• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

A Call to Arms: Fighting for the original cast

Favorite recurring character: All seasons

• Yes, I have

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I haven't

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Re: A Call to Arms: Fighting for the original cas

Very interesting...

I agree that an open call for the four leads sounds a little odd. Someone leaked this for a reason... pure fanboys kicks or something else?

Thanks Joe.

Someone leaked this for a reason... pure fanboys kicks or something else?

I think leaks usually have a purpose. In this case, what I hear is that the lack of mention of the original cast and the way the plot synopsis was worded in the casting breakdown was a deliberate attempt to 'prove' that the fans wouldn't care if the original characters were in the movie or not. The 'proof' would be the lack of a fan uproar. Hopefully we've uproared enough to back up JMS's objections to recasting.

Jan

the way the plot synopsis was worded in the casting breakdown was a deliberate attempt to 'prove' that the fans wouldn't care if the original characters were in the movie or not.

Or an attempt (and if so, it's working) to convince the fans that the original crew isn't in the movie AT ALL, or at best that one or two will be featured in small cameos. That would also take the curse off recasting - and I must say a number of fans on the newsgroup and elsewhere have, shall we say, "drunk the Kool-Aid" on this one. It is really hard to convince them that at least some of the original crew will have important parts in movie #1 and that the surest way of making sure the original actors get a shot at bigger roles in movie #2 is to make sure that they get cast now. If recognizable-but-not-huge actor plays Sheridan in TMoS the chances of Bruce getting the part in the next film (possiblly the teep war movie) drop to almost nothing. So, again, even if the cast list were accurate to the degree it tells us something about the plot, there is still reason to pus WB on the casting issue - especially given that certain people have leaked stuff to me, Jan, Amy, et.al., almost certainly with the intention (never stated in so many words in my case) that we bloody well do something about it because their hands are tied.

Regards,

Joe

My people:

I promise to you that sending out the letter ain't nothin'! It's like 10 minutes.

If the mighty (and often lazy) GKarsEye can take a little pause out of his normal activities of fixing less-skilled people's code at work, chasing tail, diggin' my new Thelonious Monk CDs and cheering for the Pats (GO PATS), y'all can take a breather, chill, and mail a letter- dig, snail that mail- and give them big-wigs a serious shot of some hardcore wisdom about our much-loved B5 crew.

As I recall Stalin kept asking for proof that those were really German planes bombing his border defences, and wouldn't let his people shoot back for most of a day until he was sure.

By the time the proof arrives at your local cinema, it'll be too late.

Joe, you are fully correct as usual.....

That´s why I am doig my part. I have already sent six letters (4 people plus 2 mine) to the addresses.

I even got the chance to send directly to Warner Brothers Studios in Los Angeles through the local branch of WB. I would recommend everybody do the same. The secretary who helped me was very kind and she will use the corporate mail internal exchange to send to the feature department in the USA.Hopefully it will reach the people who is creating this MESS in the B5 world......

Regards,

CADU
Zahadum

the way the plot synopsis was worded in the casting breakdown was a deliberate attempt to 'prove' that the fans wouldn't care if the original characters were in the movie or not.

Or an attempt (and if so, it's working) to convince the fans that the original crew isn't in the movie AT ALL, or at best that one or two will be featured in small cameos. That would also take the curse off recasting - and I must say a number of fans on the newsgroup and elsewhere have, shall we say, "drunk the Kool-Aid" on this one. It is really hard to convince them that at least some of the original crew will have important parts in movie #1

Given the plot synopsis that came out, how can anybody assume that the original characters are in the movie or aren't in the movie? Would all the main and strong supporting characters in the movie have been mentioned, or just the ones that are new and/or central to the story?

...and that the surest way of making sure the original actors get a shot at bigger roles in movie #2 is to make sure that they get cast now. If recognizable-but-not-huge actor plays Sheridan in TMoS the chances of Bruce getting the part in the next film (possiblly the teep war movie) drop to almost nothing.

True.

So, again, even if the cast list were accurate to the degree it tells us something about the plot, there is still reason to pus WB on the casting issue - especially given that certain people have leaked stuff to me, Jan, Amy, et.al., almost certainly with the intention (never stated in so many words in my case) that we bloody well do something about it because their hands are tied.

I sent in my fourth letter very early this morning. So far, I've received none of them back.

I sent in my fourth letter very early this morning. So far, I've received none of them back.

I've sent two each to Elstree and WB. I sent one set back in the middle part of December, and a second set early last week with the B5 Bucks.

I, also, have had none of them returned.

I promise to you that sending out the letter ain't nothin'! It's like 10 minutes.

And in this age of low IQs and short attention spans I, for one, could not ask for a better endorsement. ;) Go GKE. Oh, what the heck, just this once I'll throw you the "Mighty". You've earned it. Go MGKE! :D

Joe

Would all the main and strong supporting characters in the movie have been mentioned, or just the ones that are new and/or central to the story?

