• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

a couple of points

Dru

Hi all, its been a while since I posted here but I was watching the Sleeping in Light commentary the other day and noticed one thing and got to thinking about another point. So here goes;
Firstly, and I am sure that I'm not the first person to notice this but during the SiL commentary, just as Sheridan meets Zack on B5 JMS mentions his destination as being Corianna 7 Now, I'm not one to find fault with the great maker an all but I know for a fact having watched a few of these episode thingies that It's Corianna 6 not 7!
As I said I'm sure others have noticed this.
Secondly, as the season draws to a close (and with it the series) G'Kar goes travelling with Lyta, we all know that. But a scant few years later after he has presumably come through come through all his travails unscathed (unlike Lyta) He is seen as we all know fulfilling destiny by strangling (and in the process being strangled by) Emperor Mollari III Before this unfolds Londo offers, "I am as tired of my life as you are of yours" and then they go at it. Now Londo I can understand, what with Centauri Prime in ruins and him being a puppet of the Drakh but G'kar? When last we saw him he had to flee B5 to escape his fame and reputation as a religous icon, but did it really get so bad that he sought death at the hands of the Centauri emperor?
Obviously we don't know what drove G'kar to it as the series ended there but hey, at least Garibaldi raised a glass to him in SiL which is more than I can say for poor Lyta.
Any thoughts people? what drove G'kar to it?
All the best,
Andy.

Firstly, and I am sure that I'm not the first person to notice this but during the SiL commentary, just as Sheridan meets Zack on B5 JMS mentions his destination as being Corianna 7 ...

Hmmm, I'm going to have to go back and listen to that commentary again I think. I thought he said Coriana system rather than seven but, given my observation and listening skills, you could well be right.

Just goes to prove that no one is perfect ...

:D

Fans usually know such details (6 vs 7) better than the cast and even the writers, because we're dorks who memorise this crap and he just probably picked a number at random when he wrote the script.

For a better idea of what happened to G'Kar (and Londo, Vir, the Sheridans) in the years between their leaving B5 and his death, check out the trilogy of novels called Legion of Fire.

I thought he said "system" rather than "seven" also...

With regard to what drove G'Kar and Londo to that point, you'll have to read the Centauri Trilogy for answers. It answers that question and many more - the biggest mystery in my mind after having watched the series and movies was why the hell was Centauri Prime still burning, 15 years after the bombings!

The trilogies are well worth a read, as they fill in a lot of (but not all) the gaps that were still there after the series ended.

I can't be sure about that scene, but a little later when the ship's computer asks, "Destination?", I'm pretty sure he says Corianna 6 (or system), but definitely not 7.

Seems to a bit of confusion here, It was JMS on the commentary who called it Corianna 7 and not Sheridan...

... the biggest mystery in my mind after having watched the series and movies was why the hell was Centauri Prime still burning, 15 years after the bombings!

Yeah, mine too. And the Centauri trilogy answered it with an unexpected but pretty logical conclusion.

Seems to a bit of confusion here, It was JMS on the commentary who called it Corianna 7 and not Sheridan...

Oh right, in that case, who cares? The Great Maker is allowed to make the odd mistake here and there, we're not all perfect, and he can't be expected to remember everything detail for detail, word for word ;)

SiL, 34 min. 34 sec.
Zack: "Where're you headed?"
Sheridan "Corianna system, where we won the Shadow war."

SiL, 34 min. 46 sec.
Sheridan to the Bluestar's computer: "Computer, Set course."
Computer: "Destination?"
Sheridan: "Corianna Six. Best speed"

Here's one. :rolleyes:

JMS ("Racing the Night" commentary - 16 min. 25 sec mark):
"The ship, the Excalibur was something that was a long process of designing. I wanted something that was just huge. It's almost like a half a mile long or a quarter mile long."

Capt. Gideon ("War Zone" - 19 min. 55 sec. mark):
"A mile and a quarter long. The most advanced and fastest ship ever built by humans."

Based upon seeing the Excalibur next to B5, I'm going with what Gideon said. ;)

the biggest mystery in my mind after having watched the series and movies was why the hell was Centauri Prime still burning, 15 years after the bombings!

The question was raised when "WWE" first aired. JMS had a simple answer. (Paraphrasing here: It isn't still burning. It is burning again. Where is it written that a city can only be bombed once in its history?)

