• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

The advantage of no more B5

Re: The advantage of no more B5 (answer to Recoil)

I don't hate them, Recoil. The middle of that post of mine was an irrational but necessary letting off of steam, before I calmed down and expressed how proud I was of us. The third paragraph and final comment was the bit I really meant. It just gets frustrating sometimes, being trodden on. So, with all sincerity,

FAITH MANAGES

We all need to let off steam. I understand B5obsessive. I understand your frustration.

But I gotta say that I just have a little problem with the title of this thread. No more B5? :confused: (I need a crying emoticon.)

Well, if you have the show on tape or DVD there's always B5....whenever you want it. ;)

Now that TMOS is offifically dead from JMS, I'd just like to echo GKE's words (who still looks fucked up with his new avatar BTW).

As much as I would have liked to see this movie, I dont want it just done to be done no matter who is in it or who is calling the shots. It has to be done right, and with the original characters/actors. It seems like JMS knows what he wants to do, and will keep trying.

That being said, I really have my doubts on if another opportunity will come up again. I think this was their window with the DVD sales boosting interest and all. Not sure when the opportunity will come again if ever. But as GKE said, thats OK. We have a nice complete story in B5 and thats just fine with me.

Id like to see how Crusade would have gone...but I dont think we will get that chance unless JMS decides to get involved in some novels or something. But as far as the movie front goes, I think that this was probably the best an only shot, and Im glad we didnt get anything, instead of getting something that wouldnt have lived up to the high standards B5 has.

Recoil and all of you...you have to all realize one thing and please, take this to heart because it's the god's honest truth...or the universe's honest truth for anyone who doesn't want god involved:

Nothing is Hollywood is dead...ever.

B5 will have another chance, most likely several. It took ten years to get ST:TMP done and several incarnations. The same can be said of most of the greatest films ever made....from APOCAYLPSE NOW to CITIZEN KANE. Even Peter Jackson took many attempts and went through a lot of studios before he finally got LOTR done.

Just because this attempt failed, doesn't mean it will never happen.

We lost a battle, not the war. As JMS has said, everything B5 has always involved a herculian effort to get made...it has always paid off in the end for me. It is actually that effort that helps make great films great, and B5 as great as it is...because it is and becomes a labor, a labor of love.

CE

CE, sure it's possible. The thought behind this thread for me is looking at that bright side IF there were no more B5.

CE, sure it's possible. The thought behind this thread for me is looking at that bright side IF there were no more B5.

But the failing is that you proceed from a false assumption...there will, by Hollywood standards alone, be more B5...someday.

Nothing is dead in Hollywood.

CE

I have to believe there will be more babylon 5 someday .Nothing is dead Even B5 so of you may or may not know that Mongoose publishing is producing a line of books designed for a game .I love they are informative and a great read too.So nothing is dead .

B5 will have another chance, most likely several. It took ten years to get ST:TMP done and several incarnations. The same can be said of most of the greatest films ever made....from APOCAYLPSE NOW to CITIZEN KANE.

The problem is though, many of the B5 cast are already late into middle age, I believe most if not all are over 50. If a b5 movie isn't made for another 5 or 10 years, how attractive are a group of 50/60 year olds going to be to financiers?

Not very, I would hazzard a guess.

If a b5 movie is hard to get of the ground now, with the little bit of momentum from the DVD sales, how hard is it going to be a bit further down the road without this little bit of wind in it's sails?

For the B5 movie that we all want i.e one with a large number of original cast numbers, the window must be small and closing....

Personally I would rather have a number of modestly budgeted straight to DVD movies, than chasing this proverbial pot at the end of the rainbow.

kind regards,

les

The problem is though, many of the B5 cast are already late into middle age, I believe most if not all are over 50. If a b5 movie isn't made for another 5 or 10 years, how attractive are a group of 50/60 year olds going to be to financiers?

Maybe they could do an old-people B5 spinoff. Like maybe, "Grumpy old Vorlons," or, "Tuesdays with Lennier," or, "On Purple Pond."

Instead of Babylon 5 they can do Cocoon 3. :)

Hey, guys. Sean Connery was still getting the girl (and what a girl, Catherine Zeta-Jones) at age 69. Michael Douglas is gearing up to do his second sequel to Romancing the Stone. (Jay Leno quipped that given Douglas's age the film will be called, Passing the Stone.)

Boxleitner and Mira Furlan are probably the oldest of the bunch, each turns 55 this year. JMS turned 50 last year, and I think Jerry Doyle does this year. Claudia's the baby of the group - she was born in 1965 and doesn't even turn 40 until August. None of these people is exactly headed for the nursing home, whatever some of our younger members may think. :) I think there plenty of stories to be told in the years between "Objects at Rest" and "Sleeping in Light", and given that people don't change as much between about 45 and 60 as they do between 18 and 30 (especially in Hollywood, where hair lighting and makeup can take care of anything that surgery missed) this cast could play any number of them in the next few years.

And, as Hollywood finds out every few years when it produces a genuine blockbuster, week-in-week out theater ticket sales may be driven by pimply-faced teen-agers, but really successful films attract grown-ups, as well as teens and even children. PG and PG-13 films outgross R-rated pictures, and movies with adult characters have a broader appeal than teen angst fest, crude comedies or dead teenager movies. That's because both children and teenagers like to see movies about the kind of people they might grow up to be. Assuming that young people can only identify with other young people sells them short as a group - and it runs counter to what we all remember of being young ourselves. That's why all those teen sidekicks in the comic books never made any sense. No eight year old wanted to go out and play "Robin", they all wanted to be "Batman". :)

Regards,

Joe

Sean Connery was still getting the girl (and what a girl, Catherine Zeta-Jones) at age 69.

Yeah... and it creeped me the fuck out! Ugh. And that movie sucked.
Ok, ok, except the laser scene.

I also think the last few Trek movies with the original cast was kind of silly having the old farts hop around space like that.

So yeah, they can do whatever they want, but I just hope it wouldn't look silly.

They actors' ages are appropriate for a story that takes placea few years before Sleeping in Light, like the events of the Centauri Trilogy. But given the time frame of the stories JMS was trying to tell with Crusade, Legend of the Rangers and seemingly TMOS, our actors are starting to get a bit up there.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back