• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Star Wars Episode III trailer on "The O.C."

Re: Star Wars Episode III trailer on \"The O.C.\"

Precisely Adm Dave and GKE.

HP is getting darker (Has been since the end of book 3), and that's because the kids who started reading them as well as the characters are growing (Obviously the readers are growing faster).

Ep I was 6 years ago was it not? So if you were 8 when you watched it, you would now be 14, for episode III. Part of the impact of having a heavy, dark ending comes from having a lighter, happier beginning, IMHO

Trailers are very deceiving, people. Never trust a trailer. They are designed to sell you on anything and a lot of effort is put into them so they will get you into a theatre, period.

And I agree, which is in part what my gag reply to Andrew was about...

HEY ! :mad: Lucas can dash my new found faith in him to pieces all on his own!! :mad:

He DOES NOT need help from you Andrew!! :mad:

Just kiddin'! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

But I totaly respect what you are saying colonyearth. For all we know, these could be the only good parts shown, or worse there are no good parts and the stuff we are seeing have been placed in a context that just happens to look cool and in the movie will make you want to cry out " WHY!?! "

But on the other side of that coin I also hold to what I said before...

I tell you, if the movie lives up to this trailer, Lucas has redeemed himself!! (crosses fingers) :)

So, he will have redeemed been in my eyes at least. Granted NOTHING will make SW:AotC not suck for me, nor will anything make the parts of SW:TPM that I don't like stop bugging me, they being (in order):

1) Jar Jar Binks (no brainer on that one!)

2) The Midichlorians, I thought where a BIG mistake. Although Star Wars is a Sci-Fi/Fantasy, I liked it better when the Sci-Fi parts of Star Wars stayed on "there" side of the fence (like lasers, ships, ect), and the the Fantasy stuff stay on it's side (namely The Force).

Highlander II anyone? :rolleyes:

3) The Pod race was just too long (and they made it even longer on the DVD!!)

4) Jake Lloyd was not the best kid actor I've ever heard.

5) I thought Darth Maul was killed off too easily. He just stood there and watched Ob1 jump over him, ignite his lightsaber, and get cut in half.

Fix these up, and I'd say SW:TPM was on par with the classic (for my money at least).

But as far as the new movie goes I guess only time, and $7.50 for a ticket will tell if Lucas can pull it together.

But in no way am I above the fact this movie could end up blowing chunks.

Here's an abstract "defense" of changing tone for the last film:

If a kid watched the kiddie movie Ep 1, then by now he's no longer a kid, so Ep III should be a bit more grown-up.

*received bribe money from LucasFilms...*
Here is another one. The original trilogy had the second movie a lot darker than the third, and many say its the best of the three. Really nothing all that wrong with changing the tone with the story dictates it.

Anyone know if there is going to be a Jar Jar Binks be-heading in this third one? :)

I didn't get a chance to see this new trailer yet, although I wish I had. I'm sure it's available for download somewhere already, just need to do some searching.

It is. A website is linked on AICN and you can get a hi-res download there.

Two cents I happen to fully agree with GH! Lucas doesn't have a clue about planning a story out in advance...because Lucas is not a very good storyteller period.

The fact that his saga keeps entertaining millions of people says something. I guess it has subliminal advertising.

If a kid watched the kiddie movie Ep 1, then by now he's no longer a kid, so Ep III should be a bit more grown-up.

Okay... The true reason the movie is "not for kids", is because if the off screen serial killing in Episode 2 bothered you, get ready for much heavier stuff along those lines in Episode III.

[
But I totaly respect what you are saying colonyearth. For all we know, these could be the only good parts shown, or worse there are no good parts and the stuff we are seeing have been placed in a context that just happens to look cool and in the movie will make you want to cry out " WHY!?! "

I bet most of the best parts were left out. Including the scenes with the new villain that was announced earlier in November.

I don't think George Lucas would do that- he has no reason to. Do not listen to the naysayers, this is the last movie, which lasts two hours. Compare that to a two minute trailer. Believe me, it's gonna surprise the hell out of all of us. I for one am going to enjoy the movie. The last of the Star Wars movies doesn't come every day.

P.S: The trailer kicked ass.

I used to care.

I want to care again.

Bah.

I suppose I'll check out the trailer tonight.

By the same token, the OT was released some 30 years ago now, so all the Star Wars fan are pretty much all growed up...

The other thing I don't get about this "not for kids" stuff is if it was geared more towards adults this time, why the heck would they make this exclusive trailer release deal with the TV show of choice for middle school adolescent girls everywhere?

Well from what I read, when Lucas said "kids" he stated he would not take a 5 or 6 year old to see this film. Perhaps his idea of "kids" is about 6 and under.

