B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5
Old June 12th 10, 01:54   #101
GKarsEye
First One

Re: Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Actor spotting: in the ghost episode, the janitor (who first prevented the first haunted guy from killing someone, then was possessed and shot someone) = Sol Star from Deadwood. God I miss that show, and thinking about that dialogue makes even the best of Buffy look lame. Have you guys not watched Deadwood yet? Come on.
"Most smart people cannot watch most TV, because it has generally been a condescending medium, explaining everything immediately, offering no ambiguities, and using dialogue that simplifies and mitigates against the idiosyncratic ways in which people in different worlds actually communicate. It eventually requires that characters from different places talk the same way as the viewer. This, of course, sucks." - David Simon
GKarsEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th 10, 02:31   #102
vacantlook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKarsEye View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacantlook View Post
Yeah, I'm not all that fond of "Killed By Death,"
I'm just going to assume you mean the episode, not the Motorhead song, 'cause otherwise your awesomeness quotient would decrease.
Yeah, I mean the episode, but I'm gonna have to take a hit to my awesomeness: I don't think I've ever heard the Motorhead song. (Preemptive: I can't go check it out on YouTube or anything because I'm super slowass dialup internet; videos are pretty much a giant impossible for me.)

I liked "I've Only Got Eyes For You" because of how psychologically heavy it is in terms of examining how much Buffy feels that Angel going evil is all her fault. I like that everyone was thinking Buffy would end up playing the role of the woman in the ghost's reinactment, but it ended up being Angel. I thought the episode, particularly the ones of Buffy and Angel possessed at the end had some really good acting, and I liked the revelation at the end that Spike's all healed but has been hiding it, waiting.

"Go Fish" is one I usually skip if I'm doing a rewatch runthrough, so I'm with you on that one being yawn worthy.

Enjoy the "Becoming" two-part finale.
vacantlook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th 10, 02:49   #103
GKarsEye
First One

Quote:
: I don't think I've ever heard the Motorhead song.
Oh don't worry- if you've ever heard a Motorhead song, you've heard the Motorhead. They're one of those bands* where all their music sounds the same (except for the album Orgasmatron, and the less said about that one the better).

LEMMY!!!

Wikipedia says the ghost episode was what convinced Whedon that Angel could have his own show. Honestly... I wasn't feeling it until the very end, right up to the kiss. I'm sorry I'm just not diggin' the actor at all. To me all he has going for him is his looks- not just that he's so obviously gorgeous even to this straight boy, but that he makes the trench coat and 50s hair style work, and rocks the 'tude when he needs to (again, the smoke exhaling thing).

I think if I were to watch that episode on a different time I would feel it more, it was rather well done. The visuals at least were pretty sweet, with the wasps and the music room and all that.

The Spike twist was very good but not shocking. Mainly it serves to create anticipation for the finale- I mean we got the 3 baddest vamps we've yet seen, an emotionally tormented slayer, probably a second even hotter slayer (I'm expecting Kendra to return), possibly a werewolf... honestly the only things that would make this better, in terms of just coolness, are spaceships or zombies.

*awesome bands
"Most smart people cannot watch most TV, because it has generally been a condescending medium, explaining everything immediately, offering no ambiguities, and using dialogue that simplifies and mitigates against the idiosyncratic ways in which people in different worlds actually communicate. It eventually requires that characters from different places talk the same way as the viewer. This, of course, sucks." - David Simon
Old June 12th 10, 03:04   #104
GKarsEye
First One

Just clicked 'play' on the file, and it's an old-timey setting and irish-y sounding music. Quick guess... Angel backstory?

Yes! With bad accent and everything!
Old June 12th 10, 03:30   #105
vacantlook

Yes, the really bad Irish accent that David Boreanaz does as Angel is a thing of significant mockery. You get to see who the fancy woman drawing in the book is now, and interestingly, you already know her from season one.
Old June 12th 10, 03:54   #106
GKarsEye
First One

Quote:
Yes, the really bad Irish accent that David Boreanaz does as Angel is a thing of significant mockery. You get to see who the fancy woman drawing in the book is now, and interestingly, you already know her from season one.
Ok well if Julie Benz is supposed to be the woman in the book that doesn't make sense, or am I remembering it wrong. 'Cause didn't he say she "wasn't his type," when in fact he was in total love or lust with her and that's why he let her turn him? Or was he just lying to Buffy when he told her he didn't like fancy women to make her feel better?

Anyway, part 1 down and it was cool 'cause it was all Godfather 2 style, with the past and present shown at the same time.

Kendra! hot... though wearing practical clothes, as is Buffy, so looks like they heeded my advice. 'cept now she died, so, I guess my advice is bad.

Yet another demon that can bring forth Armageddon? There sure are a lot of them...

Did we really need the Whistler announcing "this will be a big moment in her life!"

The Whistler

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3Q2L1Tt1Hk

Why is Joss Whedon going through my record collection to name characters and episodes?
Old June 12th 10, 04:06   #107
vacantlook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKarsEye View Post
Ok well if Julie Benz is supposed to be the woman in the book that doesn't make sense, or am I remembering it wrong. 'Cause didn't he say she "wasn't his type," when in fact he was in total love or lust with her and that's why he let her turn him? Or was he just lying to Buffy when he told her he didn't like fancy women to make her feel better?
Angel's meet Darla several hundred years prior, and as we saw in season one, the two of them aren't exactly on the best of terms now. So, I'd say it's a good bit of his "type" changing over time and from experience.

Quote:
Yet another demon that can bring forth Armageddon? There sure are a lot of them...
And many, many more to come. Heh heh.
Old June 12th 10, 05:00   #108
GKarsEye
First One

So anyone reading this thread has seen the whole show, right? Ok, then let's play a game.

Let's pretend that after season 2, the series was canceled. The rest of the show and the spinoff didn't happen. So Buffy has everything taken away from her: mommy, school, social life, she kills her true love to save the world, and pulls a Bruce Banner type exit into the world, modeling herself after her peer- live alone because fate demands it. We know there are still villains out there, but we know that she's there to stop them.

Wouldn't that, dramatically, be one hell of an ending? Wouldn't that make everything we've seen so far pay off to the maximum? It would be the conclusion of the saga, the ultimate hero story.

Instead, I know that pretty soon she'll somehow find herself back in high school, Angel will come back, she'll have her friends, maybe even her mommy. I'm sure there will be consequences, and I'm sure I'll enjoy the rest of the show, but just the fact that there is more lessens the value of what these last two episodes did.

But more importantly, how can vampires smoke if they don't have breath?
Old June 12th 10, 05:19   #109
vacantlook

With the exception of seasons four and six, Joss specifically ended each season specifically so that it could serve as a series finale if the network decided to not renew the show. So yeah, the finale of season two could very much serve as the end of the show and it would be great. But I'm glad the show continued onward though because there's some more really good stuff that happens in future episodes.

Yeah, how can vamps smoke if they can't breathe? And how can they fuck if their hearts don't pump blood, and thus couldn't possibly let them get hard?
Old June 12th 10, 15:46   #110
GKarsEye
First One

Quote:
With the exception of seasons four and six, Joss specifically ended each season specifically so that it could serve as a series finale if the network decided to not renew the show.
Don't all shows do that? Some are given multi-year contracts, so they can have cross-season cliffhangers, but usually it's season-by-season.

Quote:
Yeah, how can vamps smoke if they can't breathe? And how can they fuck if their hearts don't pump blood, and thus couldn't possibly let them get hard?
But vampires do bleed, so it must be circulating somehow.