• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Some of what the Sci Fi Channel is really thinking.

Kribu

Administrator
Hypatia, I think it is The New York Times.
smile.gif

------------------
"It's animal magnetism. What can I say?"
- G'Kar, A Tragedy of Telepaths

Here is the link for the individual 2 page article.
http://www.nytimes.com/2001/08/26/arts/television/26BEAL.html?searchpv=day04

Though you will indeed have to sign up with their site.

------------------
"I didn't think so, but if I was wrong, I was wrong. I'd rather do something, and make a mistake than be frightened and be doing nothing. That's the problem back home. Folks have been conned to thinking they can't change the world, have to accept what is. I'll tell you something my friends. The world is changing every day, the only question is who's doing it."
-- Rev. Dexter in Babylon 5:"And the Rock Cried Out, No Hiding Place"

Could this be a first? Someone (me) finally beat JoeD to posting relevant info.
laugh.gif

Just barely, but I did it.

------------------
"I didn't think so, but if I was wrong, I was wrong. I'd rather do something, and make a mistake than be frightened and be doing nothing. That's the problem back home. Folks have been conned to thinking they can't change the world, have to accept what is. I'll tell you something my friends. The world is changing every day, the only question is who's doing it."
-- Rev. Dexter in Babylon 5:"And the Rock Cried Out, No Hiding Place"

Well, it was the author calling B5 an imitation of Star Trek, not the sci-fi channel, and I don't really think he knew what he was talking about... it doesn't really say what sci-fi thinks of the ehole show. Very interesting article, though.

------------------
I'm lobbying for someplace more comfortable for our next gathering place. A nice resort with a beach. A bunch of pale skinned technomages in black robes would fit right in.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chai:
Here is the link for the individual 2 page article.
http://www.nytimes.com/2001/08/26/arts/television/26BEAL.html?searchpv=day04

Though you will indeed have to sign up with their site.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks, that's what I wanted, the individual articles address. And yea, you were quick on that one! Thanks.
laugh.gif

------------------
"I do not believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense,
reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."-- Galileo

It certainly was a long article, wasn't it? And I don't think anything was meant by the "B5/Star-Trek-clone" thing. The author seems to see ALL of modern science fiction as being inspired by Star Trek. So, no surprise, he see's B5 as being so inspired. He actually pays an indirect compliment to B5 when he says "and even more original..." and then names some other series.

He must see B5 as being "original" if the second series he mentions is "more original". I'd say that's not too bad!

I was surprised to see that about half of Sci-Fi's viewers are women. I have few friends who get into sci-fi. But, I do have many friends who are also co-workers who DO get into it. (Big surprise, its a Math/Science department!)
wink.gif

------------------

a very interesting article. I loved the fact that it was primarily aimed at boys and geeks
laugh.gif
Imagine that half the audience is female. That must have been a shocker to TPTB
crazy.gif

No problem getting on because I'm on their regular mailing list
smile.gif

------------------

In last Sunday's New York Times (Augsut 26) there is an article entitled "The Sci Fi Channel Seeks New Life Beyond Its Niche."

You can read this article by going to New York Times - you have to register - but it's free. When the NY Times first page comes up look for search box right under date. Type in the first few words in the title, The Sci Fi Channel Seeks, then hit search - another advanced search appears - repeat the first few words of the title and search again and up comes the article.

B5 is mentioned as an imination of Star Trek but there are some interesting insights into the thinking and strategy of the Sci Fi Channel.

If it's legal then maybe Joe D. or someone can bring this article onto this Message Board.

------------------
God be between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk.

[This message has been edited by StarStuff (edited August 30, 2001).]

What is the address for the website?

------------------

Back