• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

What are you watching now?

Well, I just watched the second to last episode of Firefly. Disappointing that its almost over, but its a lot of fun.

I also saw the new Blade Runner - Final Cut. Not much different then the Directors Cut, but some small improvements. I really enjoyed seeing it again, I think its definitely a movie that benefits from many viewings.

I just re-watched Blade Runner the other night. I think the movie was way ahead of its time and still is. Beautifully done.

And yes, Firefly--sad it's so short, isn't it? I think my favorite episode was "Out of Gas."

Finished Firefly and Serenity. Great stuff, short, but at least with the movie it seems ended. You can sort of look at the whole thing as a large miniseries, even if every last plot point isn't resolved. Had it gone on say... 3 seasons, I could definitly see if being up there with my favorite shows.

Blade Runner- It was way ahead of its time, but times are catching up. I'm making my way through the 3 hour plus documentary about the movie on the second DVD. Lots of interesting stuff, but might be a bit too detailed if you aren't really into the movie.

I watched a strange 1965 Italian scifi film called The Wild, Wild Planet. It looked pretty good for its era, with lots of models, futuristic cars, etc. The plot was pretty strange, in that the top bad guy wanted to merge with his idea of the perfect female. At one point, we see a good looking woman shaving, implying that she merged with a "perfect male." All the bad stuff is done by an evil corporation, a common plot point now, but not so much then. It was on Turner Classic Movies.

Just finished watching Firefly also. Hadn't watched any since it originally aired on tv. My wife watched it with me but wasn't that impressed with it. She's not into sci fi shows all that much but she enjoyed some of the eps. I think tonight I will have her watch Serenity.

The other night I watched the French movie, City of Lost Children. The visuals were impressive but I have to admit it was kind of odd. But at the same time it was nice to see Ron Pearlman.

I just watched a very unusual film on Cinemax. It is called The Fountain. I would describe it as a sort of cosmic-Zen-Mayan Sci Fi fantasy love story. It stars Hugh Jackman and Rachel Weisz, and was directed by Darren Aronofsky, the guy who directed Pi. It will be on again on Feb. 3rd. Check it out if you get the chance.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0414993

It's the next movie for me to watch and is waiting on my Dish network HDDVR. I just finished watching "Lucky Number Slevin."

I've read mixed things. I do like "weird" movies sometimes and Pi and Requiem For A Dream, but for some reason I haven't felt a desire to watch this.

I sat "The Fountain." Still wondering What the heck was going on with the floating tree of mystical wonder.

Alluveal, look up The Fountain on the wikipedia. They have a good analysis. May not definitively answer your question, but, they do make sense.

The Fountain was directed by Aronofsky, the guy that did Requiem For a Dream and Pi, I believe. Between that and the eye-candy of Rachel Weisz, this should be a must-see for me, but for some reason I'm not seeking it out. Maybe later.

Right now I'm going through the Rocky series. Yeah yeah, go ahead and laugh, I don't care- I love Rocky. I found a box set with all the movies for $50- how could I resist? And I don't care what anyone says- the first two movies are genuinely great. 3 is stupid but still supremely entertaining and 4, which I watched yesterday, is even more terrible than I remember. I haven't seen 6 yet, but first I have to bring myself to watch 5... blech. So bad it's good.

I'm rewatching X-Files, building up to the new film this summer. I can't wait! It'll be good to see Mulder and Scully back in action. I'm really enjoying revisiting it again and am up to about halfway through season 4.

My roommate and I have also just starting watching an old childhood favorite of mine, Wild Wild West! It's Star Trek meets Bond in the old west and it's campy and fun. I remember as a child I watched the reruns and loved the gadgets and such. It's still just as brainlessly entertaining and fun now as it was then.

We also just rewatched Elizabeth and followed it with Elizabeth: The Golden Age both in HD. They looked fantastic and I'm reminded of what a wonderful actress Cate Blanchett is. Really makes me excited for the new Indy film since she's the villian.

We're also beginning DS9 from the top. It's been a long time since I watched it and while DS9 and Voyager were the shows that I realized B&B were killing Trek on, DS9 had the most redeeming qualities of the two, so we're giving it another look. It's still no B5 and never will be.

CE

I liked The Fountain ok, but I wouldn't recommend it to just anyone. You have to have a pretty open mind about movies and be willing to suspend a short attention span for appreciation of smaller things. The movie was visually stunning--and I mean breathtaking. I haven't seen anything that visually stimulating since The Cell.

Jade, I'll look it up. I need to watch it again, too, after I do so I can see through another lens (so to say.)

As for X-Files, YEAH! That sounds like a great idea--to re-watch that from beginning to end. I always see it on TBS or Sci-Fi, but never in order, and it's ALWAYS the same damn episode I see: friggin' flukeman in the sewer. Enough with tapeworm+man=entertainment. Boring episode. Gimme some Krycek one-armed man sheeet and Skinner punching Cancer man. That's what I'm talkin' about.

And the first Elizabeth movie was awesome. I haven't seen the second one yet. I definitely plan to.

I JUST SAW THE DEPARTED. I had to write that in all capital letters. What the heck is wrong with me that I waited THIS LONG to see the movie? It's the best of its genre (imho) since Heat. Leo is an awesome actor and Mark Wahlberg stole the show. =)

I tried watching "the Number 23" and couldn't get through it. It was such a disaster.

The Departed was just so dang gloomy. And everybody who mattered died really fast. Heat was better, I think.

I dropped HBO from my cable package, and got a DVR recorder. For some reason, this switch came with a bunch of new channels (sadly, none of them BBC international). I've been eating up the International History Channel, the Science Channel, and even some of the Fox movie channel.

It's also nice to be able to record again, even if it is temporary. What amazed me is that with all of this, I'm still paying less (like $20 or $30 dollars a month) than when I had HBO, which I rarely watched.

Tomorrow, or whenever I decide to make the time, I'm watching TCM's airing of "Amistad". I've seen a small bit of the movie before, and it looks quite good.

This is the month to record TCM. Leading into the Oscar awards ceremony, "Oscar month" on TCM is when they play all movies and features that were at least nominated for an Oscar award.

It is rather fun. Even if the Oscars are just Hollywood stimulating interest in their movies, it does provide a very nice selection of films

Back