• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Not another Crusade

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I dont like the idea of a show centering around a person in charge of a ship. That's why I hated Crusade. It was too much like Star Trek for my taste. If the new series only takes about 2 or 3 years after B5 left off, then they shouldnt have any new ships. They should only have Victory class cruisers and Whitestars. They may possibly have developed the Bluestar by then.

------------------
All your base are belong to us.

I think you're limiting your choices too much when you arbitrarily decide that a whole class of shows is not worth your time. Crusade was nothing like Star Trek because the ground-rules under which it operated and the universe it was exploring were nothing like those of the Trek shows. It's a bit like saying, "I don't like war films because they're all like Sands of Iwo Jima, and I hate that John Wayne crap." I'm sure that would come as news to the folks responsible for Patton, Paths of Glory and Saving Private Ryan.

But if that's your prejudice, and that was enough to make you "hate" Crusade, all I can say is, "Your loss."

As for the types of ships they "should" have in Rangers: They shouldn't have Victory-class destroyers, because the prototypes won't be finished until two years after To Live and Die in Starlight. But there is no reason the IA couldn't have developed other classes of ships in the interim.

In 2262, before the climax of the Centauri crisis, Sheridan tells Delenn that they've been using the White Stars to fill too many roles. They need additional classes of ships. Because the Minbari bore all the costs of developing and building the White Star-class, Sheridan suggests that Humans build the destroyer class based on Minbari technical data. In exchange for paying for the ships the Humans will get a lot of technical know-how and, persumably, some of the new ships for their own use.

After the attack on Centauri Prime the Minbari may decide to bite the financial bullet and develop one or more additional classes of warship, scouts or cruisers, for instance, while the Humans are building the new destroyers. One of the reasons that Victory and Excalibur take so long to build is that the Humans have to reverse-engineer some of the Minbari and Vorlon technology in order to manufacture comparable materials and components, and adapt some of the systems to Human tastes and abilities. The Minbari, having already built the orignal White Stars would not have to do the same, so they could presumably develop new ships faster than the Humans.

One or more new classes of ships for the Rangers, developed from the basic White Star technology, could easily be built by the Minbari in three years or so - especially since it is unlikely that they shut down their R&D efforts just because they had one class of ships in production. If contemporary military aircraft and warship production is any guide, there were probably several variants of the White Star design built during the Shadow War and after, each a slight improvement on the previous version, as crews gained experience with the ships and reported problems.

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

"Blue Star" is a nickname applied to the small, personal "White Star" that Sheridan has in "Sleeping in Light." I don't where the name originated, or if it is considered canon. Since the tiny "Blue Star" is capable of forming its own jump point, something that was considered remarkable for the much larger White Star, I seriously doubt the Alliance has built the first Blue Star as early as 2265. So I don't think we'll be seeing them in Rangers.

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

It's natural that a show about a military environment that you're going to have a captain. Crusade didn't really focus on Gideon any more than Babylon 5 focused on Sheridan - both are very much group oriented shows. You have a captain character, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the focus would have always been on that character. Had Crusade survived you would have had more episodes dealing with the other characters and more of the whole universe. I wouldn't judge the series as it would have been based on the 13 produced episodes.

------------------
WombatControl
http://www.flarn.com/wombatcontrol/
"Who let the spoo out? Sigh sigh sigh sigh sigh..."

Maybe I'm wrong, but I got the impression that the Rangers will be dealing with problems on different worlds in the Alliance. They obviously have to get around in a starship but that doesn't mean all the action will take place on board a la Voyager. If Crusade had gone on we would have seen something completely different by the end of year I and I'm confident JMS will not let us down on LotR.

------------------

I agree that if the show had gone on we would have seen more shows dealing with other cast members, with the attention shifting from Gideon. Crusade had two captains anyway. How many shows have that? Lochley didn't get a chance to do much because it was cancelled so early on. I'm sure that had the show continued others would have been in the spotlight.

------------------
You name it, sooner or later, everyone comes to Babylon 5.
-Commander Jeffrey David Sinclair, The Gathering

I think the term "aborted" is more appropriate, as Crusade got canned before it even hit the airwaves.

As for ships, I was surprised by the news that they were going to have an all-new ship. After all, all they've had have been White Stars, with the Victory Class Destroyers debuting a few years after Rangers premieres.

