• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

New BattleStar Galactica

I respect most all opinions, but I have my standards and I wont deviate from them for conformity's sake.

I don't like the original Galactica, I think that it ia a farcical cartoonish program; but it did have some quality talented actors.
Lorne Green (Adama)
John Collicos (Baltar)
Patrick McNee (Count Iblis)
Jane Seymore (Serina)
Anne Lockhart (Sheba)
Jonathon Harris (Lucifer)
Ray Milland (Sire Uri)
Edward Mulhare (John "Angelic Leader")
Terry Carter (Colonel Tighe)

Granted these actors and actress didn't always do the best job, but they did a sight better job that the cast of the new version have done.

Edwards James Olmos (Adama)
Mary McConnell (President)
Donnelly Rhodes (Doctor Cottle)
Mark Sheppard (Lampkin)
Dean Stockwell (Brother Cavil)

These actors and actress can act and have proven it in other works, yet in the NBSG, why do they do such a poor job? Is it the writting, the direction?

Donnelly Rhodes is the only character on the show that has given a consistant performance through out regardless of the writer or director, you'll notice that I only refer to Cottle as "MollyCottle" because of the things that he does and gets away with it because he is one of the only real doctors in the convoy.

The plot is terrible, the concept is nonexistant, the story arcs are muddled, the continuty is non existant, the writing is talentless, the direction is haphazard at best, amatuerish in most cases.

Oh and yes I do have some deepseated pathologies.

Tell me why you like the program, I keep watching hoping beyond hope that it'll get better.

Write a reveiw of the episodes pointing out the grandness, if it is possible.

James

So, what is this now, the BSG forum? 3 threads on the show...

Anyway, these kinds of discussions never go anywhere good. "I don't like this, tell me why I should." Think about that- why are you asking people to argue taste? I've survived enough music forums to understand the utter futility of this sort of thing.

It's a TV show. No one's gonna hate you for not digging it.

Why do I like BSG? They fly around, sometimes shoot stuff, some of the girls are pretty, and it's in space, and there's some sort of mystery I barely care about. Sure beats housework.

So, what is this now, the BSG forum? 3 threads on the show...

Anyway, these kinds of discussions never go anywhere good. "I don't like this, tell me why I should." Think about that- why are you asking people to argue taste? I've survived enough music forums to understand the utter futility of this sort of thing.

It's a TV show. No one's gonna hate you for not digging it.

Why do I like BSG? They fly around, sometimes shoot stuff, some of the girls are pretty, and it's in space, and there's some sort of mystery I barely care about. Sure beats housework.

I'll sign my name to that.

i'll second that second. also the oration is pretty impressive, some of it even sends shivers down my spine.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, epecially on a TV show that is completely interpretive. What you seem to be missing is that people aren't taking you to task for not liking BSG or for thinking it's crap, but for the way you have presented this viewpoint. You have managed to present your views in both a childish and elitist way all at the same time, lines like, "The only people that like the new and "improved" "G.I.N.O." are those that have rarely or never seen quality film making or storytelling. Trying to compare B5 to GINO is just assinine." are the reason why you were rightly taken to task. That isn't your opinion of the show, that isn't why you think it is bad, but rather that is a judgment statement about why other people might like it, and it really has no place in any discussion.

What's G.I.N.O.?

Look I'm not taking anyone to task for anything- I'm just sayin', I've seen this kind of thing go down.
The idea of trying to understand why other people have different viewpoints is a noble and worthy effort- but for more serious endeavors. Swing by the politics forum, ask me why the "war on drugs" is a lie or something, and I'll be more than happy to explain so that we can come to some mutual understanding. But a T.V. show? Man, in the end- they're all pretty f'n stupid, really.

Let's start a "please explain why you like Grey's Anatomy" thread, because I had to sit through half-an-hour of that putridity once, and I still am mad at that chick...

My comment about people taking him to task wasn't about this thread, but the other BSG thread that caused him to create this one.

I can't really agree with the whole, "TV, in the end is just really stupid" mentality. It's an interpretive art fiorm and is no different from painting, opera, etc. There are moments of greatness, there moments of crap. It can be mindless fun, mindless drivel, philosophically questioning and the height of pretentiousness. In the end it is all in the eye of the beholder and what you as the viewer decide to make of it.

Thanks, VL. I'm usually pretty good at guessing acronyms, but my sick brain kept adding "cologist" at the end of it.

My comment about people taking him to task wasn't about this thread, but the other BSG thread that caused him to create this one.

I can't really agree with the whole, "TV, in the end is just really stupid" mentality. It's an interpretive art fiorm and is no different from painting, opera, etc. There are moments of greatness, there moments of crap. It can be mindless fun, mindless drivel, philosophically questioning and the height of pretentiousness. In the end it is all in the eye of the beholder and what you as the viewer decide to make of it.

T.V. is different because they have to put commercials in the middle. This pretty much already kills a real narrative. That's why the few shows that are good despite this are... well, so few. And why HBO has so much better stuff (and they can curse and show boobs).

T.V. is different because they have to put commercials in the middle. This pretty much already kills a real narrative. That's why the few shows that are good despite this are... well, so few. And why HBO has so much better stuff (and they can curse and show boobs).

I see it differently, the breaks allow for the build of tension, no different than a chapter break in a book actually.

