B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5

Go Back   B5TV.COM > Other TV-related forums > Non-B5 books, TV & films

Old January 3rd 10, 19:37   #21
Jade Jaguar
First One

Re: Doctor Who: The End of Time (You have been Warned)

Thanks. I'll pay more attention, when I rewatch it.
Benjamin Franklin 1775

"I know that the hypnotized never lie... Do ya?"
Pete Townshend 1971

FREE LEONARD PELTIER
Jade Jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd 10, 22:39   #22
darth_librarian
Psi Cop

Just seen it all. The better half was the latter half, but still far far too much going on. The final scenes were rather fun. I'll pop back with some more thoughts later on.

"There's no point debating anything online. It provides scant room for debate and infinite opportunities for fruitless point-scoring: the heady combination of perceived anonymity, gestated responses, random heckling and a notional "live audience" quickly conspire to create a "perfect storm" of perpetual bickering."
- Charlie Brooker
darth_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd 10, 23:24   #23
Chilli
High Treason Prevention Officer

Send a message via ICQ to Chilli Send a message via MSN to Chilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by admiraldave View Post
On first viewing, I was underwhelmed. The blatant Star Wars rip-offs, overlong ending, Martha and Mickey (WTF!?!), it felt overdone.
Honest question .. which parts did you feel were Star Wars rip-offs, aside from the council chamber?

And yeah .. Martha and Mickey .. er .. didn't RTD already marry Martha off with this Tom Milligan guy?

And can someone please explain the logic behind that cabin thingy to me - in particular the part where they vent the radiation into it? In other words, the system is constructed to vent radiation to .. the one place someone is guaranteed to be.

.. anyone have any guesses about the msytery woman, btw? Susan?

And isn't Rassilon .. quite, quite dead?

I actually enjoyed it more than the first part, but am still glad RTD's "arc" has come to an end. I'm not sold on Matt Smith either yet, and I'm not actually too thrilled about some of the things I've heard Moffat say about where he wants to take the show ... but I still trust him to make something that doesn't suck. Considering how everything he has ever made for TV is great (not just for DW - Press Gang was quite good, Jekyll was great, and Coupling is the bestest of best things ever made for TV), he had better not make the show suck.

Chilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd 10, 23:41   #24
Galahad
First One

Send a message via MSN to Galahad Send a message via Yahoo to Galahad Send a message via Skype™ to Galahad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilli View Post
Honest question .. which parts did you feel were Star Wars rip-offs, aside from the council chamber?
Gun Turrets

Quote:
And yeah .. Martha and Mickey .. er .. didn't RTD already marry Martha off with this Tom Milligan guy?
Weren't they merely engaged? Can't recall.

Quote:
And can someone please explain the logic behind that cabin thingy to me - in particular the part where they vent the radiation into it? In other words, the system is constructed to vent radiation to .. the one place someone is guaranteed to be.
I got the impression that there was a malfunction caused by the Doctor shooting the console which reversed... err the polarity of the neutron flow!

Quote:
.. anyone have any guesses about the msytery woman, btw? Susan?
Going with either Romana II,III or later or as suggested... The Doctor's mother.

Quote:
And isn't Rassilon .. quite, quite dead?
Yeah but if the timelords had perfected resurrection technology (not just the Saxon ritual but the original regifting of a body to the Master), then it stands to reason that they'd resurrect their biggest baddest historical figure... particularly if they had gone nuts.

Quote:
and I'm not actually too thrilled about some of the things I've heard Moffat say about where he wants to take the show ... but I still trust him to make something that doesn't suck.
Can you elaborate on what he has said?

"We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth."

Visit NiCK'S SANCTUARY
Galahad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd 10, 23:42   #25
Galahad
First One

Send a message via MSN to Galahad Send a message via Yahoo to Galahad Send a message via Skype™ to Galahad

Oh and I totally called it on Wilf! (ahem! scroll back)

"We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth."

Visit NiCK'S SANCTUARY
Old January 4th 10, 01:27   #26
Chilli
High Treason Prevention Officer

Send a message via ICQ to Chilli Send a message via MSN to Chilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad View Post
Can you elaborate on what he has said?
I can't recall his exact words, but I read an interview at some point in which he indicated that the doctor might be "romantic lead" of a sort. Which, for me, just isn't the doctor, in any incarnation.

Chilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th 10, 12:17   #27
Kribu
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad View Post
Going with either Romana II,III or later or as suggested... The Doctor's mother.
Who, of course, should by all previous TV canon be dead (Two mentioned something like that) and/or a human anyway (according to Eight). Not that it's impossible, but, dunno, some explanation might have been nice.

Quote:
Yeah but if the timelords had perfected resurrection technology (not just the Saxon ritual but the original regifting of a body to the Master), then it stands to reason that they'd resurrect their biggest baddest historical figure... particularly if they had gone nuts.
In which case, shouldn't there have been, dunno, some explanation? Even the tiniest reference? As it was, throwing the name Rassilon out there meant nothing to New!Who fans and made classic!Who fans go "bzuh?", so... what's the point?

