• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Lost: Hearts And Minds (Spoilers)

vacantlook

Super Moderator
So, we get Boone's story in this episode. As quite a few suspected, there was some thing of a sexual nature between Boone and Shannon. And granted while they're stepbrother/sister, their hooking up was still rather eew. But the part that Shannon has on several occations tricked Boone into coming to "save" her from abusive men by buying them out only so she can actually be the one getting the money was the better part of the episode, I think.

And Shannon's not dead, so yet another death fake out.

Jin and Hurley was kinda cute, but Sun and Kate was better. Got a very brief piece of Michael, but it was enough to make me want to know what was in that box of his.

Not really much of anything in solving the mystery in this episode.

I'm wondering if the island is a big ass ship of somekind, and that that hatch is an entry way into the ship, and the island floats around in the ocean, and maybe that's how the polar bear got on there because the island went to the artic for a while and picked one up.

Who knows.

For a minute there I really did think Shannon was dead, but the whole time I knew there was something fishy about Boone and Shannon both being tied up and running from what sounded like Godzilla. I kept thinking that it might have been a dream.

Yeah, we figured there was some sexual tension between Shannon and Boone. I kind of like how Shannon got played after all that time of playing Boone. She knew Boone wanted her, but I got the feeling that she wanted him too, and the only reason that got out was because she was drunk.

I liked the new interactions we had with Hurly and Jin and Kate and Sun. I have a feeling that Jin's going to learn about Sun's ability to speak English sometime soon.

As for that hatch, I really don't know what it is. I don't think it's a ship, because that would be the biggest ship history, and building something of that size would be exremely hard to keep a secret. Some of the possibilities that I've thought about are that it's an underground lab, or something maybe left over from WWII or Korea, like a secret base or something. It could also be something that has to do with Danielle's ship or where Ethan is hiding.

That's one thing I hate about this show: each week leaves us pondering something else, but that's a lot about what makes it great.

It didnt sound like Godzilla. It sounded EXACTLY like that thing from the pilot episode that was smashing trees in the woods, and killed the pilot of the plane. The thing that Loch had actually seen, but none of us know what it is yet. The big mystery creature.

Oddly enough they have been on the island, what? 3 weeks now tops? I find it funny how they all seem to just stroll off on their own into the jungle when in the pilot with that thing roaming around, no one would set a foot off the beach. OK so it hasn't been seen in a few DAYS that doesnt mean the coast is clear. I just think its odd how that big thing was part of the begining fear and has sort of gone to the background now. However on the island only a couple weeks has passed so they should still be damn nervous about going anywhere with that thing , and maybe other polar bears around.

All in all a decent episode.

Damn Shannon is hot.

Oh well, I thought it sounded like a toned down Godzilla or something out of Jurassic Park, same as I did when it killed the pilot.

Damn Shannon is hot.

Glad someone else finally thinks so. :cool:

I think it sounds more like some kind of machine than an animal. It has a weird sound to it that I just can't place...

It has a weird sound to it that I just can't place...

Recoil,

Are you Rose? :LOL: That's exactly what she said, but she said she was from the Bronx.

Yea, Shannon playing Boone like that was a real surprise. I personally didn't believe Shannon and Boone were sexually involved, but, apparently, this time the spoilers did lead in the right direction (generally, they send you in the wrong direction, because the easy, expected thing is wrong).

So, Locke made Boone hallucinate, so he could face his deepest fear head on, so he can survive what the island throws at him? I wonder just what exactly that will be.

Michael peering into his box, I believe is a cross-over scene, as I believe next week is supposed to be Michael-Centric.

So, Jin definitely responded to "Yur wife is HOTT", after Hurley had mentioned there was a rumor he could understand English. Think Jin took English lessons as well?

Last week's episode gave me the impression Sun would be scared of Kate. I think sometimes the flashbacks leave us with a false impression that another character was being told the story of the flashback, even though they know nothing of it.

