• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

JMS's new series?

JMS\'s new series?

Over at Aint it Cool News, a talkbacker posted that JMS has turned in the first script for a Lost spinoff series for which he will be showrunner. JMS confirms having just turned in the first script for a new series, but the LOST rumor has just popped up. Any ideas? What kind of spinoff could they possibly come up with? Could Mira be involved?

Re: JMS\'s new series?

Probably somebody just trying to start a rumor. JMS simply doesn't let out info like that until official announcements are made. Anyway, Lost film in Hawaii and JMS stated that the show he's involved in will shoot in Vancouver. He's also quoted in an Infuze Magazine interview as saying:

Can you tell us anything about the new tv show you've signed on to produce? I'm sure you can't reveal any major details, but will it appeal to Babylon 5 fans? Closer in tone to B5 or Jeremiah?

It's nothing like either one of them. Suffice to say that I think it will definitely be of interest to B5 fans and fans of science fiction in general.

Jan

Probably somebody just trying to start a rumor. JMS simply doesn't let out info like that until official announcements are made. Anyway, Lost film in Hawaii and JMS stated that the show he's involved in will shoot in Vancouver. He's also quoted in an Infuze Magazine interview as saying:

Can you tell us anything about the new tv show you've signed on to produce? I'm sure you can't reveal any major details, but will it appeal to Babylon 5 fans? Closer in tone to B5 or Jeremiah?

It's nothing like either one of them. Suffice to say that I think it will definitely be of interest to B5 fans and fans of science fiction in general.

Jan

I know JMS hasn't said anything, because I went to jmsnews first. It seemed like deluded wishful thinking. I'm prone to that myself. So... this show is also not the same show that was "a Marvel series" anymore? It's hard keeping up.

I think it's unlikely they would hand over part of the J.J. franchise to someone like JMS, who has no major TV network credit.

The next show to do with J.J. would be by J.J. I feel.

Over at Aint it Cool News, a talkbacker posted that JMS has turned in the first script for a Lost spinoff series for which he will be showrunner.

I'm not too sure that Lost could have a spinoff. It is a very contained story.

Now if JMS was invloved in Torchwood....

...oh, that's shooting in Wales not Vancouver. Pity.

JMS was involved with Jake and the Fatman, Walker: Texas Ranger and was a producer on Murder She Wrote. Whatever you think of the shows, they were all major network series and they were all quite successful. J.J. Abrams has had two hit series, one moderate success and Lost is hardly a franchise - just a TV show in its sophomore season.

And it is not impossible for there to be another series in the Lost universe. There are elements of the back story that could be explored in a whole different series in parallel to the island show, each feeding into the other without spoiling it. It would be quite a balancing act, but not impossible. They could do something with the backstory of the Dharma Corporation or project or whatever it is, or about another of their sites.

Having said all that, I don't think any of that is in the cards, or that JMS is going to be involved in some Lost spin-off. If Aint-it-Cool is a notoriously unreliable site in its "news" columns, it is almost entirely worthless when you get down to talkback posts. This sounds like somebody trying to stir the post by posting an insane rumor and then sitting back to watch everybody fight about it. Kicking over the ant hills, if you like. Chaos for its own sake.

Regards,

Joe

Lost is one of my favorite shows, but I really don't think I'd like a spinoff of it. I think they should let it go as it is...whatever that may be.

I call BS on this too. JMS is still imvolved in two series, check his post from around December time. One of them is a Marvel one, the other, who knows...

Yea, I don't really see this as being true either. But as far as Hawaii versus Canada, part of the mystery is a strong Canada connection in LOST.

Thing is, when JMS was talking about the new series that was someone else's LOST wasn't really on the radar yet, so, if this rumor has any merit, it would be something entirely different than any of the rumors/hints we've had in the past.

I guess we will wait and see. Its good to see that after all the fuss over TMOS, he's being a bit more Dr Mcoy about it all.

I hope JMS is using some obscure 80's marvel C list character, such as Machine Man or Dazzler, or someone really cool like Molecule Man.

Heck, now i'm just geeking out totallly.

I'm glad to hear things are in the works again. So many potential JMS projects have just seemed to fall apart over the past few years. I'm still waiting for S2 of Jeremiah! I think Lost is a fantastic show, and would love to see what JMS could do in that universe (or by joining the team and helping them make sure they have an arc that pays off!), however, this does seem like some fan-boy just stirring the pot.

Its good to see some familiar names around, and to see the Joe D. is still our master database! ;)

Amusing coincidence: The third season of Battlestar Galactica goes into production soon - in Vancouver. Wonder if JMS and Ronald Moore will ever bump into one another? :)

Regards,

Joe

Anyone else find it funny that we have a thread that is called "JMS's new series" with a question mark? I thought months ago it was announced that he DID have a new series. Shouldn't we have heard for sure by now if that was the case?

There's no question that there is a new series as JMS wrote in this post.. According to his post on January 30:
Having finished the TV script,
it seems that his original timetable of shooting in Vancouver in the spring is on target.

The question was 'which series is it?' rather than 'is there a series', I think.

Jan

This from a late 2005 post on the newsgroup...

It would seem that everything is now in place for the TV series that
hired me as show runner to go ahead, and I'm now starting on the first
script, which is due late January. Other writers have also been
quietly put to work. I don't want to say too much else about this
because there's still one last detail that needs to be ironed out at a
much higher level regarding the venue and the like, and I've had too
many things that were 99% go sideways at the last second for me to not
approach this like a Lucy-and-the-football situation...so we'll see,
but at the moment, things look like they're moving ahead.

As for the other series, the one I created, I can say this much now:
it's been purchased for development by Disney's Touchstone Television,
and we will be bringing it out to the networks this coming June at the
start of development season.

Two different studios are currently in negotiation to pick up the film
rights to "Midnight Nation," and another studio has offered to pick up
"Rising Stars" for a series for next year, but we'll see where that
goes...not all options go anywhere. "Dream Police" is now also in
development with another studio, and I've turned in a detailed outline
for the feature. They're now looking to pair up the material with the
right director so they can take it out formally to the film
marketplace.

WB has begun making inquiries here about doing a B5 DVD trivia game,
but that's still very much in the preliminary discussions stage, so
we'll see. (This would mainly utilize existing footage from the series
and TV movies.) I've also bee consulting with them about the coming
debut of B5 on AOL in January, and several related areas.

http://www.jmsnews.net/msg.aspx?id=1-17489

There's no question that there is a new series

Actually, there is, as JMS also wrote in that self-same post, reposted above. 99% sure is not the same thing as 100% sure and nothing in TV is ever 100%. (As witness whatzername's incredibly hyped series that was canned after one episode.) So things look very good for one JMS series, and there's the possiblity of another, but until film is in the can or an episode has been aired somewhere, nothing is certain. :)

Just doing my bit to spread a little sunshine. :)

Joe

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back