Impossible to say. We don't really have a "plot synopsis". What appeared on the Hollywood North site was presented as an excerpt or paraphrase from a either a longer document or a detailed verbal description of what was happening with the movie. It concentrated on explaining the "main" characters for which new actors were expected to be cast at the time the document was prepared - which may have been weeks or months before the article appeared. Even if every word in both the short description and the character descriptions is correct I would maintain that the what's in that article (and then distorted in the altered versions on the "casting" sites) tells us nothing one way or the other about the original characters. (Except that at that time - whenever that time was - someone expected that Galen would have to be recast either because Peter Woodward wasn't interested or wasn't available, and Lochely either wouldn't be recast or had already been - since she is explicitly mentioned and there is no casting information for the role.)

But many fans are treating this as "the dog in the nighttime" and assuming that (1) this stuff is gospel truth when for all we know it is a hoax and (2) that any characters not named in the document either aren't going to be in the film or will be relegated to cameos because the listed roles are slugged "lead".
All this faith in a synopsis and casting notice with no provenance whatsoever, and which has not been confirmed by any notices in legitimate sources like Variety and THR from the same people who absolutely refuse to believe anything posted by the War Council and keep demanding that we produce the kind of proof - in the form of a document signed by JMS in his own blood, presumably - that we have said from the beginning that we cannot produce because it would violate our deal with our various source. (Or as I put it on a usenet post earlier today, "Gee, Woodward, we'd really like to believe this Watergate story, but until you tell us who this Deep Throat guy is or someone from the Nixon campaign holds a press conference confirming your information, we have to treat it as a rumor and tell everyone else not to listen to you. You understand.")

You can bet your bottom dollar that when the casting sheets went around to the major talent agencies in Hollywood for ST: First Contact Zephraim Cochrane and Lily Sloane were (rightly) listed as "Lead" or "Main" roles. And yet the producers still managed to include Picard, Riker and the rest of the gang. Imagine that.

Regards,

Joe

Has anyone checked the British actor’s newspaper? It is indendent of "Variety".

"The Stage" (TBV) would not be used for A-List actors but British B-List or tv actors are a different matter.

Would all the main and strong supporting characters in the movie have been mentioned, or just the ones that are new and/or central to the story?

Impossible to say. We don't really have a "plot synopsis". What appeared on the Hollywood North site was presented as an excerpt or paraphrase from a either a longer document or a detailed verbal description of what was happening with the movie. It concentrated on explaining the "main" characters for which new actors were expected to be cast at the time the document was prepared - which may have been weeks or months before the article appeared. Even if every word in both the short description and the character descriptions is correct I would maintain that the what's in that article (and then distorted in the altered versions on the "casting" sites) tells us nothing one way or the other about the original characters.

And that's exactly my point. It tells us nothing one way or the other about the original characters except Galen. Just because Galen is the only one of the originals mentioned, it doesn't mean that he'll be the only original in the movie, either in a main part or a supporting part.

(Except that at that time - whenever that time was - someone expected that Galen would have to be recast either because Peter Woodward wasn't interested

Hopefully not true.

or wasn't available,

Hopefully could be worked around. Where there's a will, there's a way.

and Lochely either wouldn't be recast

That's my guess.

or had already been

Doubt it. She seems to be a team player, and would want to be in it and would probably bend over backwards to make it.

But many fans are treating this as "the dog in the nighttime" and assuming that (1) this stuff is gospel truth when for all we know it is a hoax and (2) that any characters not named in the document either aren't going to be in the film or will be relegated to cameos because the listed roles are slugged "lead".
All this faith in a synopsis and casting notice with no provenance whatsoever, and which has not been confirmed by any notices in legitimate sources like Variety and THR from the same people who absolutely refuse to believe anything posted by the War Council and keep demanding that we produce the kind of proof - in the form of a document signed by JMS in his own blood, presumably - that we have said from the beginning that we cannot produce because it would violate our deal with our various source.

I posted this to rastb5m (excerpted here), but it may not make it because I got a little PO'd at the Doubting Thomases/Thomasinas (my reply in bold):

> NO we don't KNOW. Still no tangible proof has been offered by you or
> anyone else. If JMS wants to speak up he should, if you want to
> provide proof you should.
>
> [snip]

Good grief, you're asking for the *impossible* like it's an easy and
simple thing to do! Sometimes you have to have a little bit of faith in
who's doing the talking. I do. You don't. Hell, I did *before* JoeD
weighed in. Sometimes, the Doubting Thomases can't verify the facts
with their own eyes, and so are content to sit on the sidelines. Fair
enough, we can't count on you for anything except the above kind of
post. If we succeed, you can thank us later for pulling your share of
the load in addition to our own.

Sometimes, you just have to take a chance.

If they recast Galen, I'n really going to be pissed! :mad:

Alright, alright, proof that bugging works. I'll send a second letter tomorrow. :LOL:

Now I know what I want to say, but what shouldn't I leave out for sure? The B5 bucks, a quick statement of my personal stats. What else?

Other than the obvious "I am against recasting original rolls, I was looking forward to seeing the original cast in the theatrical film and will not accept unnecessary substitutions..."?

Here's a copy of my letter from last week, if you're in need of inspiration. Looking back on it, it may have been a little rude and abrupt; but I think the point needs to be made...

