B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5

Go Back   B5TV.COM > Babylon 5, Crusade and Rangers > B5.world

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old July 1st 18, 07:48   #1
Karajorma
Ranger
 
Karajorma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 49
If you could change B5 without changing it....

So here's a thought I had. If you could change something about B5 without actually changing the story, what would you change?



One of the things I'd definitely have liked to have seen was a little more of the Markab. Confessions and Lamentations is one of my favourite S2 episodes but it's only when I rewatched the show recently that I realised we don't actually see much of the Markab before that episode. We could see Markab religion in Parliament of Dreams and have them play a bigger role in Deathwalker. Maybe make it so that we knew the name of the Markab ambassador and know a little bit about him.



It would make things a whole lot more shocking when JMS wiped out the whole species.
Karajorma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st 18, 13:50   #2
Jan
Psi Cop
 
Jan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,872
Re: If you could change B5 without changing it....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karajorma View Post
It would make things a whole lot more shocking when JMS wiped out the whole species.
I thought it was pretty shocking as it was (due largely to Mira Furlan's acting) but I see your point.

This could be fun. Here's the first one that pops into my mind:

I'd have liked to see more of Vir becoming 'Abrahamo Lincolni'. The Centauri trilogy did a great job in showing us how Vir could become a great emperor but it seemed that it was his experience on Minbar that began that path.
__________________
"You know, I used to think that life was terribly unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair? If all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe." ~~Marcus Cole
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st 18, 14:18   #3
jumptheshark
Lurker
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 17
Re: If you could change B5 without changing it....

For me there are two things

1) More fun with the technomags
2) The planet down below--I think they could have explored more and used that device better
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st 18, 15:10   #4
Looney
Ambassador
 
Looney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Middle West U.S.
Posts: 419
Re: If you could change B5 without changing it....

This will overwhelm my brain!

If I am forced to pick ONE thing then I would have to say more of everything.



But seriously, there are soooo many things I would want to see more of and learn more about. I definitely agree that the Markab could have used a little more attention just from the stand point that they are really rarely noticed and mentioned. As Confessions and Lamentations progresses a newbie might not even recall having seen them in other episodes, so it doesn't carry as much dramatic weight. The subject matter does, but the emotional investment of the audience would be much heavier if we had seen more of them, even in background shots - not that they never show up, just that they could be a little more established.

But there are tons of things like the Markab I could go on about. As I always say, I love the little details JMS uses and I think there could be/should be more of them.

I will think on this and see if I can get really specific and pick one like the Markab, but no one should hold their breath.
Looney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st 18, 22:16   #5
KoshFan
Soul Hunter
 
KoshFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: The upper left-hand corner of the US
Posts: 10,616
Re: If you could change B5 without changing it....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
2) The planet down below--I think they could have explored more and used that device better
Oh, heck yes. Also I'd de-emphasize the planet's defenses. That beam weapon was just overkill, JMS knew it, and had to spend the rest of the show carefully working around it and explaining why they couldn't use it this time. Far more sensible would have been an "information-tech" approach: the Great Machine could have overridden the attackers' computers or something. Less dramatic, but also less damaging to the story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
I'd have liked to see more of Vir becoming 'Abrahamo Lincolni'. The Centauri trilogy did a great job in showing us how Vir could become a great emperor but it seemed that it was his experience on Minbar that began that path.
This ties in with one of mine: a little more (but only a little, because it would be less marvelous if seen too often) about Vir and Lennir's friendship. How did that even get started? And where might it have gone?

I'd make the Gray Sector mystery more of a thing... and fix its ending.

Another episode or two actually showing the Narn-Centauri War. It lasted half the season but it was only directly shown in three episodes.

And I'd probably smooth out the hurry-up-and-wait of the end of S4 and beginning of 5, since it all got scrambled by nearly getting cancelled.
__________________
Know what you do.

The Generous Grasp
KoshFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd 18, 13:38   #6
Springer
Ambassador
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 408
Re: If you could change B5 without changing it....

Echoing what people have said about Confessions and Lamentations, I'd have loved to have seen more exploration of the different cultures in the League of Non-Aligned worlds. I guess the Drazi got two episodes (Geometry of Shadows and The Ragged Edge), the Markab got Confessions... the Hyach got Secrets of the Soul and the Brakiri got a little bit of background in Day of the Dead, but I always thought there was plenty more there that could have been mined for storylines, rather than the League Ambassadors increasingly acting like and being treated like idiots.
Springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd 18, 19:07   #7
Looney
Ambassador
 
Looney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Middle West U.S.
Posts: 419
Re: If you could change B5 without changing it....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springer View Post
Echoing what people have said about Confessions and Lamentations, I'd have loved to have seen more exploration of the different cultures in the League of Non-Aligned worlds. I guess the Drazi got two episodes (Geometry of Shadows and The Ragged Edge), the Markab got Confessions... the Hyach got Secrets of the Soul and the Brakiri got a little bit of background in Day of the Dead, but I always thought there was plenty more there that could have been mined for storylines, rather than the League Ambassadors increasingly acting like and being treated like idiots.
DEFINITELY!!!!! This is what I am saying about longer episodes. With longer episodes we could have had A, B, C, D, and E plot threads going. In those plot threads we could have had stories that just involved information about those other races and what they were doing.

Side Note: This idea brings up a notion of a detractor of A View From The Gallery, 5.4, for me. I LOVE the concept of that episode. I think a primary reason JMS did that episode the way it was done is that he wanted it to have a touch of comedy. Well I think that is great, but I think it could have also been great to have an entire episode like that with one of the League Ambassadors. Have a major event happening from their perspective and see what they do to deal with it, adding comedy if necessary. I don't know, but I definitely agree that the show could have used more details about the other League races.
Looney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd 18, 22:25   #8
KoshFan
Soul Hunter
 
KoshFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: The upper left-hand corner of the US
Posts: 10,616
Re: If you could change B5 without changing it....

Now that's a good idea, Looney -- an entirely alien-perspective ep on, say, some human matter.
__________________
Know what you do.

The Generous Grasp
KoshFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd 18, 00:30   #9
Karajorma
Ranger
 
Karajorma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 49
Re: If you could change B5 without changing it....

That would have made for a great episode. The Gaim might have been a great idea since they were probably the most alien of the League worlds.



Quote:
Originally Posted by KoshFan View Post
Oh, heck yes. Also I'd de-emphasize the planet's defenses. That beam weapon was just overkill, JMS knew it, and had to spend the rest of the show carefully working around it and explaining why they couldn't use it this time. Far more sensible would have been an "information-tech" approach: the Great Machine could have overridden the attackers' computers or something. Less dramatic, but also less damaging to the story.

Yeah, that would have been a better approach. Or at least had them enter the atmosphere and then get shot down. They could have then simply said that the machine didn't have any weapons which could reach B5 but had stuff that was deadly if you got too close.
Karajorma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd 18, 12:04   #10
Springer
Ambassador
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 408
Re: If you could change B5 without changing it....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looney View Post

Side Note: This idea brings up a notion of a detractor of A View From The Gallery, 5.4, for me. I LOVE the concept of that episode. I think a primary reason JMS did that episode the way it was done is that he wanted it to have a touch of comedy. Well I think that is great, but I think it could have also been great to have an entire episode like that with one of the League Ambassadors. Have a major event happening from their perspective and see what they do to deal with it, adding comedy if necessary. I don't know, but I definitely agree that the show could have used more details about the other League races.
I love that idea! And it would have been a nice way to reward one of the background actors like Kim Strauss or Jonathan Chapman.
Springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 16:11.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
2001 - 2018 B5TV.COM