• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

LOTR:ROTK EE length

From Peter Jackson: (although the editor of the site cannot confirm this quote)

"It is different with the DVD version. People watch it at home. They can lay on the couch or spread the experience over two or three nights. That is the amazing thing with DVD. It gives a whole new dynamic and I can assure you that the DVD version of Return of the King will be longer than 4 hours and 50 min."

DAMN! Even if it is technically a "rumor" it isnt that hard to believe given the first two EE releases.

Given that the previous 3 EEs had an additional 40-50 minutes of material, I would have expected somewhere between 4:00 4:15, especially given that the original cut of the Theatrical Edition was apparently 4:15 (as quoted by PJ when explaining the cutting of the Saruman death scenes).

However, what is most interesting for me is that in a recent interview with the BBC, Peter Jackson stated that, as far as HE is concerned, the TEs should be considered the definitive versions of all three movies, with the EE being an "extra" for the fans.

However, what is most interesting for me is that in a recent interview with the BBC, Peter Jackson stated that, as far as HE is concerned, the TEs should be considered the definitive versions of all three movies, with the EE being an "extra" for the fans.

I remember reading that somewhere too. Luckily, since both are available to buy, there doesn't really have to a "definitive" or "official" version, which leaves it all up to opinion.

Personally, I consider the EEs to be definitive. Even without being an expert on the books, I still get the feeling when watching the TEs that something's missing (not as much with the 1st movie since I didn't know any better back then). Things don't really seem complete until the EEs come out. They fill in the gaps and explain things that were glossed over in the TEs.

I got a much better fell of character development and sense of backstory when the EE of FOTR came out. I'm not even sure I was totally okay with the TE of TTT, but I've come to really enjoy the EE. In fact, my best friend was practically ticked off at how TTT turned out the first time he saw it on the big screen. He warmed up to it when he saw it the second time, and I'm pretty sure he's totally okay with it now that he's seen the EE on DVD.

From Peter Jackson: (although the editor of the site cannot confirm this quote)

"It is different with the DVD version. People watch it at home. They can lay on the couch or spread the experience over two or three nights. That is the amazing thing with DVD. It gives a whole new dynamic and I can assure you that the DVD version of Return of the King will be longer than 4 hours and 50 min."

DAMN! Even if it is technically a "rumor" it isnt that hard to believe given the first two EE releases.

In Theonering.net it's mentioned that someone misheard PJ at that moment, he said four hours fifteen minutes, not four hours fifty minutes. You can go and scavenge around a bit if you want.

I'm sure TORN has a quote for Ian McKellan saying that its about 5 hours. If its gonna be that length I hope they split the movie over 3 discs to maintain a/v quality.

I'm sure TORN has a quote for Ian McKellan saying that its about 5 hours. If its gonna be that length I hope they split the movie over 3 discs to maintain a/v quality.

I'm sure they will. Because I think that they know how zealously masses will react if the quality of video would be too unsatisfactory.

It's official, it's over 6 hours! What a fine way to spend an evening.

Official? What do you mean official? Something isn't official until lordoftherings.net or Peter Jackson have said so.

It has been mentioned several places. TORN pretty much just compiles signifigant LOTR mentions throughout the net.

TORN is not an official LOTR affilication

I'm fully aware of that, but since they did knew the exact running time on Fotr:ee and on TTT:ee before, I do believe that 4 hours and 10 minutes would be pretty close to rotk:ee length. And also, PJ has said in some premiere thingie that it will be no more than 4h 15min before, so this goes pretty well with his statement.

If you ask me, and I know you don't ;), the LOTR material PJ has filmed should be made into a miniseries (either for TV or direct DVD transfer), since there's still some stuff from FOTR and TT left that he didn't use in the EE's.

He could do some additional filming and add the adventures of Bilbo with the dragon.

I remember reading that after the release of the last EE there's going to be an extra large cut of the whole three movies, cut in chronological order of the events. But I can't give you a link because I read this in one of the Imdb forums quite a while ago. So, I don't know if this is true.

PJ is done with LOTR; he's on King Kong now. And he shouldn't revisit it all the time like George Lucas.

PJ is done with LOTR; he's on King Kong now. And he shouldn't revisit it all the time like George Lucas.
Yep.

Although if he is able to pull off somehow, a project for "The Hobbit" that would be a welcome pre-qual.

I will really be pissed off if there are any more LOTR DVD (ie not HD-DVD) releases after the ROTK:EE. Frelling double dipping studios :mad: :mad:
I've already heard rumours on TORN about a 2005 release with all 3 EE plus another disc with filmed material that was cut - they'd better make that single disc available to those of us who've bought the EE's separately!

Heh, actually I am one of those who is waiting to get a bundled set of all 3 EE's because you just KNOW one is going to be released --- and why not? My roommate has bought them seperately though, so we have been able to watch them as they come out. But I'm holding out for the big gift-set.

I've done exactly the same thing. I've put off buying any of them because for something this grand and epic, they just have to put out some kind of fabulous box set.

Back