Gah. I enjoyed the first half an hour or so of part two (certainly more than anything of part one), pretty much until the Doctor crashed into the Naismith mansion, but from there on it was either too much wtf or just plain boredom (the whole 20 minutes of goodbyes) - I just kept thinking "Deathly Hallows epilogue all over again" during that; it really came off like RTD was determined to have all his favourite characters seen either paired up on-screen or at least have an "All was well." regarding them.

I'm not the least bit sold on Eleven yet but I'm aware that the fifteen seconds of screentime he got, plus the trailer for S5, isn't enough to judge.

I'm hoping Matt Smith will be good (I've only seen him in Ruby in the Smoke before, and wasn't particularly impressed, but that may well have been because I didn't care for the character); I just don't really care for his looks (but I didn't with Tennant either, and ended up tolerating him), which is my problem and not his.

After End of Time, I'm looking forward to whatever Moffat has in store, anyway. He is an excellent writer, I'm just too worried about him making too much (too much = any) of it about romance and/or sex, and casting the youngest actor ever as the Doctor didn't make that worry of mine go away. It doesn't help that I really disliked The Girl in the Fireplace and certain parts of Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead.
Old January 4th 10, 16:47   #28
darth_librarian
Psi Cop

My assumption with Rassilon was that he was resurrected and re-elected as they needed a firm war leader, possibly after the previous chancellor (Romana?) was whacked by Daleks. He then started creating a load of monsters with silly names that Tennant rattled off. All of this was hinted at, yanked out of no-where then totally pissed on and ignored in true RTD fashion.

As to the identifty of the woman, its either Romana, the Dr's Mum / Daughter / Wife/ or Donna.

For everything in it I loved (including the over indiulgent 15 minutes) I found stuff I hated (the above, naff star wars laser gun bits ...)

And the radiation chamber thingy was totally pants and a Wrath of Kahn rip off. For one thing, you could see the gaps in the doors ...

The S5 trailer has me excited though. Silly me. I have no real problem with him as a romantic lead now. Number 10 was practically nobbing everything in sight.

"There's no point debating anything online. It provides scant room for debate and infinite opportunities for fruitless point-scoring: the heady combination of perceived anonymity, gestated responses, random heckling and a notional "live audience" quickly conspire to create a "perfect storm" of perpetual bickering."
- Charlie Brooker

Last edited by darth_librarian; January 4th 10 at 16:50.
darth_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th 10, 18:28   #29
Galahad
First One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade Jaguar View Post
I liked both parts of TEoT, but was less happy with the ending of Pt.2. I thought the extended good-byes were unnecessary, and that the Tardis exploding and catching fire during transformation was just wrong.
I'm more in line with Darth on t his one... and I actually choked up twice (Firstly The Doctor's willingness to sacrifice himself for Wilf and Wilf's desperation for him not to have to do it just for him.... and secondly 10's last line).

I especially found 10's silent farewells to Martha, Mickey, Sarah-Jane and Luke moving... the look on his face said it all... and only Sarah-Jane really understood just from reading his face).

The TARDIS exploding and catching fire might seem wrong from a purely in universe perspective... however I think it works. I believe it's bending the fourth wall without breaking it. It's an in universe acknowledgement of Tennant's importance to the revival of Doctor Who as a franchise. Yes it became popular again with Ecclestone... but Tennant magnified and consolidated that popularity and became so well established as the Doctor in the public conscious, that he displaced even Tom Baker as the nation's favourite Doctor.

So Ten's voice cracks up a little (not totally, just enough to appeal to us to fill in the rest of the emotion) and the TARDIS grieves with us.

Visit NiCK'S SANCTUARY
Old January 4th 10, 19:01   #30
Sindatur
Techno-mage

I didn't have any problem at all with the long goodbye, I was teared up quite a bit after all the drama leading up to it (All the hints in the prvious spoecials and the ending of Waters of Mars). I actuallly didn't even realize Mickey was Martha's husband, so yea, that was forced, unless she never mentioned the name of her fiance (don't remember if she did or not)

About the exploding TARDIS, I'm wondering if maybe the massive dose of radiation, delayed his regeneration long enough for him to make his silent goodbyes, and that resulted in a violent regeneration this time around.

Makes perfect sense that Rassilon would be the insane Time Lord President, even if not properly explained, but, again, maybe Moff will dive further into it?

Many people theorized that the lady guiding Wilf was the White Guardian, is that still possible or did we get proof positive she was an actual Gallifreyan? I'm hoping it's a mystery they'll stretch out over Matt Smith's opening episodes and build an arc around the White and Black Guardians (or maybe around Susan or Romana, if she was one of them?) and maybe that's why it was left mysterious.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote