B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5

Go Back   B5TV.COM > Classic: Babylon 5, Crusade and Rangers > B5.related

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old September 8th 08, 17:22   #1
Lyta's Shadow
Ranger
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: NW UK
Posts: 48
Claudia Christian - Baptism Of Fire

Does anyone own this novel? I've just seen it for sale on Claudia's site. I'm very tempted to get it as I'm bit of a B5 completist, but there is next to no information there about it. What's the page count? Is it hardback or paperback? Most importantly, is it any good? What worries me is JMS put a stop to the Mongoose line as he found it of too low a quality for B5.

At $45 I want to make sure it's worth getting before I invest in it, so any opinions would be welcome!

Lyta's Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th 08, 17:58   #2
Jan
Psi Cop
 
Jan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 2,057
Re: Claudia Christian - Baptism Of Fire

My personal opinion is to wait. I got a copy of the Word file (with permission) shortly after the project was spiked. It was 274 pages in that format, probably a fair number fewer pages once typeset. It didn't keep my attention well enough for me to finish it, though in honesty, I'm not much of one for reading books on the computer. It looks like the same size as her 'freaks and geeks' book which would make it trade paperback sized.

Frankly, I'm pretty sure that she's infringing mightily on WB's IP. If so, considering that she's offering it for sale very publicly, it may not be available all that long.

Jan
__________________
"You know, I used to think that life was terribly unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair? If all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe." ~~Marcus Cole
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th 08, 18:13   #3
Lyta's Shadow
Ranger
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: NW UK
Posts: 48
Re: Claudia Christian - Baptism Of Fire

Thanks for the feedback. I'm a bit confused though, you say it's best to wait, but then add that the book isn't likely to be available for long!! If she only has limited stock for sale I can't imagine that they will drop in price at any point.
Lyta's Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th 08, 18:22   #4
Jan
Psi Cop
 
Jan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 2,057
Re: Claudia Christian - Baptism Of Fire

Her other book started out at about $35 and is down to $20 now. As for availability, I don't have any personal knowledge of what her plans are but *if* WB doesn't make her stop selling them, I don't see any reason why she wouldn't keep it available. That's a big IF, however, because whether WB is doing anything with the B5 franchise at the moment or not, it still belongs to them and what she's doing is probably not licensed.

Jan
__________________
"You know, I used to think that life was terribly unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair? If all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe." ~~Marcus Cole
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th 08, 01:55   #5
KoshN
Moderator
 
KoshN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Pittsburgh PA Suburbs, USA
Posts: 8,805
Re: Claudia Christian - Baptism Of Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
Her other book started out at about $35 and is down to $20 now. As for availability, I don't have any personal knowledge of what her plans are but *if* WB doesn't make her stop selling them, I don't see any reason why she wouldn't keep it available. That's a big IF, however, because whether WB is doing anything with the B5 franchise at the moment or not, it still belongs to them and what she's doing is probably not licensed.

Jan

This wasn't anything to do with Mongoose, was it? IIRC she was going to be writing a B5 novel for Mongoose, but all that stuff was stopped, right?

OK, I saw your post in JMS News. It is the Mongoose thing. Who would pay $45 + $7 shipping for a piece of non-canon/fanfiction? Not me. I can't BELIEVE she's trying to sell it at all, let alone for that price. Hell, it's probably not worth the price of the average trade paperback ($7).
__________________
Mac Breck (KoshN)
-----------------------------
"Crusade" (1999) - "War Zone"
Max Eilerson: "The story of my life. I finally find a city like this, intact, deserted for ten thousand years. Probably contains hundreds of patents that I could exploit and I'm going to die. I can appreciate dramatic irony as much as the next person, but this is pushing it a bit."

Last edited by KoshN; September 9th 08 at 02:14.
KoshN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th 08, 02:13   #6
Jan
Psi Cop
 
Jan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 2,057
Re: Claudia Christian - Baptism Of Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoshN View Post
This wasn't anything to do with Mongoose, was it? IIRC she was going to be writing a B5 novel for Mongoose, but all that stuff was stopped, right?
My understanding is that this is the book she wrote for Mongoose that they never published.

Jan
__________________
"You know, I used to think that life was terribly unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair? If all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe." ~~Marcus Cole
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th 08, 02:25   #7
KoshN
Moderator
 
KoshN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Pittsburgh PA Suburbs, USA
Posts: 8,805
Re: Claudia Christian - Baptism Of Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
My understanding is that this is the book she wrote for Mongoose that they never published.

