B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5
Old March 23rd 09, 04:37   #181
KoshFan
Soul Hunter

Re: New Joss Whedon show

Slate gray, perhaps?

The Generous Grasp
KoshFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd 09, 04:53   #182
Jade Jaguar
First One

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoshFan View Post
Slate gray, perhaps?

Well, given that they do a lot of erasing, that would seem appropriate...
Benjamin Franklin 1775

"I know that the hypnotized never lie... Do ya?"
Pete Townshend 1971

FREE LEONARD PELTIER
Jade Jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th 09, 09:50   #183
vacantlook

I wasn't too impressed with last week's episode. I'm not sure what, but there just felt like there was a bit something missing. This week, however, I loved the episode. I loved that the theme of trust was pushed a bit more. We had been getting a bit comfortable with Dr Fred because she seemed to not be too pleased with the Dollhouse, but this episode brought the character back to being more grey with her being the one who presented the big plan the Dollhouse did to try to right the dolls by giving the dolls what they wanted. It also gave us some interesting revelations into the dolls as characters, particularly with November having lost a child.
vacantlook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th 09, 18:32   #184
Cell
Telepath

I was not a fan at all of the last episode, more attempts at moralizing by Whedon where he gets the moral structure completely wrong. He's creating a show where every character is deplorable on some way and not giving me anyone to root for or even care about. Anyone who was trying to argue that the people working at the dollhouse weren't evil and were just in shades of gray can't make that argument anymore after the last episode. I also thought it was too obvious and heavy handed in the way it handled certain things. Like, Echo needs a key to the weapons locker, so we'll make sure to show a female handler bad mouthing her so that when Echo beats up said female handler the audience can cheer an cheer for the violence.

And don't even get me started on the stupidity of the closure idea, that was just moronic on levels my brain doesn't even want to comprehend.
"When you have reached the end of the road then you can decide whether to go to the left or the right, to fire or to water. If you make those decisions before you have even set foot upon the road it will take you nowhere." - Galen
Cell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th 09, 19:04   #185
KoshFan
Soul Hunter

I'm liking how it seems every character is doing horrible things for excellent reason. It makes you think...

The Generous Grasp
KoshFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th 09, 19:28   #186
vacantlook

It is a show that makes one think. For example, where does the actives free-will exist? With them being programmed to do various things, is it a violation of their free-will? Or does the contract each one signed when they first entered the dollhouse cover it since that was an act of submitting to the programming? In some ways, it seems like a metaphor, for lack of a better word, to military service. When you sign up for the military, you agree to follow orders. The only difference being that a military person can refuse to follow an order or refuse to show up for service, both of which usually result in some form of punishment for violation of their contract, whereas the actives are a bit stuck in their service.

It's definitely a morally ambiguous story with no perfect, paragon characters. As it stands, I root for the actives to break free of the dollhouse, so there are definitely characters I care about. The show is an exploration of the struggle against a system that works to repress people's natural selves for the system's corporate benefit.

I found the closure plot twist to be an exploration of the subconscious. What are the things that we want but aren't even able to let our own selves know? How can one learn what those things are and act to fulfill them? And how does having them be unfulfilled impact the rest of our lives?

There are a lot of questions created in this show's story. Those questions aren't easily answered, if answerable at all. And we aren't having those answers given to us; they're left for us to think up on our own. It's a cerebral, ponderous show. As KoshFan says, it makes you think.
Old April 9th 09, 19:34   #187
Cell
Telepath

It's made me think, but it's also had far too many areas where Joss failed in putting forth ideas worthy of thought. None of that matters though, because according to Felicia day it's canceled after episode 13.
"When you have reached the end of the road then you can decide whether to go to the left or the right, to fire or to water. If you make those decisions before you have even set foot upon the road it will take you nowhere." - Galen
Cell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th 09, 04:27   #188
vacantlook

I loved tonight's episode; I enjoy the fun conspiracy stuff. I liked the concurrent story lines told in a separated series; that was an interesting format. Some wow stuff in this ep.

DeWitt being a client herself, aka "Miss Lonely Hearts". Makes me wonder what happened to her to make her to hire an active.

November subprogrammed to reveal herself to Paul. Ooo ooo ooo. I've been totally into November ever since it was revealed she was a sleeper active a few weeks back. Even though I had been suspecting she was for a while before that reveal, the way she was revealed was really kickass. And now Paul knows but can't let her know he knows.

And I enjoyed the no.2 guy being the in-house spy. I think I was expecting the spy to be someone I'd like who was trying to bring the house down, but turns out it was the one character I thought was most villainous! I wouldn't be surprise though if there ends up being a second spy in the house.

And Echo's still not done trying to fulfill her subconscious desire from last week, Topher and DeWitt posit. And even though she's got a new handler now, she still recognizes her old one to some degree (now promoted). I love this whole exploration of the subconscious and "self". Despite the dolls having their minds wiped, there's something there that's still them that can't be wiped.

Fun!
Old April 11th 09, 04:59   #189
Sindatur
Techno-mage

Episode is about to start. I don't know anything, but as I was explaining the characters and their stories, it occurred to me, I don't think we have proof that Ballard isn't Alpha or
Spoiler for :
the 12th episode, I believe is called,

"Beta"

Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th 09, 06:57   #190
Recoil
First One

This was my favorite episode of the season so far. Lots going on in it.