• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Kosh and Song

Give 'em a break, RW.

Even JMS has admitted the rather funny similarity in form, I think.

Kosh and song. :)

The one about "Listen to the music, not the song"...
Well, the song is the lyrics, the words, and the main "message" of the piece is within those words.
But the music itself is more subtle, it sets the tone, the mood, the style...
As in, don't look at just the message, but the way in which it is presented? I can't remember the episode or why he said it, but it's a possible meaning, I think.

My thoughts on "listen to the music, not the song" and Kosh's focus on music:
I cannot help but link the Vorlon philosophy of harmony to the 16th century Elizabethan world view. The connection to music reminds me of the music of the spheres, the song of harmony.
I think "listen to the music, not the song" means: not the single instance (a song, an individual, an event) brings understanding, but the perception of its composition, the underlying principles, the elements it is made of.

By the way, I'm new here, so hello everyone :) I've been watching the forum regularly for the last few months, but now with all the news coming our way I simply had to join.

Well hello there, Telepath. :)

Welcome aboard. Yes, this is a great site to keep up on JMS's activities and his musings. Or just to chat.

First off hello to telepath :beer:

My take on the whole song music thing is as follows.
The Vorlons were telepathic as we know and extremely powerful.The song is the individuals thoughts "singing" out.The music would be the "symphony" of all the voices singing together.

By this line of thinking Kosh would be saying don't listen to the individual but to the people as a whole,which would fall into the Vorlons way of thinking.Sherridan's song was for a time strong enough to change the music,as what he did brought the races together and brought about the ISA he changed peoples way of thinking.

Or as has been said it could of been just something weird that JMS through in to confuse us. :rolleyes:

The telepathy/ music allegory is a common one in a lot of science fiction literature.

I always took it as a reference the to Julian May series about living starships, including 'The ship who sang' or somesuch. (I'm such a great librarian, look how well I cite stuff...) :p

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back