• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Season 5 Deleted Scenes

Recoil

Regular
Did anyone watch those yet? IMO I think its a damn good thing they were deleted. They really didnt ADD anything to that episode, in fact in some cases I think they would have taken AWAY from the drama (the commander guy sick in bed and falling out, for example). Either way it was nice to see some deleted scenes like other DVDs do. Many times I think the movies would have been better off with them in, in the case of B5 and SiL however, I am glad they were cut. :)

Did anyone watch those yet? IMO I think its a damn good thing they were deleted. They really didnt ADD anything to that episode, in fact in some cases I think they would have taken AWAY from the drama (the commander guy sick in bed and falling out, for example). Either way it was nice to see some deleted scenes like other DVDs do. Many times I think the movies would have been better off with them in, in the case of B5 and SiL however, I am glad they were cut. :)

The one I really wished had been left in was of JMS walking alone down the hall after he'd turned off the lights. I'd always thought that it was slightly too abrupt, though I thought it was cut from his walking toward the switch rather than away.

It would have been nice to see the shots of Ivanova taking things from her office. It already looked like she was leaving for good even before she got Delenn's offer. The latrine duty was no loss, though.

Jan

I liked Sheridan's long walk down the corridor, but there really wasn't much need for it. I'm glad the commander in bed thing wasn't used - the "surprised by arriving commander/dignitary" thing got used too much.

The latrine duty gag was definitely too much. Whose helmet was that at the end of the scene, though?

I dont get the Sheridan's long walk down the corridor. It sounded like he heard something and it was of significance, but I couldnt tell what. At least in the scene that was kept, you KNEW what he was thinking/reminiscing about.

Whose helmet was that at the end of the scene, though?

I figured it was her old starfury pilot helmet. I was more interested in the pike she took off the wall. Think she inherited Marcus' somehow?

Jan

I dont get the Sheridan's long walk down the corridor. It sounded like he heard something and it was of significance, but I couldnt tell what. At least in the scene that was kept, you KNEW what he was thinking/reminiscing about.

I guess it's possible that if that had been included there'd have been some kind of additional sound added. I just took it as a little nod to what G'Kar said about a part of everyone still being inside the station, and setting up Zack's line about hearing the voices.

And J, yeah, I certainly assumed that was Marcus' pike, which then made me wonder whose helmet would deserve a similar place of honor in her office.

There are deleted scenes? Excellent! I will have to check them out at the next available opportunity. I was a huge Marcus fan, and his death on the show was a blow. I will have to keep an eye out for the pike.

Frizzell

And J, yeah, I certainly assumed that was Marcus' pike, which then made me wonder whose helmet would deserve a similar place of honor in her office.

Haven't seen this yet, but maybe Sheridan's, as her former CO and good friend?

I think they should have kept the extended Ivanova scene. I thought it was great because she kept her helmet & Marcus' pike (or at least I assume that's what those items were) all these years. The Sheridan scene didn't add much, & the scene with the sick guy just didn't work. It was great to see some extra SiL material, though.

Tammy

Maybe her brother's helmet? Dunno.

Ooh, I like that idea very much. Best I had been able to come up with was that it was intended to be Byron's somehow, since it was filmed before Christian left the series. But your idea is much better.

Maybe her brother's helmet? Dunno.

That was my impression, although it obviously wouldn't have been the one he was wearing when he kicked the bucket.
Y'know, when I first watched the deleted scenes last week, I was absolutely certain that it had to be Ivanova's brother's helmet that we saw sitting in her collection. Somehow, it made perfect sense that Susan would have kept a few trinkets over the years as a kind of memorial to those closest to her that have passed on. But after taking a look at some screenie's I took today, I'm not so sure about that anymore.

First we have Exhibit A, the helmet in question:
ivanovahelm1.jpg

And now, Exhibit B, that of Ganya's helmet from In the Beginning:
ivanovahelm2.jpg

As you can [kinda] see, Ganya's helmet does bear a slight resemblance to the helmet from the SiL scene (what with the red star in the middle and... well, that's about it), but I think it's safe to say that they do not share the same paint job.

Now look at Exhibit C (taken from one of Ivanova's flight scenes in "All Alone in the Night":
ivanovahelm3.jpg

Clearly, the helmet from SiL is much more similar to Ivanova's flight helmet than it is to her brother's. However, it's still up in the air which one JMS intended it to be. For the record, now my money's on Susan's.

And while we're looking at this scene, I noticed that Susan's also got a "Phobos Wing" patch sitting on the desk under Marcus' pike and next to her copy of the Offer of Amnesty:
ivanovahelm4.jpg

Does anybody know why that patch is important? It's not one of the patches her brother is wearing when we see him, and I don't remember seeing it any other time during the series. So what is it?

Dont' forget - 20 years have passed between Ivanova leaving the station and SiL and the chances are that stuff actually happened during that time period.

It would be unrealistic to suppose that her desk in 2282 carried trinkets/mementos from the time period covered by the show and before, and nothing from the 20 years since then.

<speculation>Phobos Wing could be the name of the group of Warlock class detroyers of one of which she was Captain, for example.</speculation>

Cheers,

I assumed right off the bat it was her helmet, and still think so. The "Phobos Wing" patch looks a lot like a fighter squadron patch, and she certainly served in a squadron somewhere before she got to B5. I would guess from its prominant place that this was the patch of the fighter squadron Ivanova commanded sometime pre-B5.

I assumed right off the bat it was her helmet, and still think so. The "Phobos Wing" patch looks a lot like a fighter squadron patch, and she certainly served in a squadron somewhere before she got to B5. I would guess from its prominant place that this was the patch of the fighter squadron Ivanova commanded sometime pre-B5.

That's definitely a good possibility Grumbler. But after a little closer inspection, I've got a niggling suspicion that this patch originally belonged to Byron and that this deleted scene may just be one of the only pieces of filmed evidence of JMS' original plan for Season 5.

Am I jumping to conclusions here? Oh, absolutely. And I'm also more than aware that what I'm basing this theory on is just a prop (and for that matter, a prop from a Deleted Scene). But do consider the fact that the design on the patch we're talking about here is encircled by the Black Omega logo.

Could it be..?

...I've got a niggling suspicion that this patch originally belonged to Byron and that this deleted scene may just be one of the only pieces of filmed evidence of JMS' original plan for Season 5.

You have it all wrong. You must think like the Soviets about such things. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Exhibits B & C have a prominent central star design. Exhibit A does not. Remember, in red light, red goes white. Exhibit A looks nothing like B or C.

KoshN,

Why not settle this and post the question regarding the S5 DVD Extended Scene Attn: JMS in the moderated newsgroup. I'm sure when he gets the time, he would be willing to answer a question on 'new material'

Back