• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Red Dwarf : Back to Earth

Bester

Regular
Anyone else watching this? The 3-part story began last night on Dave. I was very disappointed with the first episode. No Holly, no audience laughter, newly designed ship internals, poor story, and no resolution to the season 8 cliffhanger makes for a very disappointing outing. There were also parts where I really got the impression that the actors were struggling to get back into character. Shame. I was hoping for so much more.

Anyone else watching this? The 3-part story began last night on Dave. I was very disappointed with the first episode. No Holly, no audience laughter, newly designed ship internals, poor story, and no resolution to the season 8 cliffhanger makes for a very disappointing outing. There were also parts where I really got the impression that the actors were struggling to get back into character. Shame. I was hoping for so much more.

i agree with everything you just said, but would add that the way they have aged specifically chris barrie (who really doesn't look good for it) is a wee bit depressing.

The reviewers have said that the first part was the worst.... but yeah it was pretty lukewarm.

Yes I thought the addition of Kochanski damaged the dynamic (for me the show jumped shark with Stoke Me A Clipper),but she did deserve a proper send off.

Norman Lovett's dulcet tones and deadpan humour were clearly missing.

Russian hologram - do we really need her?

I didn't want Red Dwarf to be a romp around Corrie... I was hoping they might resolve some of the plot threads from the first two seasons (which I guess was never going to happen after Grant and Naylor fell out).

I'll see what the next two episodes have to offer... but I think they may have made a mistalke splitting it into three.

A new story, bringing together the old actors, made 10 years after the end of the series, using modern CG to create a new version of the old sets, but ultimately unsatisfying due to a questionable script. Reminds me of something else...can't quite think what... ;)

Last edited:
A new story, bringing together the old actors, made 10 years after the end of the series, using modern CG to create a new version of the old sets, but ultimately unsatisfying due to a questionable script. Reminds me of something else...can't quite think what... ;)

Don't go there...

That way leads only to pain, misery and sadness.:devil::p

No idea. But it's probably sponsored by Warner Bros, judging by all the geeky Blade Runner references.

i thought parts of the second episode were excellent, especially the warhammer shoutout, the guys from my league loved that. but the general setup is pretty bad, and not even original.

I saw the first one, and half of the second. Gotta echo your thoughts. Just sat there not laughing, thinking "what is this?"

It needed to be something more than a mere rehash of Back to Reality really... although towards the end of the last part it started to make a bit of ground... too little too late.

I honestly think after so long away, they should have written several dummy scripts and got back into the habit of being a dwarfer (and I mean the writers and production team as much as the actors). That way they could have dismissed the weaker scripts and when they were back in the drift, come out with something really special.

Guess that would take time and money and in this world... it's not something a lot of people have patience for.

When I initially watched these, I was very unhappy....but I rewatched and actually enjoyed (I think it was because the expectations had been removed as they were always going to be soooooo much higher than possible)

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back