After Michael's episode, it's my understanding it's no more than a few episodes until Claire's peril will be picked back up again.

I had heard there were only 3 new episodes before 2 or 3 more weeks of double reruns, and then play a bunch of new episodes, but, not sure if that news is accurate as there are apparently limited details on at least 4 more episodes that are in the can (Claire, Hurley, Jin, Michael)

So, what's the deal with North being in the wrong place? Locke's compass deliberately wrong? Or there more than a "minor" magnetic field? If so, why?

The "Monster" seemed to come up out of the ground, like a dust cloud, and reminded me of the Earth 2 natives the way it seemed to rise up. But then it seemed to block out most of the light when Shannon and Boone were in the trees.

Definitely Locke believes the key to the island is facing down and conquering your greatest fear/drama. The ones that have dealt with them the best, are the ones coping best on the island.

I'm wondering if the island is a big ass ship of somekind, and that that hatch is an entry way into the ship, and the island floats around in the ocean, and maybe that's how the polar bear got on there because the island went to the artic for a while and picked one up.

I'm not sure if thats the case, in fact, the more I think about it, I think the whole compass thing is a big red herring. I mean, if you think about it, where he thought west should be, and where the compass said it was, was maybe 20-40 degrees off, thats really not that big a deal when you are comparing things to where the sun sets. The sun does not set EXACTLY in the west, and its different depending on which side of the equator you are on. Although Loch did make it seem like he didnt need the compass because he figured things were messed up.

Actually Sayid said a little magnetic disturbance wouldn't cause something to that degree. Also, if it was just the compass Locke gave him why wouldn't he just let it slide, and use his own homemade one? Seems to me, something must have also been "off" on his homemade one, otherwise, why even mention to Jack?

So, what's the deal with North being in the wrong place? Locke's compass deliberately wrong? Or there more than a "minor" magnetic field? If so, why?

This would fit well with the concept of the island being some sort of vessel. It moves around and where one thinks is west may...shift.

This would fit well with the concept of the island being some sort of vessel. It moves around and where one thinks is west may...shift.

Hm, but if the island was moving, then the sun would be setting in a different place? They are basing where North should be, by where the sun rises and sets. So the island would have to be constantly moving, in order to have the sun where it should be, but North not be where it should be, if it was related to the island moving.

I was of the impression that being that near the equator (as they believe they are), that tides were expected to change rapidly and crazy like that? I think Sayid may have stated this in the show? (or perhaps someone I was talking to whispered it in my ear, and I'm mixing this up with someone telling Shannon about the intensity of the sun's rays near the equator.)

Could be possible. Though in that particular episode I seem to recall many of them being shocked at how quickly the tide rose. Of course I could have been distracted at the time it was explained as well.

The only thing that really jumps out at me as extremely odd...is that Loch SAW that big beast thing as it came out of the trees, and it did nothing to him, in fact he smiled.

He knows what is going on somehow I think.

One common Internet theory is that they are all dead and in "Purgatory"

One common Internet theory is that they are all dead and in "Purgatory"

Hush, don't start that here, LOL. ;)
The creative forces have stated it's not Purgatory. Plus, Purgatory is a Catholic belief. With the diversity of the ethnicities in the cast, I would say odds are extremely low that they are all Catholic, probably some Aethiests as well. Claire's baby hasn't been born yet (at least not when the plane crashed), so it is 100% innocent, how can it end up in Purgatory, if it has nothing to attone for?
They eat, sleep, get injured, die, need water, use the bathroom. Would all these occur in Purgatory?
The writers have also said everything has a Scientific or Psuedo scientific explanation. I wouldn't class Purgatory as either of those.
So, as much as some things lead one to believe Purgatory, I just can't believe it.

General feelings about the episode:

I've always kind of hated Shannon as a character (minus her looks of course). A helpless snob that just gets in the way. She really is, as Boone put it, "worthless."

