• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Thrones to be on HBO (Fantasy)

These books are excellent fantasy, on par with Tolkien, marred only by the author's slowness in producing them. "A Storm of Swords," the third book, is a mind-blower, but unfortunately he hasn't been able to finish the series yet...

I'll be very interested to see how they handle this, especially since the books are rich and laden with foreshadowing for stuff that hasn't even been written yet. If Martin himself is involved, this could be okay, since he used to write for TV himself.

Actually, it probably won't be crap, since HBO has done some amazing stuff; I'll just lower my expectations. However, it hasn't been greenlit yet.

These books are excellent fantasy, on par with Tolkien, marred only by the author's slowness in producing them. "A Storm of Swords," the third book, is a mind-blower, but unfortunately he hasn't been able to finish the series yet...

I'll be very interested to see how they handle this, especially since the books are rich and laden with foreshadowing for stuff that hasn't even been written yet. If Martin himself is involved, this could be okay, since he used to write for TV himself.

Actually, it probably won't be crap, since HBO has done some amazing stuff; I'll just lower my expectations. However, it hasn't been greenlit yet.

I've never even heard of this. What is it exactly? I've been pretty pleased with a lot of HBO shows so this may be something I could get interested in.

It's fantasy, but HBO says Fantasy hasn't really been done. Xena/Herc are what I'd consider fantasy (though super-campy.) And they were highly successful for their channel/timeslots. I think Xena was well over 10mil viewers and she was on in the afternoons on CW (then WB.)

I'm thinking people will dig it. I'm not sure how "Legend of the Seeker" is doing so far. I'm going to give it a shot here. I think it's the same producer (Rob Tapert) as Xena/Herc.

Sinclair, the series so far is part high-medieval fantasy, part politics and war, part grim description of what said war is doing to people, and part mystical showdown. Quite a gripping read. HBO's been toying with the idea of making it for a couple years now.

The show would actually have more in common with The Tudors and Rome over Xena. Fantasy elements are used sparingly and effectively (especially in the first book), it feels at times more like an alternate universe medival european saga.

As I've said before here, the books are just wonderful, the best modern fantasy series out there. I would recomend them to anyone who can read, and as a good incentive to learn to those that can't.

Here is the news on the pilot being greenlit:

http://grrm.livejournal.com/58155.html

Hopefully, HBO can realise the vast DVD sell-through potential of such a series.

Last edited:
I just started reading the first book of this series: Game of Thrones. I'm digging it so far. Like the writing. The story is easy to get into. Now I'm curious to see who is going to play these characters. Especially with the ages of some of these characters being so young (i.e. 5, 7, 11, 13, etc.)

It's nice to read something that isn't required for school. :)

Bumping due to latest news:

http://grrm.livejournal.com/86651.html

From his blog...

Well, the first two beans, anyway. There will be many more beans to come.

But HBO has signed a director for the GAME OF THRONES pilot, and the first cast member has come aboard as well.

The pilot will be helmed by Tom McCarthy, director of THE VISITOR and THE STATION AGENT.

And playing Tyrion Lannister will be Peter Dinklage, who was almost everyone's "dream casting" for the role (he certainly was mine)...

Image of Peter Dinklage...

dinklagethreshold1.jpg

Dinklage was on a LOT of fan "wish lists" to play the role of Tyrion. Awesome choice.

The director, however, seems more actor-experienced than director. Have not seen The Visitor or The Station Agent, so I can't comment on those.

Good to hear this is still progressing (and always fun to dip into GRRM's blog; he's such a curmudgeon). I'm a touch worried that they'll overtake the actual books, at the rate "A Dance with Dragons" is progressing, but not too much. If nothing else I doubt HBO will be able to afford to make more than two seasons. Pity, I'd love to see the Red Wedding filmed.

Well, I know HBO has signed up for the first year. I just hope they stick with it. I know they're counting on the LOTR type audiences, though Martin's work is hardly as much a "household name" as LOTR.

And yeah, the red wedding. (shudder)

They would probably need a bigger budget as the story progresses....

Spoiler for :

Considering that Dany's dragons start growing in books 2/3 and she whips some ass there at the end. I think that would require more CGI type stuff

And there is Robb's wars in book 2/3. Lots of battles...

A lot of the combat in thrones is 'off camera', i.e. relayed in speech. Makes it very TV friendly. I sometimes thing he writes with this in mind. He will be now.

Well, true about most of the battles. There are a few that take place that are pretty damn intense (i.e. Kings Landing and Tyrion defending one entrance of the wall / the ship battles, etc.) There is also the battle that Tyrion fights against Robb's army in book 1, I believe, where he has his barbarian pals with him. Tyrion is quite a fierce little dude.

A lot of the combat in thrones is 'off camera', i.e. relayed in speech. Makes it very TV friendly. I sometimes thing he writes with this in mind. He will be now.

GRRM has done a lot more as a screenwriter than as a novelist. So...

On the one hand, he might very well be keeping things offstage that would be difficult to film...

On the other hand, keeping all the action offstage is probably not the best strategy for a TV series to be successful...

Its all about balance. Too many battle scenes in a book get repetitive and slow it down. Pacing in the Thrones books is almost always spot on.

Now, if only he could hurry up and finish em ...

Back