• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Doctor Who - Season 3 [spoilers]

As a non-brit that was not familiar with her show at all - and thus was completely free of prejudice - I thought she was spectacular in the Runaway Bride.

As a Brit who was never interested enough to watch her show I also thought she was pretty good in The Runaway Bride - in particular, her attitude towards the Doctor and really not wanting to be in the TARDIS was an interesting dynamic for that episode.

Also, whoever she is, she really should be given the opportunity to show what she can do with the part before everyone slags her off on the basis of something else she has done that is completely different.

As a Brit who was never interested enough to watch her show I also thought she was pretty good in The Runaway Bride - in particular, her attitude towards the Doctor and really not wanting to be in the TARDIS was an interesting dynamic for that episode.

Also, whoever she is, she really should be given the opportunity to show what she can do with the part before everyone slags her off on the basis of something else she has done that is completely different.

HEHE, I remember when the revival was first announced for Eccelston, and they announced Rose as the companion, there were so many gasps of "Oh, God no!" 6 or 7 episodes in, people started posting that Rose was amongst the very best companions ever in the entire Series, going all the way back to 1963

I've stayed away from this thread until season 3 started here in the US.. now that it has, I have a few observations:

Tennant as the Doctor is like meat & potatoes. A perfect fit. I'm sad that he'll be leaving the show in the next season or two (or has he changed his mind?).

THANK GOD they didn't make Bridezilla the Bitch his new companion. I was getting worried there for a while until the last 5 minutes of the season opener. Martha is a much better companion. Not hard to look at, either. Of course, not many of them have been.... *sigh, Peri...*

I want a frickin miniseries about these Time Wars & the end of Gallifrey that he keeps talking about already... dropping bits of info for us to piece together is one thing, but constantly mentioning this huge war that took place and then never EXPANDING on it is getting annoying... kind of like throwing the Torchwood name into an episode but never really having it mean much in the end.

You are really going to like this season, especially the latter half.

Don't read this thread too much, as there are loads of spoilers.

I recorded both showings of Runaway Bride, and Smith and Jones on the SciFi Channel. I am glad to finally be seeing the third season. But, I have some problems with SciFi's presentation.

In neither showing, did they show the name of the ep, or its writer, for Smith and Jones. I would assume they should have been at the end of the intro sequence, just as they were in Runaway Bride.

In the earlier showing, they had those annoying pop-up graphics running around the bottom of the screen. Their cuts at the ends of segments seemed to lose a few frames of the program, and didn't have even a second of black screen between the program and commercials, which makes editing out commercials very difficult. Of course they compress the credits so much as to make them unreadable, even on a large HD screen. So, you can never read the cast.

In the second showing, there were no annoying pop-ups, and the transitions between program and commercial were a little better. At least it didn't look like they cut any frames from the program. So, if you are in the US, and recording this, I recommend you record the second showing. I record both showings, one on my DVDR, and one on my DVR, so I am more likely to wind up with a good recording, if there are glitches in one transmission.

So, can anyone tell me who wrote Smith and Jones, was it RTD? And, was that Roy Marsden playing the head of the hospital?

Wow, that's great to know. Thanks, JJ. :D

I watched the Christmas episode, which I was taping, then went to sleep at the end of it. I'll watch the first episode that follows this week sometime.

And I usually tape it and watch it later, so thanks a million for the tip, there. :cool:

That's interesting Jade, 'cause here in California, they did show the titles and the writers ( I know this because I remember having seen RTD as the writer, and it was surprising to me to see him as the writer.)

I too record them (Although on VHS) and watch/transfer to DVD on Saturday or Sunday mornings.

I thought Donna was OK, although her screeching was annoying, but yea, Martha was better I really enjoy Tennant's Dr, shades of the Bakers, IMHO, with his "over the top" antics.

That's interesting Jade, 'cause here in California, they did show the titles and the writers ( I know this because I remember having seen RTD as the writer, and it was surprising to me to see him as the writer.)

I got the title for Runaway Bride, but no title or author for Smith and Jones. So, exactly where in the ep did you see the title for Smith and Jones? Was it part of the intro, at the end of it, while the Tardis is swirling through the vortex, or were they superimposed on the opening of the ep, like the director was?

I got the title for Runaway Bride, but no title or author for Smith and Jones. So, exactly where in the ep did you see the title for Smith and Jones? Was it part of the intro, at the end of it, while the Tardis is swirling through the vortex, or were they superimposed on the opening of the ep, like the director was?

I believe it was at the very beginning right after the CGI and music when it went back to the regular show (Or maybe during the CGI sequence). I don't normally pay all that close attention to those things, but, this time it did catch my to see RTD himself wrote it.

Oh, and the squashed credits thing at the end, I agree, extremely annoying.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back