Jan
OK, Mongoose had the license to publish, but didn't JMS somehow have those rights pulled because Mongoose was indicating JMS' involvement even though there was no such involvement, and then they tried to hire JMS to check each book for the paltry sum of $500/book,and then he rightfully laughed at them? Then, the whole Mongoose B5 Novel project fell apart, right?
__________________
Mac Breck (KoshN)
-----------------------------
"Crusade" (1999) - "War Zone"
Max Eilerson: "The story of my life. I finally find a city like this, intact, deserted for ten thousand years. Probably contains hundreds of patents that I could exploit and I'm going to die. I can appreciate dramatic irony as much as the next person, but this is pushing it a bit."
KoshN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th 08, 03:11   #8
Jan
Psi Cop
 
Jan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 2,057
Re: Claudia Christian - Baptism Of Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoshN View Post
OK, Mongoose had the license to publish, but didn't JMS somehow have those rights pulled because Mongoose was indicating JMS' involvement even though there was no such involvement, and then they tried to hire JMS to check each book for the paltry sum of $500/book,and then he rightfully laughed at them? Then, the whole Mongoose B5 Novel project fell apart, right?
Sorta/kinda but not in that order. Mongoose got the license and asked JMS to be involved, offering an inadequate amount. Then Mongoose claimed that JMS was involved and that the books would be canon and that they'd be working from outlines by JMS, all of which JMS very publicly took them to task for.

Eventually JMS was persuaded to reconsider and he checked out the Mongoose manuscripts but deemed them to be unprofessionally and amateurishly done and he refused to endorse them in any way.

As far as I know, JMS never had or attempted to have the license Mongoose had from WB pulled but eventually they decided not to publish the books after all.

Jan
__________________
"You know, I used to think that life was terribly unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair? If all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe." ~~Marcus Cole
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th 08, 03:57   #9
KoshN
Moderator
 
KoshN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Pittsburgh PA Suburbs, USA
Posts: 8,805
Re: Claudia Christian - Baptism Of Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
Sorta/kinda but not in that order. Mongoose got the license and asked JMS to be involved, offering an inadequate amount. Then Mongoose claimed that JMS was involved and that the books would be canon and that they'd be working from outlines by JMS, all of which JMS very publicly took them to task for.

Eventually JMS was persuaded to reconsider and he checked out the Mongoose manuscripts but deemed them to be unprofessionally and amateurishly done and he refused to endorse them in any way.
Including Claudia's?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
As far as I know, JMS never had or attempted to have the license Mongoose had from WB pulled but eventually they decided not to publish the books after all.
And I'd thought I'd heard the last of those novels, and then along comes Claudia. So, I doubt it's licensed, but maaaaybe that's where the $45 price comes from, to pay for the license. ..... Naah. I can't buy that, either.
__________________
Mac Breck (KoshN)
-----------------------------
"Crusade" (1999) - "War Zone"
Max Eilerson: "The story of my life. I finally find a city like this, intact, deserted for ten thousand years. Probably contains hundreds of patents that I could exploit and I'm going to die. I can appreciate dramatic irony as much as the next person, but this is pushing it a bit."
KoshN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th 08, 04:46   #10
Jan
Psi Cop
 
Jan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 2,057
Re: Claudia Christian - Baptism Of Fire

JMS never mentioned Claudia's book in particular though she seemed to think he'd deliberately squashed her book. What he wrote about the ones he read was:
Quote:
The manuscripts came in on the books currently in progress, and
unfortunately the level of writing is at very best amateurish, on a
level somewhat below what one would find on the average fan-fiction
website. In some cases the manuscripts had net handles not even actual
names, they were unprofessionally put together and edited, and the
writing is just not there. This is not the sort of thing that can be
easily corrected with just some notes or asking for re-dos. They
haven't done much publishing in the area of fiction previous to this
time, and my feeling is that as well-intentioned as they might be, they
don't really have the chops when it comes to fiction. And their
statements on their website are again somewhat overstating the
situation and not being entirely accurate in the projects and processes
being announced.
Jan
__________________
"You know, I used to think that life was terribly unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair? If all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe." ~~Marcus Cole
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 17:35.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
2001 - 2018 B5TV.COM