Dear Sirs,

I am a huge fan of the TV series “Babylon 5.” Over a year ago, rumours began to circulate regarding the prospect of a movie – and as you can imagine, I (and many other B5 fans) were hugely excited. Not much more was heard, until a month or so ago, when more details began to emerge about “The Memory of Shadows.” However, myself, and thousands of other Babylon 5 fans did not like what we were hearing: the possibility of re-casting the film with new actors! I, and many others, at first, did not believe it; but in the last couple of weeks people whom I greatly admire and trust within the community, have confirmed these rumours.

I followed Babylon 5 – and the short-lived spin-off “Crusade” – since it first aired on terrestrial TV, and to this day it remains my favourite television show of all time. Babylon 5, unlike so many of its peers, was a character driven show. The actors brought these characters to life, and Babylon 5 has some of the greatest acting I’ve ever seen. The whole cast were brilliant, the chemistry between them unrivalled. It would be a crime beyond comprehension to re-cast them. Who could forget Bruce Boxleitner and Mira Furlan’s performance in the Season 2 episode “Comes the Inquisitor,” Peter Jurasik and Andreas Katsulas’s council scene in “The Long Twilight Struggle,” or Ivanova’s witty retorts across the 4 seasons that she appeared in? These are all extremely talented actors who deserve a chance of reprising their roles on the big screen. Changing the actor portraying the role would be a complete insult to the original actor, the fans and Joe Straczynski (creator, writer and producer).

I am clearly stating here that I will not go and see a Babylon 5 movie with new actors. Coming from a huge B5 fan, that has got to count for something. I own all five seasons, plus the TV movies and Crusade on both VHS and DVD. I have continually supported Babylon 5 for over 10 years. I am not willing to stand aside and let a movie I have waited half my life for be done in a hugely disrespectful and unfaithful way.

Millions of people across the planet, myself included, have invested a vast amount of money and time in Babylon 5, and if the re-casting rumours are true, it is a complete slap in the face to everyone who has been involved in B5 right from JMS, to the actors, to the fans. Don’t make the mistake of re-casting this movie, you’ll upset a lot of people.

I enclose a few “Babylon Bucks” to prove and pledge my support for the movie with the original cast. I hope you take my thoughts into consideration, and make a Babylon 5 movie we can all be proud of!

Kind Regards,

Richard Pertwee

That letter strongly resembles the one I wrote. You and I, and many others I'm sure, made some very valid points; points that I really hope they take into consideration. I even threw in the bit about the Trek movies not being recast, and what a huge success that's been, producing 10 movies in all and subsequently four spinoffs.

For all the time it takes some of these nay-sayers to type responses in this thread, they could have written a damn letter, printed out a couple "B5 Bucks" and sent the sucker on its way already.

Whats the big harm in doing this? Even if everything turns out to be BS (which it wont) theres still no harm in writing. However if everything is true there is great harm in doing nothing...

Or waiting too late, eh? ;)

I never questioned writing. Just writing twice, you know. I do love hearing all of the arguments from a month ago being repeated. More angrily phrased, but basically repreated.

I wonder how many letters might possibly make a difference. And if anyone's insiders have any information on what kind of comments are being made back at WB's.

"The Stage" (TBV) would not be used for A-List actors but British B-List or tv actors are a different matter.

Again, if they wanted established actors at all they would not be advertising an open call. You only do that if you are (a) in search of a new face or (b) absolutely desperate having exhausted all of the "A", "B" and "C" list possibilities.

For established actor they go to the studio's casting department and say "We need a male lead type, athletic, 30s. Who is in town?" It is the casting offices job to know that sort of thing. Then the casting office puts together a list of possible names, and head shots with resumes on the back. The producer, director and casting person for the film whittle this list down to reasonable number, say 5 to 10, and then contact the agents for their top three choices to hold meetings and/or formal auditions. If ensemble work is important to the piece (as I suspect it will be there) they might try out different combinations (as they did with different sets of Hans, Lukes and Leias when casting Star Wars) But they would not be taking out an ad in the newspaper saying "actors wanted" if the whole point is to get experienced people.

Regards,

Joe

I wonder how many letters might possibly make a difference. And if anyone's insiders have any information on what kind of comments are being made back at WB's.

Ooh, that's a good question. If there are insiders who know there's a re-casting possibility, can those same people keep us posted on if and how the letter-writing campaign is helping? It would be good if we could track the results of our efforts.

I do love hearing all of the arguments from a month ago being repeated. More angrily phrased, but basically repreated.
Different source this time around though, and last month they were still being treated as rumor. This thread turns it from rumor to "fact" in my book. That is a huge difference.

Ooh, that's a good question. If there are insiders who know there's a re-casting possibility, can those same people keep us posted on if and how the letter-writing campaign is helping? It would be good if we could track the results of our efforts.

That would be nice. Because right now I'm biting my nails, and I'm not a nail biter! :eek:

But I can understand if there is only so much info that these people are willing to give out, seeing as how I doubt that who ever is "leaking" this info wants to get caught.

I just read a post from some guy stating JoeDe should tell us who his source is. Ahhhhh, I'm thinkin' NO!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back