B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5
Old September 15th 08, 16:45   #101
KoshFan
Soul Hunter

Re: New Joss Whedon show

I just wonder how much of this is the microscope effect. Since Joss has an extremely vigilant, communicative, and net-savvy fan base, including a lot of the entertainment media, news about his shows gets a lot of attention. So all the missteps and flaws that are ordinarily smoothed out behind the scenes (literally!) are now, instead, smeared all over the internet. We're practically sitting in the editing room; instead of the neat, smooth, brilliant finished product we're accustomed to seeing from Joss, we're instead walking in on the mess of said production. Which is why I keep emphasizing that we should wait and see what happens, rather than rushing to judgment. Cell, you may be right, maybe this thing is doomed... but there's no way the network is going to cancel the show before it even airs, so let's wait until it does. Then we can make a better call.

"Angel" shut down production after its first episode, because the second one as scheduled was going to be extremey dark and the network couldn't stomach it. So Joss & Co. rewrote the whole thing. Angel lasted five seasons and included some of Joss's best work.

On the other hand, Fox demanded a rewrite of "Firefly" and did axe it. So we have precedents both ways. Even the Fox Network people have no idea how well this show is going to do, come January, so again, let's wait.

The Generous Grasp
KoshFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th 08, 16:49   #102
KoshFan
Soul Hunter

Oh, and Eliza Dushku -- who's in a somewhat better position than any of us to know what's going on -- says that Fox loves the show. Of course, Eliza's also an eternal optimist, so make of that what you will, Cell.

The Generous Grasp
Old December 29th 08, 23:39   #103
Chilli
High Treason Prevention Officer

Send a message via ICQ to Chilli Send a message via MSN to Chilli

Been a while, but ..

The show will start airing on 13 Feb.

First reports not making me too optimistic.

Quote:
This episode was originally intended to be the series pilot, but after test audiences found it too confusing and dark Joss Whedon decided to shoot a new pilot, Ghost, to better introduce the story and characters to the viewing audience. It was originally reported that this episode was going to be aired second, after the new pilot, but when it proved impossible to salvage (even with reshoots) Joss decided to shelve the episode completely.
Still will probably give the show a try though, also if neither the cast nor the concept seem intriguing.

Chilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th 08, 15:58   #104
Jade Jaguar
First One

I like "dark and confusing."
Benjamin Franklin 1775

"I know that the hypnotized never lie... Do ya?"
Pete Townshend 1971

FREE LEONARD PELTIER
Jade Jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th 08, 23:40   #105
Recoil
First One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilli View Post
Been a while, but ..

The show will start airing on 13 Feb.

First reports not making me too optimistic.

Still will probably give the show a try though, also if neither the cast nor the concept seem intriguing.
I haven't busted this one out since grade school, but Chilli, that news is so old its moldy. That's been covered to death and things are believed to have worked out for the best from what I've heard.
Old December 31st 08, 11:37   #106
Chilli
High Treason Prevention Officer

Send a message via ICQ to Chilli Send a message via MSN to Chilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recoil View Post
I haven't busted this one out since grade school, but Chilli, that news is so old its moldy. That's been covered to death and things are believed to have worked out for the best from what I've heard.
Ah.

Well, that's what I get for getting all my news from Wikipedia.

Chilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th 09, 16:42   #107
KoshFan
Soul Hunter

A recurring mantra over at Whedonesque these days is, "Let's wait to actually see the show before we condemn it."

The Generous Grasp
Old February 14th 09, 04:09   #108
vacantlook

I almost forgot about this show, but I watched it tonight. I liked it, but I will have to give it more episodes before I can decide if I like it enough to watch it regularly. It did jump right into it, so it played more like a regular episode than a pilot or introductory episode.
vacantlook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th 09, 06:35   #109
KoshFan
Soul Hunter

The general consensus is that the second one is supposed to be better -- and that the real good stuff comes in five or six, when they -- to quote Joss -- "start blowing stuff up."

The Generous Grasp
Old February 14th 09, 20:11   #110
Cell
Telepath

I thought the premier was decent, and I can see the groundwork for what could be done, who knows if they will ever take that route though. But, my biggest gripe would be the muay Thai scene, that was the most unrealistic fight scene masquerading as a legitimate sporting fight that has ever been put to any screen. I love Joss, but he needs to never do a scene like that again, it was embarrassing. Still, that scene aside, I liked what I saw and I look forward to the show, provided it can last.
"When you have reached the end of the road then you can decide whether to go to the left or the right, to fire or to water. If you make those decisions before you have even set foot upon the road it will take you nowhere." - Galen
Cell is offline   Reply With Quote