• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

LOTR:ROTK EE length

I know it's coming but how can I wait. I always buy the regular editions as well because I couldn't wait the extra 3 months to see the film again(also sometimes I don't have the extra half hour or may just want to see the other version).

It sounds like the box set they've already announced will not have Peter Jackson involved since he supposedly said he didn't know anything about it at the fans oscar party the other night. Jackson did say he would like to do a box set in the future with really good picture quality(hd).

I'm probably going to skip the first box set and wait for the one PJ does.

You mean there is a rumor of a Boxed set that is DIFFERENT than just simply packaging the 3 EE versions together?

Because frankly, all I am interested in is the 3 EE versions. If there is another boxed set out there with just the theater versions and some extra stuff thats not for me.

I can't see what other possible variation there might be other than theatrical and EE versions in boxed sets (and I am sure there will be both options). But a third?

I got the "gift set" of the first EE and the non-gift set of the second EE, and will do the same for the third. So I'll have the three book-looking sets bookended by the little statue dealys, and that will look so cool. I can't imagine them doing anything else that would merit waiting for all three.

I wasnt even aware there were gift-set and non-gift-set versions of the EE's. Got any URLs to see the difference?

I can't imagine them doing anything else that would merit waiting for all three.

You mean besides someday getting an HD version? :devil: :D :cool:

But, yeah, pending a whole HD home theater setup, I can't imagine extras that would be added to a box set that would get me to re-buy after I get the RotK EE (already having the other two EE's).

I wasnt even aware there were gift-set and non-gift-set versions of the EE's. Got any URLs to see the difference?

FOTR:EE had this gift packaging, it had two Argonath statues, TTT:EE had also different packaging and included a Gollum statue plus a Gollum DVD and booklet.

Just to nitpick- its actually a Smeagol statue :D

I'd heard there's going to be an extra disc with filmed scenes that didn't even make it into the EE's with the 2005 trilogy EE package.

But really we already got a hint of those in the EE extras: Liv at Helms Deep and a Gollum-like Frodo. So I guess I can live without seeing the extra disc.

The EE have all the extras I could ever want though. I hope there's also a bare-bones HD-DVD version available with just the EE movies.

I remember reading that after the release of the last EE there's going to be an extra large cut of the whole three movies, cut in chronological order of the events. But I can't give you a link because I read this in one of the Imdb forums quite a while ago. So, I don't know if this is true.

It isn't. This was something Peter Jackson, Fran Walsh and Phillepa Boyens joked about on the Two Towers commentary track, they remarked that it would be 'interesting' and that a fan 'could do it with software that's out there'.

However, it didn't sound like something that they actually planned to do (and frankly, why should they?)

I remember reading that after the release of the last EE there's going to be an extra large cut of the whole three movies, cut in chronological order of the events. But I can't give you a link because I read this in one of the Imdb forums quite a while ago. So, I don't know if this is true.

It isn't. This was something Peter Jackson, Fran Walsh and Phillepa Boyens joked about on the Two Towers commentary track, they remarked that it would be 'interesting' and that a fan 'could do it with software that's out there'.

However, it didn't sound like something that they actually planned to do (and frankly, why should they?)

The "and frankly, why should they" part is my opinion about the single big chronological re-edit of the first 2 Godfather movies, but "they" went and did that.

I heard from someone who attended TheOneRing.net Oscar Party, where Peter Jackson did announce that they will be releasing a boxed set of the three movies next year. To be included will be the bloopers and outtakes from the 15 months of filming. I Can't say what else will be included though.

Angel

Just to nitpick- its actually a Smeagol statue :D

Nitpicking back - ;) Nope, Smeagol was his name before his transformation, he's now Gollum (with 'Smeagol inside', <g>) :D

[/quote]

Well, I guess there's no need for PJ to do it for the money... :D

What you're saying is quite interesting. I haven't listened to PJ's commentary, yet. But the guy who posted the idea of an extra-large cut on the imdb sounded dead serious and IIRC this post came out long before the release of the TTT EE. But I don't want to spread any rumors.

Personally, me thinks we have not seen the end of LOTR EE's.

The suggestion of a fan cut of the LOTR movies is great, though. I have no problem with the FOTR EE, whereas with TTT EE I would cut out Eowyn's 'singing' and 'cooking' scenes. :rolleyes:

Any takers? Or any suggestions which scenes should better be cut or which scenes you missed in the EEs ?

In the theatrical version of ROTK I definitely missed an explanation why Denethor (Boromir's and Faramir's father) behaved like a madman. I think we're going to see in the EE that this was
S
P
O
I
L
E
R
because he looked into his Palantir. I also expect to see the end of Saruman and Wormtongue. Well, ROTK was a long movie, but for my tastes it was still too short. The fighting at the Black Gate was definitely too short. LOTR is a great novel and in order to 'get it all on film' three movies are still not enough. Especially in book three there's so much more: Houses of Healing, Prince Imrahil, the Scouring of the Shire (not my favorite chapter of ROTK, though a very popular chapter among Tolkien fans) etc.

?
S
P
O
I
L
E
R
?
...SORT OF...
?
I also get the feeling that ROTK:EE should include some footage of the Corsair ships (I think that's what they're called) being captured. In the theatrical cut, they just kind of show up. Surely there's a whole story to how they were taken over.

I also get the feeling that ROTK:EE should include some footage of the Corsair ships (I think that's what they're called) being captured. In the theatrical cut, they just kind of show up. Surely there's a whole story to how they were taken over.
The Army of the Dead killed everyone on the ships, just like they killed everyone at Pellenor Fields. I dont' think there's any need to show this, or else it cuts out the dramatic weight of their appearance at Pellanor Fields

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back