• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Dave Chappelle's Block Party

GKarsEye

Regular
Dave Chappelle\'s Block Party

Fans of Dave Chappelle probably are aware of his movie that came out to the theaters today, which is really more of a concert documentary.

The premise here is that he throws a "block party," presented as short-notice concert, in the Bedford-Stuyvesant neighborhood of Brooklyn, NY (immortalised in Spike Lee's film "Do the Right Thing").

The acts are all hip-hop, what some call "progressive" hip-hop, in that they are not MTV darlings or thug-life cookie-cutter acts. The artists are personal friends of Chappelle and musicians he admires, including The Roots, Erykha Badu, Mos Def, Common, Talib Kweli, Kanye West, Big Daddy Kane, relatively new hip-hop/R&B sensation Jill Scott, and black-power political rappers Dead Prez.

Chappelle horses around in between, including sweet segments where he invites people from his hometown in Ohio to come out of the show, including an excited all-black marching band from a local college.

The general feel of the film and the concert is celebrating their culture while being inclusive. Even people who don't like rap for various reasons ("my hearing is too bad to hear the lyrics," "too many bad words") are accepted and accepting.

Anyone who accepts hip-hop as a vital musical form, or is at least open to the possibility, will enjoy this immensely. I left the theater just feeling really, really happy.

Re: Dave Chappelle\'s Block Party

I'm not sure I'll be going to see this, but Chappelle's stuff is growing on me. He's a little too much for me at points, but he also gets some real zingers in on his show. (The Wayne Brady bit was just hilarious, and my entire house spent about three months parodying his Lil' John take.)

I take him with a little salt but he's done some good stuff.

Just keep in mind that this movie is really as much, if not more music than comedy.

I've been debating if this movie will be a theater experience or thrown to the top of my netflix queue when it comes out. Is this a flick that lends itself particularly well to the theater experience?

I think it depends on the crowd. I went to a showing with a mostly black New York audience, so it was a lot of fun.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back