• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Spoilers~~The great machine vs. the eye

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black> shadows altered humans into technomages..but the tech's were volunteers..and the vorlons altered humans into telepaths which weren't volunteers. so, i would think that the shadows MADE technomages to be THE EYE. say have like a good choice to chose from. </font></td></tr></table>

------------------
This is my "be nice to Antony week"...WARNING~~MOOD SWING MAY HAPPEN WEEK AFTER NEXT...depending on the astrological projection of the hormonal balance.

I think a better explanation would be

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black> something similar to the Mental Block Bester put in Garibaldi's mind to prevent him from killing Bester.
He can Want to do it.
He can even aim the gun.
He just isn't permitted to pull the trigger.

The Shadows control Everything.
Even Morden had a shadow controller in his head.
It didn't Force him to do things.
It was more subtle. It just made him Happy when he did what the Shadows wanted or did something he knew would Benefit them.

The ultimate brainwashing device.
A chip that makes a Slave Happy and Eager to continue being a Slave.
</font></td></tr></table>

------------------
The 3 most common elements in the Universe:
Hydrogen, Greed, Stupidity!

As for the "Eye controls Shadow forces..."

I always had the impression it was not so much controlling the ships, but sending them their orders - as part of it's function as the Shadows "great machine", it controls Z'ha'dum's defensive systems, various internal stuff and the main communications...

And as for "Eye active after Galen"

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black>Remember - a long time ago the Shadows themselves had to serve as controllers for their ships and other big installations - in ancient times when there were no younger races to use instead. They probably did it in a way similar to Galen's temporary joining with that ShadowShip, as partners instaed of slaves.
So there would be nothing to stop one of them to step in and personally assume control of the Eye (at least until they can prepare another suitable slave - though in this instance they probably went beyond the rim before that happened...)</font></td></tr></table>

And finally as for "Shadows & Order"

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black>Invoking Darkness p.327: It is only at the meeting of knowledge and ignorance, of light and dark that new understanding may be found: in the shadow. Say "meeting of order and chaos" instead and you have the true philosophy of the Shadows - the way they lost in their struggle against the Vorlons. Not only order, because it prevents innovation; not only chaos, because it destroys as much as it creates. The truth lies in between...</font></td></tr></table>

------------------
"ShadowScout"
Roman Alexander

"Go on, watch out for Shadows - we'll watch you right back!"

What do you want?
ShadowShips!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bakana:
I think a better explanation would be

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black> The ultimate brainwashing device.
A chip that makes a Slave Happy and Eager to continue being a Slave.
</font></td></tr></table>

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We have something like that in our universe, too. It's called "A Paycheck".
laugh.gif

------------------
"Now, get the hell out of our galaxy, ya dad-gum kids! You keep tracking dirt on my planet. And if I see your dog again..."

In the book

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black>It said that the EYE and the tech were slaves and when Galen freed the EYE, this straight from the book- It sacraficed itself to end the tech's slavery here.So you can say that the tech could be part sentient but had a hardcoded program running it until Galen stopped the program</font></td></tr></table>

------------------
"When it is time, come to this place, call our name, we will be here" -Walkers of Sigma957

spell();

Parameter required.

This spell has executed an illegal instruction and will be shut down. Restart your Shadows 98 and read the damn manual before trying to operate the Eye!
laugh.gif

Do you think it was upgrading from Shadows 98 to Shadows ME that crashed the Eye?
crazy.gif
laugh.gif

------------------
"What's up, Drakh?"

Michael Garibaldi

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> upgrading from Shadows 98 to Shadows ME <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's not an upgrade.
Shadows ME is a crippled version of Shadows 98.
They disabled several functions of Shadows 98 to create Shadows ME.
Wierdly enough, the end result was to make Shadows ME much Larger than Shadows 98, even though it did LESS.

Unless you count Crashing more often.
I had Shadows ME on my computer for about a year.
It eventually comitted Suicide.
I was totally unable to revive it, so I installed Linux.

------------------
The 3 most common elements in the Universe:
Hydrogen, Greed, Stupidity!

Back