Yeah, that's the first time I saw G.I.N.O. as well. I had to scratch my head a bit. I think we all have different opinions. For example, after I saw "A Scanner Darkly," I told my friends I thought it was a piece of poop and they kept telling me that I "wasn't GETTING IT." Yeah, I did "GET IT" I just thought it sucked. Those who did enjoy it are absolutely intelligent people, we just have different taste in that which doth suck and that which doth not. (Shakespearean stance)

It's a pet peeve of mine when someone claims that we're missing something in life if we don't see some show or movie. You know what- no we're not. Really.
The only time I sort of judge people based on entertainment taste is when they seriously love crap emotionally. Like crying at some f'n preachy, bland hack romantic comedy, or thinking the Matrix is some sort of serious life-altering philosophy.

I am not an elitest or childish by a lot shot, I come across as rough and unpretentious and I state the facts as I see them and I am both reviled by some and praised by others for that character trait.

I am a Native American (Cherokee)/caucasian half breed that worked his ass off and made a success out of myself instead of wallowing in self pity and alcohol like a lot of the tribe are fond of doing.

Now if doing that is "elitist", then I'm guilty.

Speaking of "Grey's Anatamy" I have only seen about 5 minutes of one episode and from that I can't say much about it other than it had a lot of nice EYE CANDY.

There is a good amount of BattleStar Galactica threads here and I read a portion of them and they were decidedly pro and I wanted to give a counter point to that. really, what does quality have to do with "Elitism", is Discount quality the masses standard? I really don't get that one. please enlighten me.

james

The question of your attitude isn't to do with whether or not you like BSG, but your earlier implication that only those who have never watched quality television, and wouldn't know decent writing from a dead possum (I paraphrase) could possibly find anything of value in it.

That is always going to put the noses of other people out of joint, because you are essentially taking a subjective viewpoint and declaring it as objective and challenging others to prove that you are wrong.

Moreover, since we are all sharing this discussion on a B5 board that viewpoint is clearly in error.

Bottom line?

You don't dig new BSG ... we get it. You have explained why you don't dig it (although you still seem to feel your opinion should be taken as objective truth in your over the top critiques of the writers and actors) ... we get that too.

I will defend to my last breath your right to hate something that others love and to express that rationally and reasonably, but you appear to be attempting to cheapen the opinions of others who disagree with you and love new BSG by implying that they are stupid and lacking in judgement, and that isn't really on.

On top of that, it moves the debate away from the reasons why some love and some hate BSG and onto the manner of the debate, which is always an unhealthy place to be. Sometimes it can be fun, but it is always unhealthy in the end.

I am not an elitest or childish by a lot shot, I come across as rough and unpretentious and I state the facts as I see them and I am both reviled by some and praised by others for that character trait.

Except ya know, your grandiose hyperbolic statement was not a fact in any way.

I am a Native American (Cherokee)/caucasian half breed that worked his ass off and made a success out of myself instead of wallowing in self pity and alcohol like a lot of the tribe are fond of doing.

Now if doing that is "elitist", then I'm guilty.

Wow, really pathetic attempt at sidestepping the entire issue by bringing up your heritage, something that has not a thing to do with the argument at hand. No one cares what your background is, or what supposed hardships you faced. We all deal with stuff in our lives, and ya know what, no one cares. Especially when you are using your supposed hardships as a way of avoiding the actual heart of the issue here. And that is your stating a subjective statement as fact, and presenting your opi9nions like a boorish 2 year old.

There is a good amount of BattleStar Galactica threads here and I read a portion of them and they were decidedly pro and I wanted to give a counter point to that. really, what does quality have to do with "Elitism", is Discount quality the masses standard? I really don't get that one. please enlighten me.

If you would have given an actual counter point instead of peppering your counter point with generalizations about the people that like BSG as opposed to the content of BSG itself then this whole discussion wouldn't be happening. But, no, you decided right off the bat to attack the people that like BSG as opposed to actually giving your reasons for why BSG isn't good. You still don't appear to get it, and I doubt youy will based on the fact that you refuse to actually acknowledge the difference between "BSG isn't good because of this, this , and this" and "BSG sucks, and anyone who likes BSG sucks as well."

Others have said what I think so I don't have to, and I've responded to you in other threads as well. You are more than welcome to your opinions, but the way you express them is a bit out of taste for my liking. Your three consecutive posts of hatred towards the actors and creators of the show is not really helping you come across as someone of reasonable opinions.

I myslef have plenty of problems with the show, it is very good but not truely superb, in my opinion. But there is such a gulf between how I would talk about a TV show and the things you have written in other threads that I really don't want to even try.

Its a bit scary that after four years of BSG there are folk like you that go around spreading this kind of anger on the net about a TV show. I've spoken to Islamic and Christian fundamentalists who can express themsleves with less anger than you.

Our continued response will just cause more provocation and anger. Lets face it, it really is just the attention you want isn't it ?

No one cares what your background is, or what supposed hardships you faced. We all deal with stuff in our lives, and ya know what, no one cares.

Generally true, though it's worth pointing out the exception- some of the long-time members have developed acquaintances, friendships, and even relationships. Some of us have met and hung out and will continue to do so. But, you know- that happened because people were nice to each other.

Generally true, though it's worth pointing out the exception- some of the long-time members have developed acquaintances, friendships, and even relationships. Some of us have met and hung out and will continue to do so. But, you know- that happened because people were nice to each other.

I meant more in terms of excuses, not friendships, but I get what you are saying.

Sometimes, I really like emotional crap. Like . . . The Princess Diaries. I cried. But, I was also drunk and broke up with my then-boyfriend. Does that count? Please tell me I'm an ok person still. =)

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back