I couldn't have been happier to see her die. I couldn't have been more dissappointed to see that (once again) it was just a fake death. Enough fake deaths already, no one's gonna believe them anymore unless someone ACTUALLY dies. Kind of reminds me of the LotR trilogy how every 15 minutes a main character was 'fake killed.'

I think this was the first episode that didn't feature some scenes with Sawyer on the island at all. He made a brief cameo in the police station that Boone was at, which was kinda cool, but other than that he wasn't in any scenes.

Once again, we didn't really get any answers but we got a lot more questions. What is the hatch thing (kind of a repeat question but to a much more drawn out extent)? What is with the compass? What's in Michael's box?

The list of questions is super long now, I have no idea how they're gonna fit in all the answers :p.

Some particular things to touch on that I've seen in this thread:

Oddly enough they have been on the island, what? 3 weeks now tops?

Yeah I was kind of dissappointed when Kate mentioned this. I was under the impression that it was much longer. That's a LOT of drama to have between 14 people in a mere 3 week span...

So, Jin definitely responded to "Yur wife is HOTT", after Hurley had mentioned there was a rumor he could understand English. Think Jin took English lessons as well?

I didn't think he reacted to it. He looked up because he heard the guy talking, but his reaction was no different than it was to the sentence right before that.

The "Monster" seemed to come up out of the ground, like a dust cloud, and reminded me of the Earth 2 natives the way it seemed to rise up. But then it seemed to block out most of the light when Shannon and Boone were in the trees.

I actually missed the episode so I had the VCR set to record it. When we saw that scene me and my girlfriend immediately rewinded to watch it in slow-mo, thinking we had gotten one up on the producers. The figure in the background isn't a creature at all, rather a net (like from a trap) being set off. Not that it really matters though, even if we had "seen" the creature it wouldn't have been the real thing since the whole thing was just Boone's hallucination anyhow, and he's never seen the creature and thus doesn't know its true form.

Errr...it doesn't matter whether the island is moving or not, the sun will always set in the west, so you'll always know where west is. So, unless the island moved drastically in the amount of time it took Jack and Sayid to look to the sun in the west and then shift their view to the "north," the two aren't correllated.

Oh yeah, and maybe I just missed this (though I'm pretty sure I've read all the Lost threads), but isn't the guy who plays Jin from Crusade?

Not having been swept away by the "Lost" craze (yet?) does the show seem to be an arc driven show? Do you think it is a season long "mini-series" or does it have a plan like B5?
I haven't taken the time to watch since I've been disappointed by IMHO great shows only to see them cancelled either before they have a chance to get started, or (even worse) just as pieces start to come together. Does anyone think there is a "last" episode to "lost"? Has anyone heard of any time frame with a real story arc, or just go on till ratings suck? Thank God for TV on DVD!!!! Didn't have a chance to catch firely or all of crusade eps during regular runs, but have seen them all (in proper order!) since. :D Should I start to watch in reruns or wait till its out in DVD?

I've always kind of hated Shannon as a character (minus her looks of course). A helpless snob that just gets in the way. She really is, as Boone put it, "worthless."

Yes, I couldn't agree more...and that is why I think she will be one of the great characters to watch in the show. Of all of the people on the island, does she not have the most potential to surprise us? The most potential for a huge turnaround? Characters like that interest me. How many characters in B5 did you start off not liking or think were really worthless? The one that comes to mind to me most is Vir. He was the "plucky comic relief" in the show. Goofy, corny, nervous, always under foot...basically a worthless character there to get cheap laughs or lighen up a scene right?

Thats why over the course of the show his change was probably the most dramatic.

Shannon is no different. She is COMPLETELY self-absorbed and useless at the moment, but given where they are and whats going on, that just can't last. I think she will turn out to be one hell of a character in the show...sort of like Vir in B5. The signs will start shoing themselves soon enough...

Latest posts

Members online

Back