• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Crusade: Behind The Scenes

Many of the start-up costs (contracts and practical concerns) are largely addressed after the first one, sets, costumes much of the CGI models (and even animation), etc. is reusable. The CGI, prosthetic and wardrobe elements would grow with each instalment. It would have become almost like a stretched out tv series in that respect – one dvd is finished another immediately starts up. To call a halt after the first one, after much of the hard work had been done, was an unfortunate decision. And it was jms who made it.
Not exactly. First of all, as usual, WB wouldn't commit to another direct-to-DVD until they saw how the first one did. Then, while JMS was still willing to do more, seeing the expected WGA strike looming, he told WB that they needed to contract the next one soon if they wanted to get it done before the strike. Their response was that there wouldn't be a strike, that 'they' could handle the WGA (arrogance and stupidity, anybody?). So there was no possibility of starting another immediately. Reusable sets? That would consist of a few feet of corridor.

Warner wanted to do more, the fans wanted to see more. So why did it not happen? Was it because Warner couldn’t find any fresh new writers or established talented ones. Or does it lay more in the area that joe touched on in the quote I used earlier. i.e. by contract he has a say, and if it doesn’t involve him it doesn’t happen.
Assuming that JMS had said 'Fine, go ahead with more, I just want to approve the scripts', even I, who knows virtually nothing about film making, know that it would be virtually impossible to do another one without the doubling up that JMS did on the first one. Remember, he wrote, produced and directed it. And while I'm sure he got paid for each job, I doubt that his 'quote' as a director amounted to much. He did it because he was still willing at that point to let WB 'test the waters' for the umpteenth time. However, his doing the first one was contingent on there being a substantially better budget for susequent ones. WB didn't come through with that so in the long run, yes, it was their decision.

Jan

Last edited:
What I’ve never really understood though, given it’s a popular product, is why he doesn’t (or can’t) hand the writing reigns over to someone else – there’s other good authors and screenwriters out their!!?

My own thinking is that he basically doesn't like letting other people in on his grand plans, basically. He has an idea, and if the show/book/whatever ends without him getting to use that idea, he may well use it in some other format. Crusade was, in part, about a plague. Jeremiah was, in part, about a plague. Can we honestly say none of the ideas from the aborted Crusade didn't get used in Jeremiah at some point? Maybe yes, maybe no. Dunno. But for sake of argument, let's assume there's some overlap: if he revisited Crusade - or anything else - at this point, he'd either have to come up with completely new ideas, -or- he'd have to risk making a show that everone will claim is derivative of that other show he did that no one really remembers or liked all that much. So it's more trouble that it's worth, really.

I'm using those as examples to illustrate my point, not as solid evidence.

I *do* think he had an idea in mind for Crusade, though I'm sure it's quite a bit squishier than his concept for B5 (Which was itself squishier and squishier the more we look at it - Babylon Prime, anyone?), and I'm pretty sure his Star Trek Reboot pitch to Paramount was basically a redressed version of Crusade, though I base that on no evidence whatsoever.

Also, I think B5 is *his* baby, I think he's proud of it, and it's the defining moment of the first half of his career. Why should he turn the keys over to anyone else?

That said, I really, really, really wish he would. Geez, just reboot Crusade from start, it's not like we'd really be missing anything if they started over again. And if the ending is different, it's not like we'd even know.

There was something major going on with the Technomages and the Earthforce Black Ops shadow thingie, and I really want to know what it was.

As for fans not accepting a book that has not been created by JMS, the three DelRey trilogies were not created by JMS. Sure, he supplied the outlines, but Keyes, David and Cavelos wrote the books.

Having read the books, I don't even really think the outlines he gave 'em were any too detailed.

I suppose that now he's with DC comics, JMS could suggest to both DC and to WB that a new B5 comic would be cool, but he couldn't do more than that. If JMS wanted to see a series of B5 short stories written by writers he trusts, he'd need permission from WB (and did even back in the days when the short stories were coming out in Amazing and the B5 magazine).

Jan

When I interviewed him on my site last year, he flat out said that wasn't gonna' happen: the story wouldn't be continued in any other format. ( I paraphrase) http://www.republibot.com/content/interview-joe-straczynski

I suppose that now he's with DC comics, JMS could suggest to both DC and to WB that a new B5 comic would be cool, but he couldn't do more than that. If JMS wanted to see a series of B5 short stories written by writers he trusts, he'd need permission from WB (and did even back in the days when the short stories were coming out in Amazing and the B5 magazine).

Jan

When I interviewed him on my site last year, he flat out said that wasn't gonna' happen: the story wouldn't be continued in any other format. ( I paraphrase) http://www.republibot.com/content/interview-joe-straczynski

No, I never thought it would. He's been saying for years that he conceived Crusade for TV and that was it. I just used that as an example of what JMS could and couldn't do regarding new B5, ie; not much.

Jan

No, I never thought it would. He's been saying for years that he conceived Crusade for TV and that was it. I just used that as an example of what JMS could and couldn't do regarding new B5, ie; not much.

Jan[/QUOTE]

Ah. Gotcha'. Sadly, I agree. Maybe we should bug him to finish the Rangers story in comics form? <HEGD&R>

Jan

Ah. Gotcha'. Sadly, I agree. Maybe we should bug him to finish the Rangers story in comics form? <HEGD&R>

Noooooooo.

Jan

Noooooooo.

Well, here's my theory on that: Once it became clear Crusade was dead, and wasn't coming back, he started a new show set about 2.5 years prior to Crusade, which, it seems to me, was probably intended to deal with the Telepath Wars, and to eventually pick up the more interesting aspects of the Crusade story.

I assume in the middle of season 3, we'd be told that the Excalibur had gone missing, presumed destroyed, and then we'd get involved in the EA black ops program and the Technomage dealie and resolve all that by the end of Season 5.

I'm pulling all of that out of my surprisingly hairy ass, but it seems a reasonable assumption.

Noooooooo.

Well, here's my theory on that: Once it became clear Crusade was dead, and wasn't coming back, he started a new show set about 2.5 years prior to Crusade, which, it seems to me, was probably intended to deal with the Telepath Wars, and to eventually pick up the more interesting aspects of the Crusade story.

Well, we know that JMS picked the 2264 timeframe of the B5:LotR pilot so that the series could lead into the events of Crusade, because he's said that.

I assume in the middle of season 3,

The lead-up to the battle of "A Call to Arms" would've come at the end of Season 3, with the actual battle at the start of Season 4, if B5:LotR had gotten that far.

....we'd be told that the Excalibur had gone missing, presumed destroyed, and then we'd get involved in the EA black ops program and the Technomage dealie and resolve all that by the end of Season 5.

That's fairly reasonable, but it seems that we'll never know, at least in story form (as opposed to spoiler/infodump form in the upcoming Crusade scriptbooks.), how Crusade would have played out. On the supply side, JMS can't push for a Crusade resolution, on the demand side, nobody can adequately pull for it, and the studio has no faith in the B5 universe (Thinks there are not enough fans to make them enough money.) but is unwilling to let anybody else do anything with the B5 universe. I wonder how many of mankinds advancements were stopped cold, forever, because of people like those at Warner Brothers.

I'm pulling all of that out of my surprisingly hairy ass, but it seems a reasonable assumption.

There's an image I didn't need.

ps. I guess you didn't get or "get" my PM.

Last edited:

Probably not. I don't know what a "PM" is.

Private Message. Look in the upper right corner of the screen.

The gist of the message:
1. Edit your Post 47 above.
2. Copy & paste
[QUOTE="Jan, post: 359240, member: 1081"][QUOTE="Republibot 3.0, post: 359238, member: 6155"]
and put it in place of what you now have as your first line of quote syntax.

That'll fix it. ;)

Last edited:

Probably not. I don't know what a "PM" is.

Private Message. Look in the upper right corner of the screen.

The gist of the message:
1. Edit your Post 47 above.
2. Copy & paste
[QUOTE="Jan, post: 359240, member: 1081"][QUOTE="Republibot 3.0, post: 359238, member: 6155"]
and put it in place of what you now have as your first line of quote syntax.

That'll fix it. ;)

Ah. Sorry. I didn't understand your hip space-age jargon.

Try $3 million, not $3 million to $5 million. $3 million is what WB offered for the second DVD and JMS turned 'em down. . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . .It was Warner Brothers fault for not allowing an adequate budget to make up for the problems that THEY CREATED.

We actually see eye to eye on a lot of things (believe it or not ; ). That warping thing & levels of destruction idea did jump out a bit, as did the whole attack the only race/power that ever stopped the Centauri in the past! ! ! ! ! Eh, when the f*ck did Earth do that – though I admit I’ve not read any of the books/comics so maybe something happened in them.

Maybe it’s my cynical and suspicious nature but here’s where we come at it from pretty different angles. How do you know Warner was being cheap and intransigent. To quote the man, “you weren’t in the room”, mind you neither was I.

Your right in that they’d produce the thing for as low an amount as they could, and there’s no denying that sci-fi fans (and B5 ones in particular) are among the more exploited groups around in television land – the opinion seems to be, as an obsessed minority bunch, we’ll accept any shit that’s passed under our noses and will be thankful for it.

I mentioned 3 to 5 million an “episode”. You say it’s the lower number, but what are you basing that definitive statement on? What jms has said? This is going to look really anal, but remember I did put that site together and was doing a fair bit of research at the time. So have opinions on things I normally wouldn’t care a flying fig about.

For example. For years folks believed and argued (quite fervently) that FI left B5 in the lurch to go join Trek. But you now know that’s bollocks after jms’s podcast interview – they were pushed out after NDI put a team together to show they could do the fx cheaper. But why did some folks believe FI just upped and left, or that Paramount nicked them – and argue the point. . . . . . . . Because jms provided some ambiguous and rather vague replies full of emotion and rhetoric but low on useful facts, and they interpreted them that way, and promptly repeated the assumptions widely as a fact, and a new Urban Legend was born. So much so that when FI and folks working on Voyager etc. unambiguously addressed the issue they were basically accused of being liars. Even as a newbie approaching things from a neutral corner it looked rather strange.

The same thing is kind of happening with TLT. Take the wiki article on it.
The budget for the first disc was two million dollars.[2]
On July 13, 2008, Straczynski revealed that he had no plans to continue The Lost Tales. He said that although the studio was interested in another disc, they wanted to budget the next installment similarly to the first.

But he didn’t mention any figures on the newsgroup when first breaking the news of his decision, other than the ORIGINAL 2 million budget – he left out the detail of what Warner were proposing for future instalments, instead using the term “minimal investment”. But on the wiki article it only mentions the orignal 2 million and states subsequent installments would be budgeted similarly. Maybe it’s just me, but that does suggest a budget for the next ones – something which jms has NEVER unambgiously stated . . . . anywhere.

B5:TLT was commissioned at a $2 million budget to, yet one more time,
"test the waters" for B5. . . . . . . Of late, there have been more discussions from WB about doing more DVDs, again at a low cost, or a cable thing, again with minimal investment.

Kind of leaves things to the readers imagination somewhat - again. Providing partial information is often worse than providing none at all. But a little later he did put a little more meat onto the bones of his earlier comments. I’ve read him mention both 3 million and 3.5 million, and as it turns out he HAS mentioned a figure as high as 5 million.

I hope jan forgives me for using this one but she reported back from a con in 2008 which included this quote from jms relating to TLT was amongst it.
You want to do another one for two, maybe five million and I say, "You know what? No." The fans of Babylon 5 have stood with the show for so long and when you have me write stuff with financial handcuffs on, it leads you to having creative handcuffs on. You can't have extras, you can't have fights, you can't have stunts, you can't have a lot of stuff. [unintelligible] You know what? I've got a lot of movies going giving me a certain credibility there...I'm gonna roll the dice. I told Warner's: "Big budget feature film or nothing." I own the movie rights...[applause]

When someone on here (B5TV) mentioned that 5 million seemed plenty jan replied with this.
From what I could tell, there was no firm offer of $5 million for a second disk. From the way JMS told it, there was a *range* mentioned but no actual offer or negotiations took place.
See where I’m going with this. jms (while still keeping things vague) mentions a 2 (original budget) to 5 million figure from Warner, but it’s then assumed (by a fan) it was not a definite offer and it was assumed (by a fan) that a range of figures was mentioned and it is assumed (by a fan) that no negotiations took place. Nothing wrong with assuming of course (much like the FI/Netter thing). With others (over time) to then accept or repeat those assumptions as facts a very skewed view of things can be created. Can lead to all sorts of nasties. ; )

Plus this whole thing doesn’t even touch on the “financial handcuffs” equates to “creative handcuffs”, which is the basis of the refusal to do any more. A few arguments (and examples) could be used to show that a big budget isn’t required to write a good (and watchable) 30 minute story. To be honest I was a little surprised that this subject has never been really discussed in forums such as this.

Anyway, this is going further and further off topic. The bottom line to this is that the whole thing ground to a halt because jms didn’t want to do anymore, and personally I view that as a bit of a shame. His decision of course, but nevertheless (as someone who did enjoy the show) it’s a bit of a bugger that no other writer(s) – for whatever reasons – aren’t doing more. And to lay the reason firmly and solely at Warners feet based on cherry picking phrases from ambiguous replies from one person (who incidentally holds the movie rights AND can veto any future B5 television production) is . . . . . . . . . well if you genuinely can’t see the potential problems (though personally I do believe your intelligent enough to do so) there’s probably no point laying them out.

I’m actually not saying shit like this to look for a fight or ‘bash’ jms, I don’t think he’s doing anything wrong, (though there was time I did enjoy a good debate – with quotable references), but reading through a few things relating to B5 I can’t get a certain quote from Jossie Wells out my head. Namely “Don’t piss down my back and tell me it’s raining”. Mucking around with the fans, for whatever reasons, can come in all shapes, sizes and sources. ; )

Last edited:
Plus this whole thing doesn’t even touch on the “financial handcuffs” equates to “creative handcuffs”, which is the basis of the refusal to do any more. A few arguments (and examples) could be used to show that a big budget isn’t required to write a good (and watchable) 30 minute story. To be honest I was a little surprised that this subject has never been really discussed in forums such as this.

Anyway, this is going further and further off topic. The bottom line to this is that the whole thing ground to a halt because jms didn’t want to do anymore, and personally I view that as a bit of a shame. His decision of course, but nevertheless (as someone who did enjoy the show) it’s a bit of a bugger that no other writer(s) – for whatever reasons – aren’t doing more. And to lay the reason firmly and solely at Warners feet based on cherry picking phrases from ambiguous replies from one person (who incidentally holds the movie rights AND can veto any future B5 television production) is . . . . . . . . . well if you genuinely can’t see the potential problems (though personally I do believe your intelligent enough to do so) there’s probably no point laying them out.

You know what ... I don't care about what the specifics are of the facts and figures here and who knows precisely what, when and how, or even who is speculating wildly without cause, the bottom line for me in all of these things is simple.

Firstly, if we are going to get new B5, I don't want "good and watchable" as you describe what can be produced with a small budget. The new iteration of V is good and watchable, NCIS is good and watchable ... hell, I found even the 2008 Knight Rider series to be good and watchable, but none of those shows are going to find their way onto my DVD shelf, nor into my heart and soul the way the original B5 series did.

If the level of budget on the table wasn't of sufficient size for JMS to believe that it offered him the scope to tell the kind of stories that he wants to tell in the B5 universe then he is right to walk away, because I would rather have nothing new at all than the continued occasional release of stuff that is OK, but nothing special.

I enjoyed the Lost Tales immensely, both parts, but the small budget was immediately apparent in the limited time given to outer space, the lack of population on the station and the limited number of physical sets available. Sure you can write good stories under those limitations, but B5 fans are used to (and want) something a little larger in scope, a little more epic in concept and ambition.

It is not about whether a "financial handcuff" equals a complete "creative handcuff", which it doesn't, but whether it equals a handcuff in terms of doing what you want to do.

If I want to record a few of my songs, I can pay a couple of hundred pounds for a day in the studio and get a perfectly acceptable, and eminently listenable, acoustic EP, based on my guitar playing, a bit of piano and harmony vocals from myself and the wife.

If I want to record the songs with my band (for which, in part, they were written), that brings with it a drummer, bass guitar, lead guitar and a couple more vocalists, it is going to take much longer in the studio and cost much more in studio and mixing time to do it to the same level of quality.

If I ony have a couple of hundred pounds to commit to it, the acoustic recording is a fine option, but if that isn't what I want to do I simply won't bother. Instead, we could attempt to set up a multi-track system to record ournext live performance of the song. That would be better, but still not as good as spending the time in the studio to do it properly.

It always struck me that this was the choice JMS made ... to walk away because the budgets apparently on offer would restrict the types of stories he could tell, not the ability to tell creative stories per se.

I was also always of the understanding that JMS has no right of veto over Warners doing more B5 if they wanted to, apart from the feature film, but might choose to defer to him if he said he didn't want them to do something. I seem to remember him specifically stating that if WB had wanted to do season 6 back in 1998, then they had the right to do exactly that whether he wanted them to or not ... but then JMS said it, so you probably don't accept that.

;)

Last edited:
Quick reply to Triple F: ....because I'm on my Droid and don't want to get into a big involved reply until I get home to a proper keyboard.

I'll give you that JMS might have mentioned $5 million as an upper limit of WB's offer. SITLL, that does not allow for recreation of all the stuff they (WB) LOST, SOLD or DESTROYED. They have to allocate money, outside of the $3 million to $5 million budget for that, if they're not going to be cheapskates.

Last edited:
I think we can both/all agree that jms is an artist, a wordsmith, a workaholic, has standards and isn’t afraid to speak his mind. But, he’s also a producer who needs to make a living by selling a product. A point that is worth bearing in mind when reading the actual content of what says. He is a wordsmith after all, and by definition does know how to use language. Though as fans it’s not always easy to maintain suitably high levels of objectivity, and are inclined to overlook things which may seem obvious to others.

That’s not a dig at jms or any fans (ffs I am one), it’s just the nature of the relationship/beast. ; )

I was also always of the understanding that JMS has no right of veto over Warners doing more B5 if they wanted to, apart from the feature film, but might choose to defer to him if he said he didn't want them to do something. I seem to remember him specifically stating that if WB had wanted to do season 6 back in 1998, then they had the right to do exactly that whether he wanted them to or not ... but then JMS said it, so you probably don't accept that.

; ) I can see how your getting that impression, but believe me that isn’t the case. The previous post was touching on having a bit of objectiviety in reading some of his replies and how bandwagons can be created through fans interpretating them – then others basing opinions on those interpretations (like the Netter / FI thing).

Another asthing that can help Urban Myths along is the (perfectly understandable) “I seem to recall” type comments that are used to support a view or respond to another. Like this,
I seem to remember him specifically stating that if WB had wanted to do season 6 back in 1998, then they had the right to do exactly that whether he wanted them to or not
I fully conceed that he may have said that, or something like that, and I’ve just missed it. But you could also be mistaken and misremembered something. The reason for mentioning that he can veto future B5 televsion production is based on these comments I did notice him make.

http://www.jmsnews.com/msg.aspx?id=1-3948
Warners owns the copyright to B5, just as Paramount owns the
copyright to ST. By contract, if there should be a spin off or sequel
of any kind, I would have to be involved in it. The contract doesn't
say that there cannot be any of these; you're correct, that can't be
negotiated.

http://www.jmsnews.com/msg.aspx?id=1-17011

Well, yeah, I did create the series, executive produce it, write 91 out of 110 episodes, and I do control many of the rights. And no deal can go forward without my involvement. By contract, if it doesn't happen with me, it doesn't happen. I still don't see what that has to do with anything, however.

That second one was part of a response to Jerry Doyle wanting to bring back the show a feww years back. I didn’t nor am I implying that jms has ever prevented a B5 related show from being created with or without other writers. But statemtns such as “By contract, if it doesn't happen with me, it doesn't happen. “ does give the very strong impression that he has what amounts to a veto, and production of a show is not solely in the hands of Warner. That’s the point I raised, and it’s a pertinent one (at least to me) when considering the *possible* reasons why Warner didn’t continue creating Lost Tales when they apparently wished to, whatever the budget. Which (going back to an earlier post) appears to have been in the 3 to 5 million bracket.