The books, of course, expand the particulars, but that's a pretty good explanation. Back before the books were released some fans correctly predicted the cause of the fires we see in "WWE" on the TNT boards. I was not one of them. :)

Regards,

Joe

Fair enough, I mean it's not like I'm holding this up as some kind of shining imperfection in the otherwise flawless fabric of the B5 universe. I was frankly surprised that no one else noticed it. After all, the season 5 collection has been out in the states for a while now. Or maybe it's me being obsessively anal.
Yes, that must be it
A mile and a quarter? vs half to a quarter mile eh?
Oh well, that I guess is on the Crusade commentaries which I don't yet posess and I hear that these commentaries will be removed from all subsequent issues of this collection.
Sorry if I offended anyones delicate sensiblities,
Until the next time,
Andy.

I was frankly surprised that no one else noticed it. After all, the season 5 collection has been out in the states for a while now.

No, it's just that there was no mistake there.

A mile and a quarter? vs half to a quarter mile eh?
Oh well, that I guess is on the Crusade commentaries which I don't yet posess and I hear that these commentaries will be removed from all subsequent issues of this collection.

Now, that, 1.25 miles vs. 0.5 or 0.25 miles long, was a mistake. JMS just spoke impromptu style and didn't check his facts, beforehand.

Sorry if I offended anyones delicate sensiblities,

Not at all. I was just pointing out a real mistake.

In my experience of these boards, people don't tend to get their knickers in a twist over such trivial matters. Even if it had been a mistake, I doubt anyone would have bothered to bring it up, and if they had done, it would just have been in passing...

He is seen as we all know fulfilling destiny by strangling (and in the process being strangled by) Emperor Mollari III Before this unfolds Londo offers, "I am as tired of my life as you are of yours" and then they go at it.

I think what he actually says is "I am as tired of my life as you are", not "I am as tired of my life as you are of yours". I always took that to mean that he (G'kar) was as tired of his (Londo's) life as he (Londo) was, not tired of his (G'kar's) own life..

It's the same (deliberate?) ambiguity in Convictions when Londo says 'I hate my life' and G'kar replies 'So do I'.

I haven't read the Centauri trilogy, though, so I don't know if there's some other subtext there or other reason for G'kar to want to die..

He is seen as we all know fulfilling destiny by strangling (and in the process being strangled by) Emperor Mollari III Before this unfolds Londo offers, "I am as tired of my life as you are of yours" and then they go at it.

I think what he actually says is "I am as tired of my life as you are", not "I am as tired of my life as you are of yours". I always took that to mean that he (G'kar) was as tired of his (Londo's) life as he (Londo) was, not tired of his (G'kar's) own life..

It's the same (deliberate?) ambiguity in Convictions when Londo says 'I hate my life' and G'kar replies 'So do I'.

I haven't read the Centauri trilogy, though, so I don't know if there's some other subtext there or other reason for G'kar to want to die..

No, you got it. :)

In my experience of these boards, people don't tend to get their knickers in a twist over such trivial matters. Even if it had been a mistake, I doubt anyone would have bothered to bring it up, and if they had done, it would just have been in passing...

You're joking, right?

I think what he actually says is "I am as tired of my life as you are", not "I am as tired of my life as you are of yours". I always took that to mean that he (G'kar) was as tired of his (Londo's) life as he (Londo) was, not tired of his (G'kar's) own life...

That's exactly right and - without getting into spoilers for the details in the book - solves the mystery of why G'Kar would "also" want to die at that point: He didn't. Nor did Londo want to kill him. G'Kar moves forward to kill Londo, at Londo's request, before the Keeper can awaken, rescind Londo's orders, and have the Sheridans killed. The Keeper does awaked while G'Kar is strangling Londo and it - not Mollari - starts strangling G'Kar in turn, in a desperate attempt to save its own life by saving its host. Thus Londo dies as he always wanted to - on his feet, accomplishing a noble end and serving his people. It really is one of the most wonderful and ironic moments in the entire series.

Regards,

Joe

Thus Londo dies as he always wanted to - on his feet, accomplishing a noble end and serving his people. It really is one of the most wonderful and ironic moments in the entire series.

That one, the scene where Londo accepts the Keeper and his reaction to the bombardment of the Narn Homeworld are my all-time favorites for Londo.

Jan

Back