I just saw the trailer, accidentally. I had remained spoiler-free to this point.. and then I went to see "Robots"... (which was good) and then there was one last preview snuck in before the film and suddenly it's Star Wars all over the screen.

I want to believe....

It could be really good. It could also be awful. I can't judge. I can only hope. Here's hoping a return of the greatness of The Empire Strikes Back!

As for the kids thing, rumor has it that it'll be rated PG-13, the first of the lot to be so rated.

The Harry Potter novels have gotten progressively darker and more adult in tone, though "Half Blood Prince" is, from most indications, to be lighter than "Order of the Phoenix" and these are considered kid's books.
That's a bit different in that the HP series is deliberately made to be for older people each time. Not only are the storylines darker and more complex with each book but the literary style is aimed at older age groups. Lucas has always said that the third of the films would be darker but I don't think for a minute that he designed it that way intentionally.

The last of the Star Wars movies doesn't come every day.

They come out about every 22 years by my calculation. :p

I have high hopes, although we've certainly been burned before. There's no doubt that this movie will be darker. The bad guys win. The good guys die, or run and hide for the next 17 years. There will be violence, death, and hideous mutilation. WooHoo!

I think the trailer showed too much about Palpatine. I would rather not have seen Windu and the Jedi coming to arrest him until the movie. That's going to be a pivotal scene, surprising in its ferocity, and for those regular people out there who never noticed the "Emperor Palpatine" figures on the Toys-R-Us shelves 20 years ago - a total toad strangler.

I think what's going to make this good is that there is a lot of ground to cover, so the story should move quickly and not get bogged down. Even the crawl for the opening of the movie reads much better than the last two.

I'm ready for another midnight visit to the multiplex.

Yes, I think the trailer did give a little too much away.

Probably the thing I liked the best about the trailer is how it seems Anakin is (quite rightly) central -- the Jedi are beginning not to trust him, yet of all of them he's closest to Palpatine and can be useful, and Palpatine is making all the right moves in reeling in his new apprentice....

Yes, I think the trailer did give a little too much away.

So do I, but I think it's the only way Lucas can win back what he lost before the release.

Although he may or may not have lost his artistic touch for a minute there, I've never thought for a second that Lucas was/is fool.

Too many of "us" (I being one of them) had lost faith in Star Wars after the last two films. And frankly there is no way Lucas could not know this.

How can you guys say it "gave too much away?"

If you didn't know Palpatine becomes the Emperor, and Anakin becomes Vader, and that they both killed ALL the Jedi in order to rule the galaxy, then you're gonna be a little more than lost if you go see this flick. Also, ya might want to go back and watch the original trilogy first. :p

Well, my dad didn't know that the Emperor's name was Palpatine, so I kind of blew that for him -- but he was already pretty suspicious of that particular senator.

How can you guys say it "gave too much away?"

If you didn't know Palpatine becomes the Emperor, and Anakin becomes Vader, and that they both killed ALL the Jedi in order to rule the galaxy, then you're gonna be a little more than lost if you go see this flick. Also, ya might want to go back and watch the original trilogy first. :p

Assuming you've watched ALL the SW films, but haven't read the novels or been even a casual collector of SW merchandise, you would know basically where the story was going but not the specifics. Like I said, long long ago, in a Toys R US far far away, I saw a figure of the Emperor, which read "Emperor Palpatine". That was the first time I had ever read that name and I had been following the progress of Star Wars since 1975 via Starlog magazine. The point is, as far as the movies alone are concerned, they have never revealed this fact that we geeks are all well aware of and the first two films have played it completely straight in showing Sidious and Palpatine as separate characters. The first scenes of the movie will involve the Jedi "rescuing" the Chancellor after he has been "abducted" by separatists led by Dooku. The trilogy continues to play him as a good guy (such as his broadly smiling face in the group shot at the end of The Phantom Menace) right up until the scene where he is to be removed from office. Then, apparently, it will be revealed that he's been ol' scrambled-egg-face all along, yet somehow with the ability to cloud his true appearance to even the most powerful of Jedi. And unlike Kosh, he doesn't need to take a rest afterward.

The trailer shows Windu coming to take him in, and he does his hissing-snarling bit and launches at the Jedi like a sack of rabid weasels. Moments later I believe all the Jedi in that room except for Windu will be cut to pieces. From the rumors I've heard, he goes differently, but I'm not sure.

I would have preferred it if the trailer had simply focused on the Annakin-Vader transformation, which even the least interested people out there have slowly become aware of.

I still lurk on spoiler sites, know most of the plot and a lot of the dialogue. It really does seem like this movie will kick ass, but then I thought that about AOTC.

There will be more cool moments than sucky moments, but I have my doubts about the story telling aspects.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back