The theory above, though, may work. Namely the Minbari working on new classes of ships while the humans work on the destroyers. That would explain why there are apparently at least 2 other types of ships besides the regular White Star. Namely the Valen (Which the lead character David described as a box with engines) and the ship captained by the self-same lead character. We'll see. The explanation as to why there's anything other than your average White Star will no doubt be good, so no worries.

------------------

Joseph DeMartino, how long have you been on these boards? I've known of you for a long time from the SciFi.com boards. I'd just like to say it's good to see you on these boards and they we are all going to benefit greatly because of your presence here.

------------------
Yeah, that'd be greeeat. --Bill Lumbergh

Ranger One:

Aw, shucks, now I'm blushing.
wink.gif

I dunno, I think I registered a couple of weeks ago, not long after I followed a link from another site to get news on the upcoming movie. You know me, never can pass up a chance to talk about B5.
smile.gif

Thanks for the welcome.

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

Hello everybody-
I'm new to these boards (as seen in my rank-- nice touch by the way) and had a question based on something in this topic. Someone said the Rangers wouldn't have access to the Victory-Class ships in 2265. Doesn't Crusade take place in 2265? That would mean the Rangers do have access to the Excalibur then, right? Or am I missing something?

------------------

Actually, "A Call to Arms" and "Crusade" take place in 2267, and had the series gone on to its conclusion, it would have ended in 2271. As you can tell--assuming a five-year linear arc for "B5: Legend of the Rangers"--the two series will overlap by about three years. To say the least, this is going to allow JMS the opportunity at long last to pay off a *plethora* of story-threads set up during the initial thirteen produced episodes, including the Drakh plague cure resolution and suchlike.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Leto II (edited April 25, 2001).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Campe79:
Hello everybody-
I'm new to these boards (as seen in my rank-- nice touch by the way) and had a question based on something in this topic.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Heya Welcome Campe79.

Questions are good let the discussions roll
smile.gif

------------------
Deviot
Lincbot@yahoo.com.au

Not to disagree here...but I'm going to disagree. My favorite part of Crusade was Gideon's character. Matheson's character was practically absent, Eilerson was made to look like a jerk (although I get the feeling that would've changed), the doctor was too timid, Dureena was practically 2-dimensional (hatred of the Drakh/Shadows, thief) and Galen's character was larger than life (he dominated any episode he was in). Gideon was the only character that it was even possible for me to identify with. His character made the show, and his character is only possible if he's in charge of the ship. Put him on a station and he's nothing...but give him a ship and a star to steer her by...Ok, maybe that was too poetic. But after many years of timid Star Trek starship captains (cough, anyone but Kirk, cough) it was nice to see JMS take on the genre and create a character who truly filled the niche.

------------------
Understanding is a three-edged sword.

I have never been what you would call a big trek fan, but i can sit down and watch it once in a while. I do not think it is fair to compare Crusade to anything trek related because they are 2 different enviroments all together. The idea behind Crusade was a good one, it was just the idiots at TNT that screwed it up for all of us, and Gideon is one of the best characters in the B5 universe, he is the only one that is fit to be in charge of the Excalibur.

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Zoriah:
Timid??? Have we been watching the same trek?
wink.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't mean to offend anyone, it's all just my opinion -- but I really admired the gusto that Gideon's character portrayed. I'm sure it's a mix between JMS's great writing and Gary Cole's acting -- but whatever it was, it worked for me. I don't want this to become about Trek captains but I never liked Janeway and Picard always seemed...a little less than authoritative (I never really got into DS9 so I won't comment on that). It was refreshing to see a starship captain on TV like Gideon who didn't act like they were apologizing for the position.

------------------
Understanding is a three-edged sword.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ranger One:
Joseph DeMartino, how long have you been on these boards? I've known of you for a long time from the SciFi.com boards. I'd just like to say it's good to see you on these boards and they we are all going to benefit greatly because of your presence here.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am going to pop in and agree here Joseph DeMartino is a great addition to this place.
He has his opinions and gives them well.

And he seems to have a wealth of infomation.

Hey Joseph DeMartino do you have like some sort of super memory or somthing?

------------------
Deviot
Lincbot@yahoo.com.au

Back