B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5

Go Back   B5TV.COM > Babylon 5, Crusade and Rangers > B5.related

Old August 13th 19, 15:27   #1
Looney
Telepath

Babylon 5 Complete Series VUDU Sale

I looked at my VUDU Wishlist and the complete series bundle is FINALLY on sale. Normally $69.99 = right now $49.99. I know that my not seem like a steal-of-a-deal, but VUDU's source is in the original aspect ratio.

Babylon 5 Complete Series Bundle

"CAN CONFIRM" the original aspect ratio. I also can confirm that the source did not look that great, but I don't have the best internet.

IT IS JUST SEASON 1-5, NO MOVIES OR SPIN-OFFS
Looney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd 19, 15:50   #2
Looney
Telepath

Re: Babylon 5 Complete Series VUDU Sale

So did anyone else make this purchase? I am surprised this didn't generate more discussion.
Old September 24th 19, 10:52   #3
KoshN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looney View Post
So did anyone else make this purchase? I am surprised this didn't generate more discussion.
Most probably already have it all on DVD.
Max Eilerson: "The story of my life. I finally find a city like this, intact, deserted for ten thousand years. Probably contains hundreds of patents that I could exploit and I'm going to die. I can appreciate dramatic irony as much as the next person, but this is pushing it a bit."
KoshN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th 19, 15:24   #4
Looney
Telepath

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoshN View Post

Of course they do. With a backup DVD set just in case, several of the VHS, most of the Laser Discs, and quite a few on recorded VHS. BUT here is, or was, a chance to have the entire series, or most of it, in the original aspect ratio.
Old September 24th 19, 20:18   #5
Springer
Ambassador

I assume VUDU is a US thing? I clicked the link but it just opened a blank page.

I'd definitely be interested in having the series in the original 4:3 aspect ratio –presumably this would improve the FX quality and it would look just like it did when it originally aired?

I'd also heard that the Laser Discs are in 4:3 aspect ratio, and that they're probably the best quality released, but I've never got a firm answer on that.
Springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th 19, 03:31   #6
KoshN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looney View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoshN View Post

Of course they do. With a backup DVD set just in case, several of the VHS, most of the Laser Discs, and quite a few on recorded VHS. BUT here is, or was, a chance to have the entire series, or most of it, in the original aspect ratio.
I just wish they would have come out with the complete series, ALL of it, including the movies and Crusade on Laserdisc and on DVD in 4:3 without the cropped CGI.
Max Eilerson: "The story of my life. I finally find a city like this, intact, deserted for ten thousand years. Probably contains hundreds of patents that I could exploit and I'm going to die. I can appreciate dramatic irony as much as the next person, but this is pushing it a bit."
Old September 25th 19, 03:35   #7
KoshN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springer View Post
I assume VUDU is a US thing? I clicked the link but it just opened a blank page.

I'd definitely be interested in having the series in the original 4:3 aspect ratio –presumably this would improve the FX quality and it would look just like it did when it originally aired?

I'd also heard that the Laser Discs are in 4:3 aspect ratio, and that they're probably the best quality released, but I've never got a firm answer on that.
The complete series was not released on Laserdisc. All of Seasons 1 & 5, part of 2 & 4, and none of 3 were released. They were 4:3, and were the highest quality of the CGI. I sold my set.
Old September 25th 19, 04:02   #8
Looney
Telepath

Yes VUDU is a U.S. thing. It is a digital service owned by Wal-Mart that you can buy legal digital versions of stuff as well as unlock codes from Blu-Ray and DVD purchases. Do you have the MOVIES ANYWHERE App or iTunes digital copies?

You know the craziest thing about those VHS and Laserdisc releases is how they did it. I know they were trying to capitalize on the newness of Season 5, but who ever heard of releasing a series 1, 5, 2, 4, 3. I guess we all have.
Old September 25th 19, 14:07   #9
Kraig
First One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springer View Post

One of the reasons I use a VPN, besides security. I like watching shows on BBC iplayer.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart’s desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” — H. L. Mencken, Baltimore Evening Sun, 26 July 1920

"I've been on food stamps and welfare, did anybody help me out? No. No."
-- Craig T. Nelson
Kraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th 19, 14:56   #10
Springer
Ambassador

Thanks for the info about the Laserdiscs KoshN. Other than the pilot, I'm not sure they were ever released over here, though I recall seeing some on sale at a convention, probably as imports. So they're pretty rare, there are none for sale on eBay or Amazon marketplace in the UK. If I ever have the time and the money I might get a laserdisc player and hunt them down from US sellers.

Looney, did the US not get the entire series on VHS? I know the laserdiscs were released in a funny and incomplete order, but I didn't realise that the VHS was released concurrently with them. Here in the UK everything was released in order, I think the videos for season 1 came out during when season 2 was airing. I had all of them, plus boxsets of the TV movies and Crusade (and spent a fortune on them, £10-13 for two episodes – that's where all my pocket money went as a teenager!), they took up most of a small bookcase! I've thrown most of them away now as they were taking up space in my parent's loft, though I kept the FX-heavy episodes knowing that the DVDs didn't do them justice, and kept the sleeves of the videos that I did throw out (lots of nostalgia wrapped up in those cover sleeves!). I've got a few episodes from iTunes, I've been meaning to download the whole show though.
Springer is offline   Reply With Quote