• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

B5:TLT Actual DISCUSSION Thread

Re: Actual B5:TLT News

One thing I want to know. Who are the nefarious poltroons hailing from the same fair land as me... who are attempting to cause agro as referenced by Bruce.

I'm considering possible courses of responsive action. Although perhaps paying them attention gives them the gratification they are after.

Although perhaps paying them attention gives them the gratification they are after.

I think that would be true. It's better to leave them alone. JMS and Bruce know that they're only a very small segment of UK fandom, just very loud.

Jan

Why did they have to come from here though?

Do you think it's possible there is a link between them and a certain UK magazine that jms has crossed swords with (at least I think they are a uk magazine).

Why did they have to come from here though?
Oh, they're hardly the only idiots to have caused uproars. They're just the ones making noise this week.

Do you think it's possible there is a link between them and a certain UK magazine that jms has crossed swords with (at least I think they are a uk magazine).
Nope. In fact, the loudest of them once posted a long and detailed explanation of the JMS/SFX fuss which prompted JMS to respond: "Marry me." Needless to say, the wedding's off now. :LOL:

Jan

I find it annoying and mystifying in equal measure. Where can we find these people and what shall we do to them...

As for the SFX fuss, I still read that rag. The pictures are usually quite good.

I stopped reading it a while back... partly because I felt embarassed buying it when they continually went to great lengths to obscure the F so it looked like an E and everyone in WHSmiths seemed to stare at you disapprovingly.

Although I never actually found out what pee'd jms off, thaqt was enough of a final straw for me.

A few years back when I was still with the soul destroying succubus that was my ex girlfriend, she claimed one of the journo's behind their stall at Memorabilia at the NEC was eyeing me up.

I have special memories of that event. I got Jason Carter, Claudia Christian, Tom Baker, David Prowse, Warwick Davies and Julie Caitlin Brown's autographs. I would have got Chase Masterson's as well... but get this... my ex forbad me on the basis that Ms Masterson was too pretty and flawless in appearance.

Needlessly to say I had a narrow escape in getting out of that relationship.

Oh and it was also amusing watching a detatchment of stormtroopers heading off up the escalators towards Crufts blasters drawn!

I find it annoying and mystifying in equal measure. Where can we find these people and what shall we do to them...

Like I said, don't give them any though at all. They feel they have their reasons to dislike JMS and it's become somewhat of an obsession for some of them.

The fuss with SFX magazine stems from their apparent association with a con organizer who was deeply suspected of diverting funds meant for charity plus SFX's penchant for getting facts wrong which led JMS to stop providing them with promotional materials which upset them...etc.

Jan

Ignore 'em and they die off. That's the worst thing you can do to them. ;)

I was over at JMSnews.com when I came across this post by Shabaz, who I think also posts here, so sorry for stealing your post. Here is the relevant part:

I was browsing the Mongoose forum, and a newspost by head honcho Matthew Sprange caught my eye. To quote the pertinent part:

Babylon 5 Novels
There has been a lot of talk about the forthcoming range of Babylon 5 novels. However, I can now reveal that we have been engaged in talks with Mr Straczynski, and the entire range will now be approved by him – right down to every word, comma and technical detail. We will be launching with a Rangers series and a trilogy covering the activities of Susan Ivanova beyond season four, with the first books appearing in November, ready for the release of the Lost Tales DVD in the UK. We are hoping to reach an agreement for distribution into the US the following year.

I know it's about the books, but it's the last two sentences that are relevant to the Lost Tales (at least for us in the UK). Looks like we won't get the DVDs till November. I am reading this right aren't I?

Sadly, the newsgroup is kind of down right now -- if it wasn't, I'd post this to see what JMS has to say about it, particularly after the last go-round with what Mongoose was declaring.

Aaah yeah, I meant to make some mention of the previous situation with Mongoose to suggest that this wasn't definite information.

I was over at JMSnews.com when I came across this post by Shabaz, who I think also posts here, so sorry for stealing your post.
Yeah, I do. :) And I don't mind.

I suppose "ready for the release" of TLT in the UK implies that the region 2 DVD will be released after it pretty strongly. But the way it's worded is ambiguous enough for it to still mean just that November '07 happens to be a moment that they can capitalize on TLT, maybe because TLT is out already, maybe because it is close to release. I dunno, I wouldn't read too much into Sprange's exact wording there; I'm not sure WB UK even knows the exact release date at this moment.

