B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5
Old March 29th 10, 22:59   #1
Sindatur
Techno-mage

Matt Smith Dr Who

Pictures of the new Doctor, the new Companion and the new Tardis. I like it, I was actually surprised that David Tennant and Christopher Eccestone's Tardis was so raggedy with wires hanging out everywhere.

http://www.radiotimes.com/content/fe...new-tardis/01/

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th 10, 02:32   #2
KoshFan
Soul Hunter

Re: Matt Smith Dr Who

Another Doctor? Does this put them to 13?

The Generous Grasp
KoshFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th 10, 04:09   #3
Sindatur
Techno-mage

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoshFan View Post
Nah...Chris Eccelstone was 9 and David Tennant was 10, so Matt Smith is 11. Dr. 13 is a totally different personality as displayed in the 14 part Dr #6 (Colin Baker) story "Trial of a Timelord".

Old March 30th 10, 04:15   #4
KoshFan
Soul Hunter

I just remember something in the lore about the Doctor only having a certain number of lives.

The Generous Grasp
KoshFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th 10, 13:39   #5
darth_librarian
Psi Cop

The Tardis is now very tidy, as is the new companion ...

"There's no point debating anything online. It provides scant room for debate and infinite opportunities for fruitless point-scoring: the heady combination of perceived anonymity, gestated responses, random heckling and a notional "live audience" quickly conspire to create a "perfect storm" of perpetual bickering."
- Charlie Brooker
darth_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th 10, 14:12   #6
Sindatur
Techno-mage

Quote:
I just remember something in the lore about the Doctor only having a certain number of lives.
Yes, 12 regenerations or 13 lives, but, there's various ways they could stretch that out if need be. The current trend seems to be 3 years per generation (CE only wanted 1 season, and #8 was a one off movie, so that burned up two quickly) so, we should have at least 9 seasons before needing to do anything funny. Dr. Who's enemy the Master has come back several times since since he died the 13th time.

Old March 30th 10, 23:11   #7
Galahad
First One

Send a message via MSN to Galahad Send a message via Yahoo to Galahad Send a message via Skype™ to Galahad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sindatur View Post
Quote:
Nah...Chris Eccelstone was 9 and David Tennant was 10, so Matt Smith is 11. Dr. 13 is a totally different personality as displayed in the 14 part Dr #6 (Colin Baker) story "Trial of a Timelord".
The Valeyard is only a possible incarnation of the Doctor and is described as an aspect of the Doctor between his 12th and 13th incarnation. Wasn't he manipulating 6 in order to ensure his existence came about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sindatur View Post
Quote:
Yes, 12 regenerations or 13 lives, but, there's various ways they could stretch that out if need be. The current trend seems to be 3 years per generation (CE only wanted 1 season, and #8 was a one off movie, so that burned up two quickly) so, we should have at least 9 seasons before needing to do anything funny. Dr. Who's enemy the Master has come back several times since since he died the 13th time.
Yeah there's several ways that extending the Doctor's run have been proposed:

1. As long as the Timelords are gone, there remains only one Timelord drawing from the regeneration pool and so it's not limited to 13.
  2. Some of the Doctor's regenerations have been (through creative licence) quite bizarre and influenced by other forces. I'm thinking pricipally of 4-5 where the Watcher (a projection of the 5th Doctor) took possession of the 4th Doctor's body and transformed him. He also had a push from his mentor from 3-4. He could have inherited regenerations from his mentor as a kind of self sacrifice.
  3. The immensely powerful absorption of TARDIS energy gave Rose near limitless power and granted Jack near immortality... what could it have done to the Doctor?
  4. Many people speculated that the regeneration of 10 would fail (perhaps due to his sqauandering some of the energy needed to preserve himself after being winged by that dalek), and that the Timelords restored would grant hima fresh run. OKay so the Timelords got wiped out again... but many have speculated that they aren't entirely done with yet.
  5. It's science fiction/fantasy... there are countless ways to introduce a plot element that could increase the Doctor's regenerative abilities... every so often in the world of comics, heroes get their powers buffed or reinterpretted... even JMS did this with Spidey... so why should The Doctor not benefit from similar treatment.
I kind of expect Moffatt to create a trapdoor somewhere along the line that will remove any element of doubt. He's the biggest fanboy there's been and I am absoulutely certain that knowing the in universe limitation that could threaten the series continued existence (if the Beeb wanted to slash budgets massively), he'd be keen to make sure that the Doctor would be able to continue in universe.

"We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth."

Visit NiCK'S SANCTUARY
Galahad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th 10, 23:16   #8
Sindatur
Techno-mage

Ah...I was remembering the Scrapyard, LOL, was the actual 12th regeneration. But, yea, he wanted to steal Dr. #6 remaining regenerations (7 of them) so he could live on longer.

Old April 3rd 10, 20:17   #9
Galahad
First One

Send a message via MSN to Galahad Send a message via Yahoo to Galahad Send a message via Skype™ to Galahad

That was DEFINITELY worth the wait!

"We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth."

Visit NiCK'S SANCTUARY
Galahad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th 10, 06:56   #10
Jade Jaguar
First One

BBC America will show the first Matt Smith ep on April 17th.
Benjamin Franklin 1775

"I know that the hypnotized never lie... Do ya?"
Pete Townshend 1971

FREE LEONARD PELTIER
Jade Jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote