• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

WB announcement due on ...

Yes, but there are external pressures. You don't want to be announcing a new movie to an empty room....

I have no idea what this is supposed to mean. If Warner Bros. calls a press conference to announce a new film, or a new slate of films for the 2004/05 year, the press will show up. The room won't be empty. That's how press conferences work. It isn't as though the studio has to make an announcement at some pre-scheduled event run by somebody else. So I don't know what "external pressures" could be involved here.

"Phase 2 was going to be underground, she said. It was going to be underground!"

:)

Joe

What's scary is it took me about 10 seconds or less to remember the source of that quote... :eek: :LOL:

At the Comic Book Convention, JMS said that the news could break at anytime. I think he alluded to the fact that there are a fair amount of people out there who already know - agents, actors, production people, etc. So why isn't anyone talking? :devil:

I dont suppose WB have leaked any information state side have they?

At least JMS can put us all out of our misery - and then we can endlessly speculate on the movie for another 2 years or so....

:D

"Phase 2 was going to be underground, she said. It was going to be underground!"

Joe

What's scary is it took me about 10 seconds or less to remember the source of that quote... :eek: :LOL:

:confused: :confused: :confused:

/IamS

James T. Kirk referring to Dr. Carol Marcus's proposal for "Project Genesis" in Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan.

And no, nobody from Warner Bros. has leaked anything, therefore JMS remains unable to put us out of our misery.

Regards,

Joe

I have no idea what this is supposed to mean. If Warner Bros. calls a press conference to announce a new film, or a new slate of films for the 2004/05 year, the press will show up. The room won't be empty. That's how press conferences work. It isn't as though the studio has to make an announcement at some pre-scheduled event run by somebody else. So I don't know what "external pressures" could be involved here.
It isn't coincidental that so many movie announcements are made at film festivals, such as Cannes, because a large number of press agents are already there, and such announcements get far greater attendence than when they are made back at the studio. Sorry I didn't explain that more clearly. That is the "external pressure" on a studio to wrap up deals and make announcements where they are going to have the biggest splash. I should also have made clear that "empty room" is a figure of speech, not to be taken literally.

It isn't coincidental that so many movie announcements are made at film festivals, such as Cannes

As far as I know, the major U.S. studios almost never announce new films at film festivals. They debut them, they lobby for awards, the publicize them. On rare ocassion they may show footage from a work-in-progress to get a buzz going. But they don't announce future projects there. Independents desparate to raise money to make a film will announce them at film festivals - because that's the place to meet the money men, not because the press is there. Similarly producers will try to make distribution deals at places like Cannes or Sundance.

And U.S. films are made for, live and die by and are judged by domestic box office. International sales are important, of course, but what really counts is how a film plays on the home field. Since most Americans don't really care about film festivals in general or follow what little news comes out of them, and care even less about overseas film festivals, the U.S. studios would get essentially no benefit with their target audience by announcing a film a Cannes - where announcements of future productions are going to be swamped by news about the films actually playing at the festival anyway. And they wouldn't gain anything they really needed in terms of the European audience, since they already have international distirbution deals in place.

Can you think of one film from a major U.S. studio like Warner Bros., Fox, Sony, Disney or Paramount whose pending production was announced at Cannes, or Sundance or Toronto? I sure can't. I don't think it has ever happened.

Film festivals exist mostly for indies and small producers. The majors get a little publicity out of them, and every so often they'll find an indy gem that is worth picking up in a distribution deal, but the basic idea is to provide those outside the system with a chance to court sources of funding, distribution and future work, not a place for the majors to court the press or anybody else. They don't need festivals for that.

Regards,

Joe

Joe

You consider *that* scary? Man, I need to get checked in somewhere then...it took me 2 seconds to recognize it AND realize that he misplaced the "she said" in the quote (it goes after the second "underground" :)

:eek:

--mcn

Actually, Joe, this is the very argument I made against "Cannes is the oposite of can't" a month ago. I really wasn't arguing that WB was going to announce at Cannes, I was making the point that there CAN be outside pressures to get the deal done. I just ended up over-emphasising the part of the argument that was the weakest (and that I don't really believe anyway).

However, I don't know that there have been NO major studio announcements at Cannes or the other Indie film festivals. I suppose one could google this if one really cared.

Well WB announces their TV schedule tomorrow for next season, so maybe they'll throw in the announcement on TMoS at the same time (Even if it is a Feature film that has nothing to do with TV)

Well WB announces their TV schedule tomorrow for next season, so maybe they'll throw in the announcement on TMoS at the same time (Even if it is a Feature film that has nothing to do with TV)

No, The WB, which is a TV network, and one of the many independent parts of Time-Warner, is going to announce its TV schedule next week.

The various parts of Warner Bros. have nothing to do with one another beyond sharing a corporate parent. They're no more connected than the various units that make up General Motors. Cadillac does not take valuable time out of a press conference about its new sports sedan or SUV to tout a product from Chevy. Nor would Chevy allow Cadillac to do so.

So why would The WB TV network, which has a week to impress TV advertisers with its new shows (many of which are produced by competing studios like Fox and Paramount) so that they buy commercials take valuable time away from those meetings to announce the production of a theatrical film that isn't going to make one thin for the network? Why would the giant Warner Bros. studio allow its piss-ant TV network stable-mate get anywhere near the announcement of a major motion picture? Answers: "They wouldn't" and "They wouldn't".

These people are in business. They don't "throw things in" for the hell of it, or because it might gratify fans.

Regards,

Joe

It seems as if the 18th of May announcement has been made, and now the Ides are soon coming to an end...

Oh, I give up!. :D

Regards,

Joe

But you have to admit, or at least may admit :) that even if Ides are (is?) not a specific date, we should translate it with "mid-", and for me mid-May has gone. It is now late-May.

But who cares? We'll know any day now!
And I'm waiting, and waiting, and...

/IamS

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back