse, so I looked up the cast list. It wasn't Miracle, but there was someone in "Reptile Boy" that we know. Robin Atkin Downes was in the episode; he played Byron on Babylon 5. (He also did some voiced work in Avatar The Last Airbender.)
Old June 6th 10, 04:52   #17
KoshFan
Soul Hunter

There's another B5 alum early on in S2 as well.

The Generous Grasp
Old June 6th 10, 05:08   #18
vacantlook

You referencing Ethan Rahne/some dude from pretty much every species on B5?
Old June 6th 10, 05:22   #19
KoshFan
Soul Hunter

Yup.

Which reminds me, although it's almost totally unrelated, that the guy who played the Ranger with the messages in "Coming of Shadows" is also the guy who played Firefly villain Rance Burgess (and the cop after Kate early on in Lost).

The Generous Grasp
Old June 6th 10, 09:02   #20
Chilli
High Treason Prevention Officer

Send a message via ICQ to Chilli Send a message via MSN to Chilli

Does it constitute a spoiler to say that Ethan is one of the best things about BtVS?

In a moment of massive immaturity, I laughed out loud when I noticed that Byron was reptile boy. Back in 2003 when I watched the episode.

Chilli is offline   Reply With Quote