• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

What are you watching now?

I watched Carnival of Souls, mainly for the soundtrack which is a favorite amongst fans.

Your comment had me scratching my head. I looked it up, and I think we are talking about two different films. The one I mean is one of the creepiest films I have ever seen, made on a shoestring in 1962: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0055830/

I didn't realize there was a Wes Craven film by the same name.

I just watched Flags of Our Fathers in HD today, and was impressed. Adam Beech deserved an Oscar. Fine film.

I just noticed that the 1962 Carnival Of Souls will be on Turner Classic Movies 2am, Oct.27th, EST. That is to say, Friday night/Saturday am. So, soon I will have a DVD of it! :D

Addendum: I found a couple of other films of note in the TMC schedule.

One is Kwaidan, a Japanese film of four ghost tales, ethereal, spooky, beautiful. 10/29 3:30am EST

Also, Goke, Body Snatcher From Hell. I have never seen this, but have heard it is rather unusual. It was made in 1968. Quentin Tarantino is responsible for making it available in the US. I plan on checking it out. 10/29 2am EST

Last edited:
No, we were talking about that same Carnival of Souls.

I'm also recording a couple of TCM old-timey horror flicks: White Zombie, and something else about zombies. I like zombies.

Last night I watched Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai. Folks, you haven't lived until you've seen Forrest Whitaker do khatas.

For lovers of b movies I'm currently watching a film called Evil Aliens.For the original anal probe drill to the mad Welsh on an island this is just stupid fun.Talk about piss yourself laughing :LOL:

Not to mention how the evil alien baby gets born :p

Never mind the flying eyeballs ;)

As I said,a good b movie.

Just got "The Crow: Stairway to Heaven" TV on DVD. Another one of my favorite series that got cancelled way too soon.:confused:.

For Halloween, the original movie "The Crow"is appropriate viewing, made especially eerie by the death of the star, Brandon Lee during filming.:cool:

I'm gearing up for some major holiday film marathons. I spent about $200 on DVDs, including Betty Boop: The Vintage Collection, Remastered, Zatoichi Meets Yojimbo, and the new Criterion Collection restorations of Yojimbo, Sanjuro, Seven Samurai, and their limited edition of Cocteau's Orphic Trilogy, which includes Blood of a Poet, Orpheus, and The Testament of Orpheus.

Besides those, I am borrowing from the library where I work, the Angel Video edition of Ken Russell's The Devils, David Lynch's Inland Empire,, Lindsay Anderson's If, a new cut of an Orson Welles film on The Complete Mr. Arkadin, and the 2004 film Crash, a director's cut.

I'm sure there will be lots of egg nog (with plenty of nog), popcorn, and probably some pizza to go with...

I have already watched Yojimbo, and Sanjuro, both old favorites, excellent films that most anyone can enjoy. The new anamorphic versions, both from high definition digital transfers, from first generation positives were quite noticeable improvements. The restorations were stunning in their clarity, and the new translations made much better sense in spots, more detailed. Both films had an optional Dolby Digital 3.0 soundtrack, which had the original "Perspecta Stereophonic Sound," a three channel simulated stereo sound. DD5.1 it wasn't, but is sounded much better than mono. I never knew the original film releases had that, because this was the first recording issued that has it. I highly recommend these films/DVDs!

Last edited:
Television really isn't catching my attention now that most things are in reruns due to the strike.

Watched a few movies:

Zodiac (was pretty well done)
Breach (also a pretty good movie)

Have The Departed, but waiting until my husband and I can watch it together. I'm about ready to tell him to suffer while I sneak it in.

I'm behind on my Netflix, bigtime.

They re-released those Kirosawa flicks again? What is that, now, 3 versions of these movies on DVD?

I haven't bought a DVD in ages but I recently checked my cable's On Demand service for the first time and ended up watching both of the Grindhouse flicks. These are the versions they put out on DVD separately, which basically just means I got to see a tad more skin on Rose McGowan during her "sex scene" w/ Freddie Rodriguez and Vanessa Ferlito giving Kurt Russell a lap dance.

They re-released those Kirosawa flicks again? What is that, now, 3 versions of these movies on DVD?

Only the second DVD version from Criterion, I believe. The first releases were from the same masters they used for LD, I think. They were not anamorphic, and not from HD transfers. Fortunately, I did not buy the earlier releases. I read a lot about these before I got them, saying they were real improvements, in several ways, and it is true. Otherwise, I would not have bought them. Of course, I shopped, and got good deals... :D

I haven't bought a DVD in ages but I recently checked my cable's On Demand service for the first time and ended up watching both of the Grindhouse flicks. These are the versions they put out on DVD separately, which basically just means I got to see a tad more skin on Rose McGowan during her "sex scene" w/ Freddie Rodriguez and Vanessa Ferlito giving Kurt Russell a lap dance.

A friend loaned me the two Grindhouse DVDs, but I haven't gotten around to watching them yet. If they are free and HD, on On Demand, I'll watch them there instead. I haven't bought many DVDs either, just some old favorites that have had superlative releases, or have been unavailable. Things I like to watch once in a while. Mostly I have made a few hundred with my DVDR. Those cost less than $.50 each, total DVD-R and polycase costs.

51BfEg74q0L._SS500_.jpg

Well, HD-DVD and BluRay are the reason I'm not buying many DVDs... Sooner or later, the format war will be over, or someone will produce good, reasonably priced combo players, and I'll get into it. I realized that SD DVDs were already obsolete, before I bought a DVD player, several years back. I wanted to skip a format, but they were taking too long, and I was weak... :D

Watching old Simpsons eps, which I had seen .. er .. a decade ago. (When did I get this old?) .. but only in German.

Will be fun to watch the show's descending into suckage slowly.

This is what I just watched:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VsDwVye4JM

Yes, that's the captain from Firefly.
Yes, that's Beth the bookstore slut from 40 Yr Old Virgin (Elizabeth Banks).
Yes, that's Pam Beesley from The Office (Jenna Fischer).
Yes, those are creepy red alien slugs that invade people's bodies.
What's not to like?

AMERICA'S NEXT TOP MODEL MARATHON!

Can you tell, I'm desperate for new stuff?

I feel so so so very dirty right now.

I'm finally making my way through Firefly. Don't know why I waited this long, the show is amazing.

No kidding, Mike G. Don't forget to watch Serenity (movie) after you're done. =)

Keep us updated on which ep you're on, unless you finish it all in two days like I did.

I just watched the NY football Giants defeat the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in the playoffs! Yay!

This shall be followed by another football game and the season 5 premier of The Wire. Who needs a social life?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back