B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5
Old July 6th 10, 15:55   #261
Pobman
Ambassador

Re: Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKarsEye View Post
Gonna watch the 7th episode of each now.

The one bit of dialogue that sums of Spike best was during a fight that went something like
"I had a plan. It was really good and well thought-out"
"So what happened?"
"I got bored."

As the ultimate id character, they wrote him in a way that nothing has to make any sense and he can do whatever for any reason at any time, so now he can love Buffy or whatever I guess.
Blimey, you're getting through these quickly. I am 6 episodes away from the very end of Buffy (I watched the first 5 seasons of Buffy first time round and quit a few episodes into season 6, but I am now rewatching them all with my wife).

Despite the speed you are viewing these at, I think I will start a separate thread when I finally get to the end, so I can discuss it freely without spoiling it for you.
Pobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th 10, 22:35   #262
KoshFan
Soul Hunter

Quote:
Tara also is not a "rebound" relationship. Harmony might have been for Spike. Speaking of... what's up with him loving Buffy now? That just sort of flew in from nowhere. But then this show does that.
Not quite nowhere. Remember the conversation Spike had with Faith in Buffy's body?

I think Spike's always had latent feelings for Buffy -- he connects sex and violence so closely, and Buffy is his greatest antagonist -- but when Faith talked about how she could ride him until his legs turned to jelly, that's when he realized that Buffy is also freakin' hot.

In the very next episode, we see Spike caress Buffy's face (she tolerates it because she's been playing second fiddle to Jonathan), and in the episode after that, Spike spontaneously volunteers to help Buffy out of a jam. He talks himself out of it, but the impulse was there.

Quote:
As the ultimate id character, they wrote him in a way that nothing has to make any sense and he can do whatever for any reason at any time, so now he can love Buffy or whatever I guess.
Oh, he's the ultimate id character, and therefore what he's doing now makes a lot of sense. At least to me.

The Generous Grasp
KoshFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th 10, 22:40   #263
GKarsEye
First One

This is pretty much my only entertainment these days, all the other TV shows I liked are either over (Lost), on hiatus (Breaking Bad, Treme), or are no longer interesting to me (Burn Notice, Family Guy). Louis just started to there's that but it's only half an hour. No movies I really wanna see. And I just bought Red Dead Redemption for PS3 but I'm not really getting into it yet. So when I'm home these days, I'm chillin' with Buffy 'n' pals.

Didn't get to episodes 7 last night so that'll be tonight...

The two biggest mysteries at the beginning of season 5 was revealed: what's the deal with Dawn (some sort of energy McGuffin that Buffy has to protect) and what's the deal with Tara (misogynistic family- including Amy Adams!- uses demonology as a metaphor for gender discrimination). I also got an arch-villain, clearly modeled after every man's worst ex-girlfriend-turned-nightmare: beautiful, fashionable, and fucking crazy.
"Most smart people cannot watch most TV, because it has generally been a condescending medium, explaining everything immediately, offering no ambiguities, and using dialogue that simplifies and mitigates against the idiosyncratic ways in which people in different worlds actually communicate. It eventually requires that characters from different places talk the same way as the viewer. This, of course, sucks." - David Simon
GKarsEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th 10, 00:31   #264
vacantlook

Fun actress fact: the chick playing the Big Bad of season five was in Bring It On, which also had Eliza Dushku. The character in Bring It On that she played was the one that was known for not wearing her underwear or whatever under her cheerleading uniform and she was best friends with some asian chick, who was also in an episode of Buffy (the alternate reality episode "The Wish" in season three) as well as the original unbroadcast pilot for Buffy.
vacantlook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th 10, 03:01   #265
GKarsEye
First One

"My soul is wrapped in harsh repose,
Midnight descends in raven-colored clothes,
But soft... behold!
A sunlight beam
Butting a swath of glimmering gleam.
My heart expands,
'tis grown a bulge in it,
Inspired by your beauty...
Effulgent."

London goth settings, ninja and afro slayers, Darla's reactions to Drusilla's wackiness. This episode made me effulgent.

Quote:
Bring It On, which also had Eliza Dushku.
Oh, ever red-blooded American man knows that she was in that movie. Even now, to me she's a cheerleader before she's a vampire slayer.
"Most smart people cannot watch most TV, because it has generally been a condescending medium, explaining everything immediately, offering no ambiguities, and using dialogue that simplifies and mitigates against the idiosyncratic ways in which people in different worlds actually communicate. It eventually requires that characters from different places talk the same way as the viewer. This, of course, sucks." - David Simon
Old July 7th 10, 18:08   #266
KoshFan
Soul Hunter

Fool for Love is always one of my very favorite episodes.

The Generous Grasp
Old July 7th 10, 19:28   #267
vacantlook

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoshFan View Post
Fool for Love is always one of my very favorite episodes.
It's one I particularly enjoy too. I love seeing past slayers, and I love the ending on the porch.
Old July 7th 10, 19:37   #268
GKarsEye
First One

So there's only one slayer in the whole world at one time, and there are vampires and demons everywhere? That hardly seems fair.
Old July 7th 10, 19:50   #269
KoshFan
Soul Hunter

Nope! There's a reason there's only one slayer, though; you'll learn it later.

It's also worth noting that we frequently see or hear of ordinary humans dealing with vampires and demons, if only by sheer weight of numbers; Drusilla was nearly killed by a mob in Prague, and the Judge was dismembered by an army. Angel (the show) also gives us numerous examples of human vampire fighters, usually working as a team. You've met Gunn already; you'll meet several more.

So yeah, the Slayer's on her own, but humans aren't totally helpless if they know what's going on.

The Generous Grasp
Old July 8th 10, 05:19   #270
vacantlook

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoshFan View Post
It's also worth noting that we frequently see or hear of ordinary humans dealing with vampires and demons, if only by sheer weight of numbers; Drusilla was nearly killed by a mob in Prague, and the Judge was dismembered by an army. Angel (the show) also gives us numerous examples of human vampire fighters, usually working as a team. You've met Gunn already; you'll meet several more.
Another one to add to the list is the knight that originally stabbed Acathla in the chest with the sword that turned the demon to stone. And Whistler shows that there are some demons even that work to try to prevent demon badness from occurring.