That post by Matthew Sprange was back in August. I think he may have been thinking that the first book would come out this last month but I doubt if he realized that JMS would be embroiled with shooting TLT right then.

The last I heard, the books are now scheduled for spring. I haven't seen anything from JMS about it, though.

Jan

I'm not sure WB UK even knows the exact release date at this moment.

I seriously doubt that Warner Bros. in Burbank has any firm idea when the first disc will be released. They just started post-production and they're probably going to shop it to television once the film is finished - which in turn could affect the DVD release dates. (Any TV partner who buys the film will probably want to make sure it airs before the DVDs go on sale.)

That post by Matthew Sprange was back in August.

The one with the comment about the November UK DVD release is dated November 28, 2006, so apparenlty this refers to next year.

I remain skeptical about anything coming out of Mongoose at this point. I'd love to see JMS's take on all of this. Heck of at time for Jay and Cheryl to forget to pay the internet bill. ;)

Regards,

Joe

Whilst sharing Joe's skepticism, surely Matthew Sprange would not dare to say that stuff out loud if it wasn't true. This goes way beyond what he said before ... and look at the furore that created.

Watching the space with slightly more interest than before ...

On a wider point, it strikes me that there is sufficient interest among the B5 fans for it to be worthwhile for Mongoose to get an agreement with JMS - the customer base for their novels would likely increase significantly.

I really, really hope it's true this time that the novels will have JMS' blessing. It was so disappointing when this blew up before, and we found out JMS wasn't on board, after we had been led to believe he was. More B5 books would be icing on the cake, especially since it is our only way to get new G'Kar and Dr. Franklin stuff. We still have Lyta's and G'Kar's travels, the Telepath War, the Crusade storyline, all interconnecting with them at certain points, as well Catherine Sakai being "found", which are all stories I would love to see/hear told. Susan's S5 (and beyond) trilogy could be quite entertaining as well, if JMS is on board with it. I enjoyed the short story about her hybrid cruiser.

Whilst sharing Joe's skepticism, surely Matthew Sprange would not dare to say that stuff out loud if it wasn't true. This goes way beyond what he said before ... and look at the furore that created.

Watching the space with slightly more interest than before ...

On a wider point, it strikes me that there is sufficient interest among the B5 fans for it to be worthwhile for Mongoose to get an agreement with JMS - the customer base for their novels would likely increase significantly.

Ummm, yeah. He means well, but has a tendancy to jump the gun. I hope for his sake this is legit. let's wait for JMS to confirm it.

Mongoose have invested a lot of time and energy into the B5 IP with their strong RPG and wargaming line in the UK. JMS being invovled would lend them the right degree of canonicity which their products arguably deserve. I would also love some more novels, especially canon ones!

Its been such a shame to see Matt S. put his foot in it with JMS time and time again, I hope for the sake of him and his company that this is not one of those times...

This was the other product mentioned alongside the novels:

The Anla’Shok Archives
If you cannot wait for officially approved novels, how about an officially approved encyclopaedia series? The Anla’Shok Archives will feature a comprehensive coverage of the Babylon 5 universe, from the Earth-Minbari War to the innermost workings of the Kha’Ri. Each volume will come with an original print from the very best of Babylon 5 artists, and anyone who collects them all will receive, free of charge, a replica of Valen’s Denn’Bok, as presented to him after the Shadow War one thousand years before the main Babylon 5 timeline. This is an extremely high quality collector’s item, only available to those who make a thorough study of the Anla’Shok Archives – it will not be available anywhere else.

Post on Mongoose forums...

If that is canon and approved, it would be too cool. :beer:

In case anyone was wondering, the listing by IMDB of Atmosphere for TLT we discussed earlier in this thread is accurate. I decided to just ask one of the people listed by IMDB, and send an e-mail to Alec McClymont. He was helpful enough to confirm for me that they're indeed working on B5.

I think they're an excellent fit for TLT's needs, and their work seems to be of a pretty consistent high quality, so I say this is good news. I'm happy, at least. :)

In case you didn't watch it yet, go to their website and give their demo reel a watch. If it doesn't load for you, which was the case for me, try this direct link (right click, save as... for a 21mb quicktime video).

Yeah, but I bet the denn'bok doesn't actually work. Bastards!

Don't feel bad. I've had the same problem with every phaser and lightsaber I've ever bought. Which, in retrospect, might have been a good thing for various classmates, co-workers, fellow drivers and people in front of me in line at the grocery store, bank or pharamacy. :D

Joe

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back