B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5
Old February 24th 09, 22:36   #631
Cell
Telepath

Re: What are you watching now?

The only real complaint I have is that somehow TDK beat out Wall-E for best sound editing and Slumdog beat it out for best sound mixing. Taking out how you feel about the films as a whole, in the sound department Wall-E wasn't just the best film this year, but the most revolutionary movie in terms of sound since Star Wars back in 1977, so yeah, the Academy royally screwed that one up, but they are dolts.
"When you have reached the end of the road then you can decide whether to go to the left or the right, to fire or to water. If you make those decisions before you have even set foot upon the road it will take you nowhere." - Galen
Cell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th 09, 22:48   #632
Jade Jaguar
First One

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypatia View Post
Wild timing: TCM is showing Kwaidan 1am Wednesday my time.

I guess that'll be the one I see first, then.
I thought you didn't get TCM, or I would have mentioned Kwaidan was going to be on. Yes, Put Cure, and Onibaba on your Netflix list. Then go for Audition and Woman In The Dunes.
Benjamin Franklin 1775

"I know that the hypnotized never lie... Do ya?"
Pete Townshend 1971

FREE LEONARD PELTIER
Jade Jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th 09, 22:50   #633
Jade Jaguar
First One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alluveal View Post
She's won golden globes up the wazoo. Never an Oscar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by darth_librarian View Post
So many comments come to mind here ...
I think they have another name for that sort of balls, and they go up umm... the other wazoo...
Benjamin Franklin 1775

"I know that the hypnotized never lie... Do ya?"
Pete Townshend 1971

FREE LEONARD PELTIER
Jade Jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th 09, 04:15   #634
hypatia
First One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade Jaguar View Post
I thought you didn't get TCM, or I would have mentioned Kwaidan was going to be on. Yes, Put Cure, and Onibaba on your Netflix list. Then go for Audition and Woman In The Dunes.
It may be BBC America you're thinking of, or whatever the BBC channel is over here. I wish we did get it, but that one is not offered to us. There are many more viewers of classic movies than British television offerings, perhaps.
Old February 25th 09, 18:06   #635
KoshFan
Soul Hunter

Finally saw WALL-E last night. Great fun. Although... Pixar films remain extraordinarily creative, humorous, and well-executed -- but all in the same way. I was was rarely surprised by the movie, although I was routinely delighted.

(JJ, all my TV viewing is on DVD or online, so I picked up 30 Days from Netflix.)

The Generous Grasp
KoshFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th 09, 01:36   #636
Chilli
High Treason Prevention Officer

Send a message via ICQ to Chilli Send a message via MSN to Chilli

I LOVED the first half of Wall-E. Sadly, it went downhill from there, for me - there's just so much of animated robots running down corridors I'm interested in. Great plot, great "characters", and WAY too much goofy action.

Meanwhile, I watched A Clockwork Orange for the first time.

I'm fucked up for life.

Chilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th 09, 02:49   #637
GKarsEye
First One

Quote:
Meanwhile, I watched A Clockwork Orange for the first time.

I'm fucked up for life.
Oh, sweet! Welcome to the club!

Just let that movie swim around your brain for a while. Watch a few dozen more times. Watch it with friends, lovers, family, your church congregation- it's great fun for all!
"Most smart people cannot watch most TV, because it has generally been a condescending medium, explaining everything immediately, offering no ambiguities, and using dialogue that simplifies and mitigates against the idiosyncratic ways in which people in different worlds actually communicate. It eventually requires that characters from different places talk the same way as the viewer. This, of course, sucks." - David Simon
GKarsEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th 09, 03:30   #638
Chilli
High Treason Prevention Officer

Send a message via ICQ to Chilli Send a message via MSN to Chilli

LOL

My first plan is to make my sister watch the movie - she sees herself as an art connoisseur and likes to watch artsy movies, but is squeamish as hell. That'll be awesome! Though I'd imagine it would be even more fun to use the movie as a litmus test for girls you're dating - see if they can sit through it without running away from you, screaming.

Definitely need multiple viewings. Possibly with subtitles next time, to save me quite the strain I had to put into following the conversation, and figuring out all the Russian.

Wonder if I'll ever manage to watch a movie again without wondering if this or that character will be raped and/or bludgeoned to death with a marble penis.

Chilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th 09, 03:54   #639
hypatia
First One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilli View Post
LOL

Though I'd imagine it would be even more fun to use the movie as a litmus test for girls you're dating - see if they can sit through it without running away from you, screaming.
What exactly would you be testing for here?

I am one of the female fans of this movie (I suspect there are not as many of us as there are male fans). I don't normally like gratuitous violence, and violent sex acts, or giant marble penis statue weapons in my entertainment. But a few things make that tolerable to me in this movie.

First of all, I was in college at the time that I first saw the movie. I had also been drinking. I was also in a large, primitive student theater with many other people who were in college and had been drinking at the time. I believe this helps.

Second of all, there actually was a reason, a very necessary reason, for all of that violence and sexual perversion in all of those scenes. That movie had me where it wanted me emotionally every second: I hated the protagonist when I was supposed to, I was bewildered when I was supposed to be, I felt oddly confused about what to feel for him, then I felt weird for feeling sympathy for him, then.... a kind of "what the hell am I supposed to feel about it now?!" by the end.

I have to seriously respect a film that can take me on such a roller-coaster ride.

Thirdly, as odd as it was for me at first, I loved the effect the modern slang had on the overall feel of the picture. I am not sure how to describe it. Made it feel even more "underground"? It seemed to put you into a world of gang mentality? I'm not sure.

And lastly, and not to be minimized for being last on the list... did I mention I was in college and I'd been drinking?

I also saw Pink Floyd's "The Wall" that way. It didn't leave such a lasting impression on me, but it did remain a memorable film to me for years to come.

Last edited by hypatia; February 26th 09 at 03:59.
hypatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th 09, 04:09   #640
Markas
His Majesty

Send a message via MSN to Markas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilli View Post

I'm fucked up for life.
My sister-in-law felt this way when my brother took her to the theater to see Pink Flamingos. That she married him after that amazes me.