B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5

Go Back   B5TV.COM > Babylon 5, Crusade and Rangers > B5.world

View Poll Results: Favorite recurring character: Season 2
A -- Excellent 33 78.57%
B -- Good 9 21.43%
C -- Average 0 0%
D -- Poor 0 0%
F -- Failure 0 0%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 13th 15, 02:17   #51
Lennier's Tears
Ambassador

Re: EpDis: Signs And Portents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorvo View Post
What's more, I don't think you can appreciate an episode like this properly without watching the previous, largely unrelated episodes--they build up backstory, foreshadowing, character development, all of which flower at a moment like this (example: the clear friendship between Garibaldi and Sinclair which has its "payoff" here--without earlier episodes, that wouldn't make sense). All stories with really powerful "payoff" moments seem to do this--Frodo unexpectedly destroying the Ring with Gollum's unintended help, Odysseus finally unmasking himself to the suitors, Hector's death at Achilles' hands. Without the hundreds of pages of prior buildup, the payoff loses its effect.
I think that's both true and well-put. Still, I feel Signs and Portents is really more of a "build" episode than a "reveal" episode (like, say, The Fall of Night, or War Without End). Then again, there's no reason an episode can't be a little bit of both
Old August 8th 21, 16:15   #52
Moonface
Ranger

I'm now about to make the recap of this episode, and as always, I do some extra homework by reading what you had to say about this episode.

What struck me was how badly I misremembered this detail:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estelyn View Post
One thing that hasn't been mentioned is Delenn "playing" with those coloured glass pieces. Only much later do we find out the significance of that structure - an important arc detail that isn't even mentioned, only shown without comment. Well done - signs and portents indeed!
In my mind, Delenn started "playing" with those AFTER she recognized Morden as Shadow affiliate, because at that moment she knew she had to build the chrysalis and set that arc in motion even though the grey council did not approve (as we learn later on), so she could unite the Humans and the Minbari for what's about to come.

But I had that completely wrong! She started that way earlier it seems. And I seem to have missed a few steps, but I'm not quite sure when she started.

That leaves me quite puzzled! I never really understood WHY she made the crysallis, even with the (wrong) explanation I just gave above. Now, that I have to accept, that she started even before she spoke to Morden, it does not make any sense anymore.

Can anyone enlighten me please?
Moonface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th 21, 16:24   #53
Looney
Telepath

Start Season One again and watch it in B5Historyman's "Chronological" order for answers. Or you can read page one of that thread in the B5.FAQ section.

Simplest answer I can give is that once she discovered who Sinclair was she always knew she was going to.
Looney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th 21, 17:34   #54
RommieSG
First One

She always believed in the prophecy, and her part in the prophecy, despite the dismissal of the Grey Council.
Old August 8th 21, 18:08   #55
Moonface
Ranger

Wow you guys are fast Thanks for the hints!
Old August 15th 21, 05:02   #56
Looney
Telepath

Yeah I wish I could be here all day every day ready to respond, but unfortunately that is impossible as evidenced by how long it has been for another response. You just caught me at the right moment.
Old August 28th 21, 19:57   #57
RW7427

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonface View Post
Are you an assassin of joy?
Old August 29th 21, 02:53   #58
Looney
Telepath

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW7427 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonface View Post
Are you an assassin of joy?
Moonface has not been an "assassin of joy" .......................................... yet.
Old August 29th 21, 09:44   #59
Moonface
Ranger

Well, my first post was a mathematical analysis of special die, that act kind of like Rock paper scissors to proof NorrinRadd wrong, and "broke Looney's brain" along the way, so I've been the assassin of joy at least in some sense :P
Old September 1st 21, 02:50   #60
RW7427

Well, welcome to the forums then