• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Dollhouse

Re: New Joss Whedon show

Huzzah for technology!

Lots of good guest stars on this season. I think Joss is going for broke, since he's probably only got 13 more episodes to play with.

I've been reluctant to post here, since I know I come on pretty strong -- but did anyone else check it out?

I've been reluctant to post here, since I know I come on pretty strong -- but did anyone else check it out?
Yea, not a bad re-start. Not the strongest episode, but, since we're restarting it wasn't bad, and the ending was pretty good, exposing more of Echo's mindset, that could play out very well.

Jamie Bamber looks good half dressed, and looks good acting all butch, but, as soon as he speaks he puts me to sleep. Felt the same way about Apollo's character too.

I liked the Dr. Saunders thread quite a bit, thought it was pretty well handled, and anxious to see where it goes.

Okay, last night's episode was rather impressively disturbing. The first five minutes alone are truly freaky... and then it gets better.

Here it is on Hulu, if you missed it.

Looks to me like they're setting the Doll House up for a fall, just too many mess-ups mounting up. I even wonder if our favorite ex-FBI guy may be a mole. If so, I'm sure he isn't the only one...

Oh my.

Okay, the unaired "Epitaph One" -- available on the DVD, and possibly nowhere else -- was designed to wrap things up in case the show didn't get renewed, but also leave the potential for future stories open. As such it's structured not a little like "War Without End" -- we get glimpses of the future, but only glimpses.

We also get a good long look at the year 2019, however... and folks, it really ain't pretty. You think they're setting the Dollhouse up for a fall, Jade? Broaden your vision.

The episode also has a commanding performance from Amy Acker (Doc Saunders/Whiskey) and Felicia Day (from Dr. Horrible). Check it out, I'm sure you'd love it.

You think they're setting the Dollhouse up for a fall, Jade? Broaden your vision.

Hmmm... so, whatever organization is behind the Doll House, be it governmental, or corporate, or probably a bit of both, is going down with DH? Or, do I broaden my vision even more, and it's aliens that made them do it? :D

I have a friend who usually watches Doll House with me. I'll tell him about Epitaph One, and he'll probably procure it for us to watch.

Addendum: I just read a detailed synopsis on the wikipedia, so I know what the ep shows...

Last edited:

Hmmm... so, whatever organization is behind the Doll House, be it governmental, or corporate, or probably a bit of both, is going down with DH?

Definitely a bit of both. As one of the people in charge of the whole organization says in the ep, "We've always been above the laws. Now we're writing them, too."

Hmmm... so, whatever organization is behind the Doll House, be it governmental, or corporate, or probably a bit of both, is going down with DH?

Definitely a bit of both. As one of the people in charge of the whole organization says in the ep, "We've always been above the laws. Now we're writing them, too."
Intriguing. I've gotta rent that disk (Do you know whick disk it is?) I have the entire first season that was aired already taped and put onto recorded DVD, so I hesitate to buy the set for just that one episode

It's the last disc of the set, which also includes the unaired pilot. It's available on iTunes for three bucks and tax, so that might be a good cost-effective way to round out your collection.

Yep, can't say as I'm surprised. Its ratings (even for a Friday Night) were always abysmal. And, to be honest, I'm not heartbroken. This show was no Firefly, Angel, or Buffy. It was good. It was not great. It had lots of potential, but there were maybe 2-3 episodes total that lived up to that potential --- and one of them was never aired and only available on the DVD set. I just never could get into this show as completely as Joss's other shows, or for that matter, some other shows on TV.

I have been keeping up with it, and even though this last episode was one of the strongest (amazing story and acting, and finally getting you attached to a couple of the characters) ... I am partly happy it got canceled.

Let Joss go back to the drawing board and come forward with another series idea. Found this one lacking in a strong premise, which caused people to not get attached to the characters (until it is to late for the show)

Maybe a show based on the Dr.Horrible musical is a good idea ... ;)

While I like what I've seen of Dollhouse, I have to agree with what Recoil and snockit have said.

Going by what I've heard, however, I have a feeling that the second season is really going to take off in the next few, and we're all going to be standing around saying, "Why did we fall in love with the show after it got canceled?"

I'm just pleased that Joss has time to write a good ending.

I'm sad it's going away, but, happy that it will get a proper ending. And yea, KF, I've gotten a strong feeling that we are in the height of the ramp up, which will make it more painful to see it go.

Not surprising though, we were lucky to get a second season. Many women who tried the show out have a major problem with the "Female abuse" that the show centers around.

lol ... so true about it likely becoming a great show now that we know it is going bye-bye ... :(

But yes, very good point that we shall at least get to see a solid ending play out.

Agreed on the woman abuse and use in the series turned people off, also, the lack of connection.

A good female friend of mine tried to watch it, but drifted away, mainly because she couldn't connect to any of the characters (expect maybe 'hot shirtless guy' as she called him); Being different personalities each week; and in variable situations. Now, we are seeing the personalities slowly emerging now, it is still to subtle sometimes. (ie. she liked Echo in the second episode, but not as much in the second one, etc...)

Many women who tried the show out have a major problem with the "Female abuse" that the show centers around.

This aspect has bothered me, too. It seems that much of the use of "Dollhouse" is as a high-tech brothel, and no one seems very concerned about that.

Back