• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

TNT up to its old tricks

hypatia

Regular
There is an article that mentions "Crusade" briefly, and TNT's treatment of it. It sounds like TNT is up to its old tricks again:
article

------------------
(Spirit): “If it is too hard a lesson for you to learn, then learn this lesson:”
[Shows emaciated children at his feet.] (Ebenezer): “Are these yours?” (Spirit): “They are Man’s. They cling to me for protection from their fetters. This boy is ignorance, this girl is want. Beware them both, but most of all, beware this boy.” (Ebenezer): “Have they no refuge, no resource?” (Spirit): “Are there no prisons, are there no workhouses?”

hypatia@b5fan.b5lr.com

TNT treated Crusade harshly. They didn't give it enough time to become greater.

------------------

Well, suits, in general, have a unique POV sometimes. Hard to see anything from there.

POV
crazy.gif

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

"To Live and Die in Starlight"
pilot movie for "Babylon 5 - The Legend of the Rangers"
January 19, 2002 at 9PM & 11PM EST, January 20, 2002 at 5PM on The Sci-Fi Channel (US). http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

[This message has been edited by KoshN (edited December 15, 2001).]

That's a good point about TNT's slogan, "We Know Drama." Funny how most of the stars they have pushing that slogan in their commercials don't have anything to do with TNT.

At least two stars of The West Wing are in those commercials, and as far as I know, not even the repeats of West Wing are shown on TNT yet. I'm guessing it has something to with a Warner Bros. connection to both TNT and shows like The West Wing.

You'd think if they really knew drama, they'd have stars of their own shows to advertise that concept, but they have hardly any drama shows of their own to take stars from. In fact, do they have any dramatic programming of their own other than Witchblade?

TNT's slogan should be, "We Don't Know $#!+."

------------------
An Old Egyptian Blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places that you must walk.

Thoughts & prayers to soldiers fighting overseas and to their families.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ninja_Squirrel:
In fact, do they have any dramatic programming of their own other than Witchblade?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, a "Western" can be a drama.

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

January 19, 2002 at 9PM & 11PM EST, January 20, 2002 at 5PM on The Sci-Fi Channel (US).
http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

wait a second, TNT has original programming still... where have i been during all of this???

i thought their slogan "We know Drama" meant they knew good drama and aired all the re-runs for those shows.

------------------
I have no one to envy...
I envy you having me to envy...

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mercurius420:
i thought their slogan "We know Drama" meant they knew good drama and aired all the re-runs for those shows.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The drama they know is behind the scenes, at the inner workings of TNT. You know, all the stuff we're not allowed to see. I'd imagine those Crusade Notes meetings with JMS really had some drama.
wink.gif

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

January 19, 2002 at 9PM & 11PM EST, January 20, 2002 at 5PM on The Sci-Fi Channel (US). http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

[This message has been edited by KoshN (edited December 15, 2001).]

thankz for clearing that up,

needless to say the idea of TNT being involved in any way with the production of any show had me really worried

------------------
I have no one to envy...
I envy you having me to envy...

"love to stay, can't, have to go, kiss kiss, love love, bye" G'Kar

And for good reason.
crazy.gif

------------------
(Spirit): “If it is too hard a lesson for you to learn, then learn this lesson:”
[Shows emaciated children at his feet.] (Ebenezer): “Are these yours?” (Spirit): “They are Man’s. They cling to me for protection from their fetters. This boy is ignorance, this girl is want. Beware them both, but most of all, beware this boy.” (Ebenezer): “Have they no refuge, no resource?” (Spirit): “Are there no prisons, are there no workhouses?”

hypatia@b5fan.b5lr.com

TNT just closed down their entire original programming department, and laid-off somewhere around 30 people. I am hoping the estimable Kat Slonaker was not among them, but I haven't heard yet.

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

Sorry, but who is Kat Slonaker?

Sounds like TNT is having some real financial troubles.

------------------

hypatia@b5fan.b5lr.com

[This message has been edited by hypatia (edited December 16, 2001).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Joseph DeMartino:
TNT just closed down their entire original programming department, and laid-off somewhere around 30 people. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So I guess this means Witchblade is history? Just asking.

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

January 19, 2002 at 9PM & 11PM EST, January 20, 2002 at 5PM on The Sci-Fi Channel (US).
http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

TNT has been pasting their logo every where. In the Rush Hour Promos, they pasted the TNT logo ever scine in the Promos. Even the Matrix. I belive TNT is dying. TBS is even better that TNT.

------------------
Webmaster for B5:A2
Babylon 5: Armada II
A MOD for Star Trek: Armada II
http://www.tgu.org.uk/users/babylon5/

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Sorry, but who is Kat Slonaker? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Kat is one of the original group of B5 fans at TNT who helped convince the network to buy the reruns, make the first two TV movies and ultimately underwrite the fifth season. She was one of the network liasons during the production of In the Beginning and Thirdspace, all the way through the fifth season, and for the first five episodes of Crusade. Then the suits from Atlanta came in and took the oversight on that show away from the Originals Division in L.A. and started providing "guidance" to the show directly.

JMS went out of his way to praise Kat and her group during his criticism of TNT after the Crusade mess was over.

Even though it wasn't in her job description, Kat was also a presence on the TNT B5 website (which was also run by fans of the show, and was much better than either the WB or the Sci-Fi official sites.) She answered questions, dealt with problems and even "lurked" under a pseudonym so that she could interact with people as "just another fan". So she's pretty well known among fans who followed the show during the TNT days. (I think she may also have had a hand in the very classy page they put up just before the site was closed, re-directing fans to the Sci-Fi page - with a link, no less - and announcing when the series would debut on the rival network.)

The TNT site went up a couple of months before the show debuted on the network, and in the early days there was a lot of confusion about why the show was moving, what happened to the final four episodes of S4 (which didn't air in many markets) and TNT was catching flack for a lot of stuff that wasn't their fault.

Since I had access to lots of information in those days, I answered whatever questions I could, and defended the network when I thought it was being wronged. The two B5 posters visible in some of the pictures on my website and the publicity materials that I scanned other pictures from were a thank-you from Kat and Dean Treadwell (TNT Atlanta, another fan) for helping out.

Kat also helped me get my name back when some troll registered under it after a change in their software, and saved me from getting sued by JMS, Warner Bros. and possibly Chris Carter and Fox after another troll posted a libelous note under a name close to mine, and included my real e-mail address in the body of it. (That was one of the very few times that JMS has ever e-mailed me.
smile.gif
)

Kat was nice enough to invite me to lunch (and pick up the check
smile.gif
) when I was in Los Angeles for a week last year, the only time we've ever met in person.

Sadly she was among those laid-off in the recent "merger" of Originals back into the programming department, but she tells me the severance package was quite decent and that she'll be just fine. Her last day is December 31st, so she plans to enjoy the holidays and start thinking about her next move in January.

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

What a sad story, Joe. TNT is probably laying off its best people. I agree that it should not be blamed for anything that was not its fault: there is plenty enough that they SHOULD be blamed for. (Hanging on to the rights to a show they had already cancelled, trying to get involved in the creative decision-making are my two biggies.)

Markets are terribly tough out there right now. I have heard that we all should expect major mergers (spelling?). I hope that is all that is happening at Sci-Fi.

------------------

hypatia@b5fan.b5lr.com

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back