• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

The "Firewall" Thread (Spoilers)

Re: The \"Firewall\" Thread (Spoilers)

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Theophilus:
<font color=yellow>The major point. That under-the-skin satellite transponder strikes me as being way beyond our current tech. Sure, you can builde a radio transmitter small enough to be implanted, and make it run off of the body's electrical field. But how much power can you crank through it? I frankly doubt it'd be enough to get a signal up to a satellite even if you were standing on the surface. (BTW, Mission Impossible 2 did this same stunt.) But a transmitter that can reach low earth orbit from under a hundred meters of rock, concrete and steel, in the bowels of Thunder Mountain? Come on...you couldn't built a transmitter to do that if you had a nuclear reactor to charge it.
</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>

Well. A nuclera reactor. /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif Yes you could do it. /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif
But using the bodys electrical signals for the same thing!?!? Nope.. not possible. Perhaps out in the open. But never through an entire mountain. Never. That was the only real problem I had with an otherwise excelent episode. /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

I am just sorry that major Quantrell had to die. He was such a wonderfull character. He could have become a favourite bad guy later after a while... he truly had the potential.

/Com

Corn:

>Well. A nuclear reactor. Yes you could do it.

If I'm not mistaken, nuclear subs have to surface to send their messages to a satellite.

Think about it. Thunder Mountain was built to protect not just from a blast but from radiation. Now, I'm a lousy electron-pusher, but that tells me that you simply can't push a radio signal up through a hundred meters of rock and steel.

I'm another electron-pusher of lacking skills. But I occasionally deal with wireless computer networks and model planes.

How radio waves penetrate matter... depends on their wavelength. In that sense, they resemble waves in water. If the wavelength is comparable to (or larger than) the dimensions of the obstacle, there is a good chance that waves will pass through.

While deep down, submarines use exactly this kind of systems - low frequency and high wavelength. Large antennas and slow data transfer, but penetrates most obstacles. Satellites typically use the opposite. High frequency, low wavelength. Lousy at penetration, but allows directional antennas and fast data transfer. Works with small antennas.

Hence to communicate with satellites, a submarine would indeed have to approach the surface. Given that an implanted transmitter cannot have a large antenna, and given that the receiver was supposed to be a satellite, I would deem this a flaw. There is no way it could work from a bunker.

>Satellites typically use the opposite. High frequency, low
>wavelength. Lousy at penetration, but allows directional
>antennas and fast data transfer. Works with small antennas.

Heh. So now I know why my satellite TV doesn't work during a rainstorm. Thanks.

the \'copter sequence

Can anyone tell me what's the deal with the black and white shot of the helicopters...it look rather unfinished.

Re: the \'copter sequence

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Genesis:
<font color=yellow>Can anyone tell me what's the deal with the black and white shot of the helicopters...it look rather unfinished.</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>

I guess they were just trying to be artisticaly creative. What is art to one man looks unfinished to another. /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

/Com

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back