• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Any Thoughts on Stargate Universe and the Stargate Franchise ?

Garovorkin

Regular
Stargate Sg1 was a decent scif action show, which started to go down hill after season 7, then we Stargate Atlantis which is pretty much derivative of Sg1 that I found it to be both a mediocre show at best and down right boring at worst. Im not all that sorry to see it go. Now we get Stargate universe, where a team finds a Ancients hip which creates and sets up Stargates , they get stuck on board the ship? Hm certain aspects of this concept sound kinda familiar. So do think its high time that they put the Stargate Franchise into hibernation for a few years?:rolleyes:

I think it has belonged inhibernation for years. Ive seen SG1 all the way though, but only because it was something to watch on DVD (Borrowed my friends DVDs) while I was working out on my elliptical for 45min at home. I thought that 80% of the episodes were stale as piss, the characters were boring and one dimensional, and the overall "arc" (if you can call it that) dragged on for ever, and ever, and ever, until they did a "reboot" like around Season 8 and brought in basically a whole new team to start it all over again.

Atlantis I liked better at the start. I thought the first two seasons were solid. I thought the characters were better than SG1 for the most part. My only complaint was the "villains" in Atlantis --- the Wraith --- were really lame and cliche. Then when they brought in more "replicators" again in Season 3 things really started to become the "same old, same old" of SG1...and Atlantis started its downhill slide, replacing good characters with patch work ones.

So I guess I'm saying I didn't think the franchise deserved the 10 year run the first show got, and the 5 year run the second one did, so I don't really see what "Stargate Voyager" is going to do to catch any interest of mine whatsoever.

I liked SG1 even after it started to get a little stale. I also liked Atlantis the first season or two but then that got old as well. I read that SG Universe is going to be geared more for younger people- a target audience of young twenty-somethings. That right there does not sound good to me. The entire cast are probably going to be made up of eye-candy actors. I'll probably watch the first ep or two, but I'm not counting on liking it.

Stargate Universe just sounds horrid. I never really got into Atlantis, but always found SG1 enjoyable, although I never really followed it.

I hope it all gets dropped and replaced with a reinvigorated Farscape...

It was announced today that Robert Carlyle is 'strongly tipped' going to take a lead role in this:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/news/e3ia42e757920d927798a19726f013538af

My interest just shot up by 300%. I loved this guy in Trainspotting and most other stuff. Seems like this series might have more complexitiy than we assumed from the inital cast calls. (Us geeks, paranoid and reactive ? Never !)

Hopefully, he will be a Gary Cole in American Gothic style anti-hero. Or he could be just another sucky play-it-safe scientist. And it could still be horrid. Am interested now though.

Last edited:
I liked SG1 when it first came out, but eventually the show seemed to slide into mediocrity and crappy storylines, like the whole Replicator thing. It got to the point where if I was even home to watch it I didn't want to because I hated the whole Replicator thing.

As for Atlantis, I've actually been enjoying it. There are Replicators there too, but at least they are human-ish and not a bunch of spider-like machines running around wreaking havoc. I don't care much for Mr. Woolsey, but I liked Dr. Weir and Samantha Carter, and I like Sheppard, Teyla, Rodney, Ronon, and both of the doctors they've had, although I like Beckett better than Keller. The Wraith are kinda weird, but hey, you should expect weird if you're in another galaxy. :LOL: But all in all, I'm going to be sorry to see the show end.

As for the Stargate Universe idea, it doesn't sound appealing to me. Some people here said Atlantis is boring, but to me this sounds way more boring than either Atlantis or SG1 ever were.

It was announced today that Robert Carlyle is 'strongly tipped' going to take a lead role in this:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/news/e3ia42e757920d927798a19726f013538af

My interest just shot up by 300%. I loved this guy in Trainspotting and most other stuff. Seems like this series might have more complexitiy than we assumed from the inital cast calls. (Us geeks, paranoid and reactive ? Never !)

Hopefully, he will be a Gary Cole in American Gothic style anti-hero. Or he could be just another sucky play-it-safe scientist. And it could still be horrid. Am interested now though.

Darth... one word of caution - "Flood".

That was one huge turkey of a production with Carlyle as the lead actor.

Back