B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5
Old July 19th 10, 23:41   #331
vacantlook

Re: Buffy the Vampire Slayer

You might like Fred more as the show continues. I'll admit that she's not super great in season three, but then I'm not all that fond of season three anyway. But I love Fred in seasons 4 and especially 5.

There might have been a couple bits of the Spike church scene that I wasn't crazy about, but as a whole, I did like the scene.

I freaking LOVE the two-sided scene of the Spike-Willow/Spike-Buffy-Xander conversation. Having two conversations simultaneously, but only getting to see half at a time was so very intersting. Also, note the part of Spike's conversation with Buffy: "Look at you glowing. What's a word means glowing?" (The word, of course, that he's looking for is effulgent. )
vacantlook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th 10, 04:22   #332
GKarsEye
First One

William's a bad man...

Buffy just assumed the principal is from "the hood." Racial sensitivity, not one of a slayer's powers.

A cult of boys wanting to sacrifice a girl to a demon to be rich and powerful = same plot as an older episode. A good example of how this show is not immune to the mighty GKarsEye "Double Album" construct of pop entertainment.
"Most smart people cannot watch most TV, because it has generally been a condescending medium, explaining everything immediately, offering no ambiguities, and using dialogue that simplifies and mitigates against the idiosyncratic ways in which people in different worlds actually communicate. It eventually requires that characters from different places talk the same way as the viewer. This, of course, sucks." - David Simon
GKarsEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th 10, 06:01   #333
GKarsEye
First One

Another 24 cross-over: Palmer's header of secret service is the father of the girl who prophecies her own death.

Also, let us throw fruit and various meats at Anya's ex-bf.
"Most smart people cannot watch most TV, because it has generally been a condescending medium, explaining everything immediately, offering no ambiguities, and using dialogue that simplifies and mitigates against the idiosyncratic ways in which people in different worlds actually communicate. It eventually requires that characters from different places talk the same way as the viewer. This, of course, sucks." - David Simon
Old July 20th 10, 06:37   #334
KoshFan
Soul Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKarsEye View Post
Spike's big dramatic crazy speech about his soul in a church- how'd that go over for everybody?
I love that scene. There are several bits of Spike that I have essentially memorized, and that's one.

Quote:
Also, let us throw fruit and various meats at Anya's ex-bf.
"Your hips are narrow, like a Baltic woman from a slightly more arid region."

The Generous Grasp
KoshFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd 10, 02:42   #335
GKarsEye
First One

"Conversations With Dead People" was.. um... interesting...

The girl Spike walked home and bit... I'm not supposed to recognize her am I? This will be expanded upon?

All of the "dead people" were separate incarnations of the first evil then? Planting divisions in Dawn's mind, obviously messing w/ Willow, getting rid of Spike's chip?, and other than comedic value, don't see the point of Buffy's little chat yet.
Old July 22nd 10, 03:26   #336
vacantlook

No, I don't remember the identity of the woman Spike walked home being a plot point.

Yes, the manifestations were the First. I still have a hard time letting go of the idea that Joyce was actually Joyce, but the official line is that it was all just the First fucking with Dawn. If I remember correctly, they had wanted the First messing with Willow to be in the form of Tara, but Amber Benson declined to return to the show for it. As for Spike, it didn't get rid of his chip, just temporarily neutralized it.

As for Buffy's conversation, it was to set up the idea of how being the one-and-only slayer can fuck with a person's psychology. How, because she's powerful and fights literal evil, she truly does think of herself a bit superior to other people, and how she kind of hates herself for feeling that way.
Old July 22nd 10, 13:17   #337
GKarsEye
First One

Well I mean what was the point from the FIrst One's perspective, what did she have to gain? Just to fuck with her head? To once again separate her from her friends?

And how did she know such intimate details about them, especially Tara and Willow?

I thought it was pretty clear Joyce wasn't really Joyce when she told Dawn not to trust Buffy- a clear attempt to create division.
Old July 22nd 10, 18:39   #338
vacantlook

Quote:
Well I mean what was the point from the FIrst One's perspective, what did she have to gain? Just to fuck with her head? To once again separate her from her friends?
Oh, I don't think Buffy's conversation with the vampire was a part of the First's activities; I think it was just something that happened simultaneously to the First messing with the others.

Quote:
And how did she know such intimate details about them, especially Tara and Willow?
By "she" do you mean the First taking on the form of Cassie or whatever that girl's name was? I imagine the First had spent time observing them or the First learned of them when Willow went evil at the end of season 6.

Quote:
I thought it was pretty clear Joyce wasn't really Joyce when she told Dawn not to trust Buffy- a clear attempt to create division.
I was expecting a future episode in which Buffy wasn't actually Buffy but was the First pretending to be her, as we saw the First take on Buffy's form at the end of the first episode of the season. I thought Joyce, being dead and connected to whatever's on the other side, was trying to warn Dawn about such a forthcoming event. I was expecting it to lead to everyone else trusting "Buffy" but Dawn knowing better and revealling that "Buffy" wasn't actually Buffy. But no.
Old July 22nd 10, 19:59   #339
GKarsEye
First One

Quote:
By "she" do you mean the First taking on the form of Cassie or whatever that girl's name was? I imagine the First had spent time observing them or the First learned of them when Willow went evil at the end of season 6.
Yes that's what I meant (and it was indeed "Cassie," short for Cassandra, who in Greek myth also could see horrible things in the future).

I would expect the first one to know the basics, that Willow's gf was killed, she went nuts, tried an apocolypse, etc. But about the singing on the bridge- that's some intimate shit right there.
Which btw, I love that they constantly reference that musical episode, even including a new Anya song as she was stabbed in the chest. I gotta say I was hesitant about keeping her around without her being tied to Xander but that and the Olaf backstory made it worth it.

Meanwhile in the last Angel episode I saw there's a ridiculous monster and Angel Jr nailed Cordelia. Ok, Angel writers, we get it, you're SO DARK.
Old July 22nd 10, 20:20   #340
vacantlook

Quote:
But about the singing on the bridge- that's some intimate shit right there.
Well, all the singing was caused by a demon, so it could've been through that that the First knew about it.

Quote:
Meanwhile in the last Angel episode I saw there's a ridiculous monster and Angel Jr nailed Cordelia. Ok, Angel writers, we get it, you're SO DARK.
I'm not sure exactly how they had originally planned on doing the story of the 4th season of Angel, but I do know that they had to modify it to deal with Charisma Carpenter (Cordelia) being pregnant in real life. I think having her and Connor boink was probably part of that restructuring of the story. It's also part of the season that I don't like.