B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5
Old July 12th 10, 05:56   #291
vacantlook

Re: Buffy the Vampire Slayer

At this point in the Buffy series, the show ceased to be broadcast by the WB and was picked up for its last two seasons by UPN. Meanwhile, Angel remained on the WB, which led to some really weird schedules for the two shows crossing over. I'm trying to remember, but I can't really remember much if any crossovers during the Buffy6/Angel3 season, so the strange scheduling isn't as big of a deal now as it is for Buffy7/Angel4.

At this point, if you want to watch the episodes in the order they were broadcast, you really need a list. Of course, I just so happen to have such lists. Here's the broadcast order for Buffy6/Angel3.

Angel -- Heartthrob
Angel -- That Vision Thing
Buffy -- Bargaining Part One
Buffy -- Bargaining Part Two
Angel -- That Old Gang of Mine
Buffy -- Afterlife
Angel -- Carpe Noctem
Buffy -- Flooded
Angel -- Fredless
Buffy -- Life Serial
Angel -- Billy
Buffy -- All The Way
Angel -- Offspring
Buffy -- Once More With Feeling
Angel -- Quickening
Buffy -- Tabula Rasa
Angel -- Lullaby
Buffy -- Smashed
Buffy -- Wrecked
Angel -- Dad
Buffy -- Gone
Angel -- Birthday
Angel -- Provider
Buffy -- Doublemeat Palace
Angel -- Waiting In The Wings
Buffy -- Dead Things
Buffy -- Older And Far Away
Angel -- Couplet
Angel -- Loyalty
Buffy -- As You Were
Angel -- Sleep Tight
Buffy -- Hell's Bells
Buffy -- Normal Again
Angel -- Forgiving
Angel -- Double or Nothing
Angel -- The Price
Buffy -- Entropy
Angel -- A New World
Buffy -- Seeing Red
Angel -- Benediction
Buffy -- Villains
Angel -- Tomorrow
Buffy -- Two To Go
Buffy -- Grave

The last two seasons of Buffy definitely have a slightly different feel to them. One, UPN let them do things that I don't think the WB would have ever let them do. Two, Joss eventually let other executive producers he'd been working with on the shows have a bit more control of the show as when Buffy7/Angel4 were being done, so too was Firefly, and Firefly took up a lot of Joss's time.

Buffy6 evokes a lot of feelings within the fandom; some fans really don't like the season. Like all seasons, really though, 6 has some really good moments and some not so good moments. As a whole, I think 6 is the darkest season when it comes to the tone of the story.
vacantlook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th 10, 15:31   #292
GKarsEye
First One

Don't be silly, VL, Buffy's dead, there can't possibly be any more episodes.
"Most smart people cannot watch most TV, because it has generally been a condescending medium, explaining everything immediately, offering no ambiguities, and using dialogue that simplifies and mitigates against the idiosyncratic ways in which people in different worlds actually communicate. It eventually requires that characters from different places talk the same way as the viewer. This, of course, sucks." - David Simon
GKarsEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th 10, 16:11   #293
KoshFan
Soul Hunter

...And Babylon 5 had such a great ending in "Into the Fire." Fantastic finish, watching the Shadows and Vorlons leave!

The Generous Grasp
KoshFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th 10, 16:54   #294
GKarsEye
First One

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoshFan View Post
...And Babylon 5 had such a great ending in "Into the Fire." Fantastic finish, watching the Shadows and Vorlons leave!
But those aren't main chartacters! No, this would be like if, say, John Sheridan died at the end of a season, and the show kept going. I mean, that would be ridiculous.

By the way can I just point out how awesome the whole thing with putting the book on the shelf is? I mean the whole Willow-in-Buffy's-coma thing was great, but that little detail of how it was this mundane moment where Buffy had this moment of doubt that she focuses on... brilliant.
"Most smart people cannot watch most TV, because it has generally been a condescending medium, explaining everything immediately, offering no ambiguities, and using dialogue that simplifies and mitigates against the idiosyncratic ways in which people in different worlds actually communicate. It eventually requires that characters from different places talk the same way as the viewer. This, of course, sucks." - David Simon
Old July 12th 10, 17:54   #295
Sindatur
Techno-mage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKarsEye View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoshFan View Post
But those aren't main chartacters! No, this would be like if, say, John Sheridan died at the end of a season, and the show kept going. I mean, that would be ridiculous.

"Jump...Jump Now"

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th 10, 18:14   #296
vacantlook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKarsEye View Post
By the way can I just point out how awesome the whole thing with putting the book on the shelf is? I mean the whole Willow-in-Buffy's-coma thing was great, but that little detail of how it was this mundane moment where Buffy had this moment of doubt that she focuses on... brilliant.
Yeah, I love that. It's such an otherwise simple moment, but freaked up by having it repeated, and repeated in an uneven, unrhythmic manner.

I also love a couple episodes before that when Willow goes all superwitch on Glory. It's hard to not cheer at the "I owe you pain!" line. And I love how concerned beaten-up Spike is over Dawn feeling like it's all her fault.

And I love how many aspects come back from earlier in the season for the final battle against Glory: like that glowing orb, the troll's hammer, and the Buffy bot.
Old July 14th 10, 03:17   #297
GKarsEye
First One

So now that the show moved to another network did they have to re-record the theme song? Sounds like a different performance.
Old July 14th 10, 04:34   #298
vacantlook

The theme was rerecorded at some point, but I thought it was back for season three; they logo of the show was changed for season three as well. If it was rerecorded for season six, I don't remember it.
Old July 14th 10, 15:48   #299
GKarsEye
First One

Marathon viewing of the first chunk of season 6 last night while working/on-call.

I know this gets slammed by some fans but except for one part of it, it seems like the strongest beginning of a season yet So far it seems this show's seasons start off weak and end strong, making this the best opening batch of episodes yet.

The one part I don't like (at least yet) is the evil nerd triumvirate. This is the kind of idea that seems funny on paper- let's take 3 losers from previous story lines and make them Lex Luthor-like. Maybe it's even the only logical place to go- I mean, where can you after a god? You go with comedy, you scale it down at first, I get it. But it's just not working for me. Maybe it's the actors, I don't know.

Other than that. I love everything else. Willow becoming scary-powerful- finally she has something important to do again. And Buffy having been in what she interprets as heaven- this is probably the only way to make her 2nd resurrection in the show interesting instead of retarded.

By 1am I was done with the 6th episode and instead of wisely going to bed, I saw the next episode was called "Once More With Feeling," knew that was the famous musical, and ended up watching it. For now I'll simply say I was blown away by it. Will post more later, and probably re-watch it this week.
Old July 14th 10, 17:35   #300
admiraldave
First One

I was underwhelmed with Sixth season, but "Once More, With Feeling", and it's follow-up "Tabula Rasa" are two of Buffy's finest episodes.

Luck favors the prepared. - Edna Mode
admiraldave is offline   Reply With Quote