I’ve a question. Considering 2 million was the starting point for the only LT (and given a few startup costs wouldn’t have been repeated) do you think that two and a half times that budget for subsequent instalments (i.e the 5 million figure jms mentioned) would have improved that empty feel you mentioned. Because, to be honest, if that sort of number was flying around (and I'm assuming jms didn't pull it out of thin air) then I'm a little surprised he felt it wasn't enough to make a f*cking stunning second disc. ; )

@ KoshN
You and GH are making very fair points especially when taking certain things in isolation. But I can't help looping back to 5 million per disc. If two or three were being made a year then your talking some serious money and getting into a situation were budget costs could start being spread over the installments, much like a very long drawn out tv series i.e rather than weekly episodes there every 2 or 3 months. 10 or 15 million a year!! The first one or two may look a bit dodgy but after that with CGI models built, using the same FX companies etc. I think the thing was folded too quickly.

Last edited:
As I had a couple of minutes, I went over to JMSNews to see if I did imagine what JMS had said about a season 6, and here it is ...

Now, in theory, WB could do B5 without me, since they own the copyright, and that would be the last bullet in their gun if I got real difficult about it.

Part of this post

All that aside, TripleF, I think the truth at this point is that JMS as a writer and producer is capable of making an extremely good living without ever touching B5 again, and his decision to walk away from The Lost Tales and state that it is a big budget feature or nothing is because that is what he wants to do in the B5 universe now.

He might well have been prepared to do more Lost Tales if he felt the budget he was being given was large enough for him to do what he wanted with them, and since it wasn't he doesn't need to compromise, because he has plenty of other offers on the table.

As a fan who would love to see more, I think that is a shame, but ultimately it is his decision to make, and I don't need to know the specifics behind his decisions in order to respect them.

At some point I'm hoping to transcribe exactly what JMS said at the MIT event last year. The gist of it is that he only wants to do more B5 if it enhances what went before and he feels that some of what's been done was at least partly because he sentimentally wanted to continue to play in that universe. But he's decided now that anything further should only enhance it and that's why he's drawn the line at a big-budget feature or nothing.

Jan

As a fan who would love to see more, I think that is a shame, but ultimately it is his decision to make, and I don't need to know the specifics behind his decisions in order to respect them.
Completely agree (with everything you just said). All the comments I come out with are more discussion for discussion sake than anything else.

The quote you used and the one I did is actually a good example of what I was referring to with regards to never knowing the full picture. In one, jms mentions WB could do a season 6 without him, and in another he mentions if he ain’t include in any future B5 project (by contract) it ain’t happening.!!? Bugger knows what the situation is and when push comes to shove I don’t really care anyway. : )

But that type of confusion and how some fans can take one interpretation (or one quote) and go running with it (thus creating a skewed viewed and the occasional widely repeated urban myth) WAS frustrating, for me, as a newbie trying to find definitive facts. But it’s not all bad I suppose. As a result some new interviews and concept art is now kicking around the net. (if you ignore my occasional lapse into ranting like a budgie with a new mirror) : )

At some point I'm hoping to transcribe exactly what JMS said at the MIT event last year. The gist of it is that he only wants to do more B5 if it enhances what went before and he feels that some of what's been done was at least partly because he sentimentally wanted to continue to play in that universe. But he's decided now that anything further should only enhance it and that's why he's drawn the line at a big-budget feature or nothing.

I hope it happens. Though there is that question about other writers and . . . . . . no, I’m not going there again as I’ll sound obsessed about it, which I’m genuinely not. Though I can’t help wondering if the expectation of (some) fans will ever allow any future B5 to enhance what’s already there. (the second time is rarely as good as the memory of the first)

At the end of the day, of course, it’s down to what each one of us thinks about anything new that will be made. (personally I quite enjoyed LoTR though did laugh out loud when yon character kept hitting the mat with his fighting pike – WHAT was that all about. Is there a rodent problem on Minbar!? :) But, and I could be wrong about this, with the growth of the internet, pundits and bloggers (who are no more qualified than anyone else) seem to be increasingly used by other media (and god forbid) the studios on how a movie or tv show is perceived.

Going by what little I’ve seen of them, they can share some pretty bias, extreme (and often ill-informed and limited) opinions and just because they get a few thousand hits on their sites by folks wanting to have a laugh or just bitch about something the more mouthy ones can be elevated to the position of being representative or given some type of credibility. Though I could be well wrong about that.

It will be interesting to see how any future B5 is received.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back