• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

how did delenn make it rain

sassy

Regular
how did delenn make it rain after sheriden said How he loves to sleep when it rains. how does delenn knows what rain sounds like?

how can she just SPEAK the words and poof it makes rain noises?

------------------
I am on the SHORT LIST OF the people G'kar's Eye can count on to give him hell. Is that a GOOD THING????

How 'bout voice activated Minbari mood stimulating enviro-sounds. Sure beats the hell out of Burt Lancaster beating a drum in The Rainmaker to make rain!!!

------------------
"...abso-FRAGGIN-lutely, damn it! I have been studying your use of lauguage since our last discussion. Do you approve?"

They no doubt have rain on Minbar and Delenn has studied human language and the computer most probably does have enviro sounds for those long trips
smile.gif

------------------
"When it is time, come to this place, call our name, we will be here" -Walkers of Sigma957

Well, they are Minbari and we all know how deeply spiritual they are. Meditation is an intrigual part of any spiritual activity. Even praying is a certain kind of medittion. And since Minbari don't listen to Pop and Rock, they use sounds which are soothing during meditation. So needless to say the sound of rain is probably relaxing for Minbari and hence, programmed into the computer. They might even have wind blowing or waves in the sea.

Plus they are Minbari. They're technology is darn superior for that time. Making rain sounds is probably something they can do even if they haven't done it before.

------------------
May the light of the Buddha, Dhamma and Sangha protect you.

May you all be well and happy, free from suffering, free from sickness.

The brevity of Delenn's instructions to the computer would indicate that creating relaxing background sounds is a normal part of the programming for the sleep chamber.

Why should it surprise anyone that the Minbari like to have a good sound system in their bedrooms?
What do you suppose the price of good Minbari Jazz & Blues albums runs to??
cool.gif
cool.gif
cool.gif
cool.gif

------------------
The 3 most common elements in the Universe:
Hydrogen, Greed, Stupidity!

Humans fall asleep to sound making machines, ones that make nature noises or radios with whatever. It isn't impossible tp think that the Minbari do the same. And since they have much better tech than a clock/radio, they could use voice commands to make it work.
smile.gif

------------------
Oh, School and Mundanes Suck.

PK's UBB Board
Psi-Corps EZBoard

so, in other words...ya'll don't know either? bummer.

------------------
I am on the SHORT LIST OF the people G'kar's Eye can count on to give him hell. Is that a GOOD THING????

So the Whitestars come with a sound effects library. What is odd about that? In current times, quite a few people have a sound effects record in their record collection, particularly in Hollywood. I doubt rain on Minbar sound any different from rain on Earth.

------------------
Andrew Swallow

I can't shake the feeling that Sassy's main question was simply, "How did Delenn know what rain sounded like"?

Rain isn't going to be something that's specifically an earth thing. Clouds are everywhere, and there's a whole lotta water out there. Rain is just a natural progression of the environment.

Speaking of the environment, I was looking at those white noise generators at one point because of insomnia problems. You were guaranteed to find two things: a river, and rain, in just about every single one that wasn't just "static" (if that makes sense.) It's an easily recorded sound which can be easily repeated without being too obviously repeated (or so they think.) Naturally, my already annoying mind quickly caught the patterns, and the white noise generator we bought started keeping me awake worse.

Long story short: Sheridan had the nicest, simplest request possible in my opinion. It could have been something that Delenn WOULDN'T have had any reference to. "I remember when I used to go to bed to the sound of ducks quacking in annoyance after Dad used to start up his antique Model T Ford..."

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>"I remember when I used to go to bed to the sound of ducks quacking in annoyance after Dad used to start up his antique Model T Ford..."<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

lol
laugh.gif

You know, they have those silly creatures on Earth that go "quack". Cats, unless I am mistaken.

------------------
"We are the universe, trying to figure itself out.
Unfortunately we as software lack any coherent documentation."
-- Delenn

thats a good point..but why diddn't delenn know what BUTT meant?

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> "Why is it, every time you finally get things calmed down and everything is going great, life decides to .. kick you in the butt."

"But what?"

"What?"

"You said that life decides to kick you, but?"

"No, no. It's a .. it's a part of the body. It's a .. Oh, you have the damnest gaps in your vocabulary."

"Preparing to come here, I was not taught the more .. colorful aspects of your language. It was considered inappropriate for one of the religious caste."

"You're missing out on a lot."

"So I gather. Butt. Butt. I butt, you butt, he or she butts."

"No. No, it's--"

"Butt butt. Butt butt?"

"You sound like a motor boat."

"Motor-butt? I don't think I like the sound of that."

"Well, I don't blame you. I'm against the whole idea."

"Then we are in agreement."

"Abso-fraggin'-lutely."

"Well, there you see."

"What?"

"Something's gone your way today. It's the way the universe works. Wait just a little while, and the wheel turns."

Sheridan and Delenn in Babylon 5:"Divided Loyalties" <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It happens. I took a course in Japanese a few years ago.
In response to a question, Sensei refused to even Admit that there Are any "curse words" in Japanese.

Sorta true. Such insults as "Fnck You!" don't translate.
In Japanese, you insult somone by being Rude to them instead of by calling them names or telling them to perform sexually improbable actions.
The simple act of being Impolite is very insulting. "Fnck You!", unless said Impolitely, is just an offer, not insulting in itself.

Now, one of these days, we've got to get JMS to explain how to insult someong in Minbari.

Other than by calling them a Liar, that is.
tongue.gif
laugh.gif

------------------
The 3 most common elements in the Universe:
Hydrogen, Greed, Stupidity!

well, just zog it then.

------------------

I would suspect that the Minbari do have some quite colorful curses. They just use them rarely and guard the best words very carefully.
wink.gif

But there is always a way to insult someone without using any curses. Tell a religious-caste that the flarn he/she prepared is worse than Sheridan's.
shocked.gif

Lack of knowledge and understanding is considered a great dishonour among the religious caste. The warrior caste would also be insulted by a mockery of their skills or determination. But telling someone to Zog themselves may simply produce confusion.

[This message has been edited by Lennier (edited December 01, 2001).]

wink.gif
..Okay - I will say it, wet is a universal female thing...
smile.gif

Gary

------------------

Latest posts

Members online

Back