• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

JMS live in New Jersey

I can only hope that this resistance and prejudice, though I knew it existed, doesn't in any way deter JMS or cause problems for JMS, B5 and the future. But I have to say it's wonderful to know that the buzz and hype seem to be overshadowing anything negative.

Hopefully, JMS will hold his own and maintain his patience and the resistance will decrease over time. To those of you who were there, how did he say that part? Was it with that "I'm sick of this superiority complex of theirs and getting tired of it more and more each day"? Or "It's there, but not a big deal and getting better," sort of way?

What was his demeanor like when talking about that particular issue?

And as for the ST comment...I find that VERY INTERESTING. And a little part of me wants to go Whoooohoooooo!

I guess time will tell.

One last question: He wouldn't elaborate on the Ides of May comment I see, but did he seem to be of the attitude that it wouldn't still be around that date?

Thanks for the info and postings!

CE

I've been kicking myself that I can't recall the exact word he used. His manner wasn't upset that I could tell, more of a 'here's another oddity of this business that doesn't make much sense' attitude. I didn't get the feeling that it's a major battle.

One last question: He wouldn't elaborate on the Ides of May comment I see, but did he seem to be of the attitude that it wouldn't still be around that date?

All he'd say was that it was in the hands of the Powers that Be and he'd be in hot water if he said anything. Now, knowing how precise JMS tends to be, I remind folks that his post said "Starting around the Ides of May..." not *on* that date. He never promises anything that's out of his control.

Jan

Thanks Jan for the quick reply!

Good to know it didn't seem like a big deal really.

Sorry for the double post here, (I posted this same thing in the other TMoS thread), but if you recall the comment I made in this forum previously that it's up to us, the fans, now to spread the word, well, I've posted a poll over at www.sg1archive.com about B5. Everyone head over there, join up and post a positive response to the the poll.

It's in the off-topic discussion and called "Babylon 5 poll, What do you think of B5 and the new film".

There are some wishy washy types there who aren't convinced and some who haven't seen it really. If such a poll were overwhelmingly positive for B5 (and there are some fans there who've voted positively) we might be able to convince some SG-1 fans to take a first (or even second) look at B5.

Help us out!

CE

Thanks Kosh N for the lesson in copy and paste. I worked many years with word processing and cut and pasted all the time. But I have little confidence with the Internet and now see that it's the same thing! :LOL:

I have a pretty good voice copy of the Q&A session and will listen to see what exactly JMS said about respect between TV and movie producers/directors. I also want to type up his advice about following your dreams. It's especially good for all the young people on this site. Good also for all of us not so young and those of us who are ancient. But I'll post it later in the Off Topic Discussion forum since it doesn't deal with B5 news.

Thanks Kosh N for the lesson in copy and paste. I worked many years with word processing and cut and pasted all the time. But I have little confidence with the Internet and now see that it's the same thing! :LOL:

I have a pretty good voice copy of the Q&A session and will listen to see what exactly JMS said about respect between TV and movie producers/directors. I also want to type up his advice about following your dreams. It's especially good for all the young people on this site. Good also for all of us not so young and those of us who are ancient. But I'll post it later in the general form since it doesn't deal with B5 news.

Actually, StarStuff, if you've got it all recorded and are planning to transcribe those important passages..it would be best and cool if you either posted it all here or in a new thread so it's all in one place.

I would be most interested in his exact wording, though I know transcribing such things is tedious work.

CE

Damn my editing just wasn't fast enough!

I have a pretty good voice copy of the Q&A session and will listen to see what exactly JMS said about respect between TV and movie producers/directors. I also want to type up his advice about following your dreams. It's especially good for all the young people on this site. Good also for all of us not so young and those of us who are ancient. But I'll post it later in the general form since it doesn't deal with B5 news.

Actually, StarStuff, if you've got it all recorded and are planning to transpose those important passages..it would be best and cool if you either posted it all here or in a new thread so it's all in one place.

I would be most interested in his exact wording, though I know transposing such things is tedious work.

CE

CE, I hope you mean transcribe (putting the verbal comments into text), rather than transpose (Re-arranging or reversing the order or what he said). :LOL:

A transcription would be most appreciated.

I have a pretty good voice copy of the Q&A session and will listen to see what exactly JMS said about respect between TV and movie producers/directors. I also want to type up his advice about following your dreams. It's especially good for all the young people on this site. Good also for all of us not so young and those of us who are ancient. But I'll post it later in the Off Topic Discussion forum since it doesn't deal with B5 news.

Yes! Please!! Or a new thread here. I very much want to see word for word what he said about following/finding dreams. It was my question but for some reason much of the answer has faded.

Memo to self: Next time take a recorder! <g>
Jan

Actually, StarStuff, if you've got it all recorded and are planning to transpose those important passages..it would be best and cool if you either posted it all here or in a new thread so it's all in one place.

I would be most interested in his exact wording, though I know transposing such things is tedious work.

CE

CE, I hope you mean transcribe (putting the verbal comments into text), rather than transpose (Re-arranging or reversing the order or what he said). :LOL:

A transcription would be most appreciated.

Yeah, yeah, yeah. That's what I meant. Sorry, I'm at work so occasionally I'm typing at high speed and not always thinking clearly about each word. Last time I made a mistake like that, everyone went off on a tangent...let's hope it doesn't cause the same reaction this time.

Thanks for noticing and letting me know so I can change it!

Oh, and for those who have no idea what this is about...ha ha! I've edited and you'll NEVER know!!!

*laughs an evil laugh*

CE

OH! Doh! It's quoted with the wrong words twice now!

AAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHH! :mad:

OK here it goes . . .

This is from JMS's Q&A session at the Saturday Comic Book Convention. I can't make out some words and punctuation's all over the place but the message is clear.

Question: You're well known for advising and encouraging people to follow their dreams. What about people who may not have found their dreams or may have lost it along the way? What would you say to them?

JMS: I'd say bulls_ _t . You know in your heart what you want to do. You may be denying it but you always know. Ah . . .look at kids . . . they spontaneously sing, spontaneously dance, tell stories, and act thimgs out. Then, somewhere along the line someone says, "You can't do that - you shouldn't do that - professionals do that - they're trained to do that and you shouln't do that." And, you stop doing these things. You stop listening to the voice in your head that says I enjoy this.

What you want to do is what gives you pleasure. My parents said, "Comic books - bad - you can't make a living with that stuff. Stop watching television all the time." I've made a living doing what I love. The first part being, of course, finding out what it is that you love. You know that in your heart. So when someone says to me, "I don't know what I want to do." Bulls_ _t. You may be afraid to try it. That's a whole different scenario.

People want to live lives of courage. It's not necessary ___________. I'm foursquare for courage, I always have been. But I don't believe in denying the obivious, you know. Who in this room knows what they want to do with their life _______ whether it's a parent ________ fear. Back here you know (he either pointed to his head or his heart)what gives you pleasure. What do you like doing. Whether it's parents who want you to be a doctor . . . and your goal is you love being a carpener. You love working with wood - left to your own devices you could be a good carpener. You can spend your days doing what you enjoy.

________ talks about his grandfather, who was a painter, an illustrator, and he was dying and what do you say. The grandfather said, "Look, I'm fine because there's two kind of tired - good tired and bad tired. Bad tired, ironically enought, can be a day when you've won. You've fought someone else's battles, lived their agendas, fought for their goals and there wasn't much of you in there. Good tired can be a day in which you've lost. You've fought your battles, lived your agendas."

_________ I wish I could have done more stuff but I'm good tired and they can take me away. Whatever you can say about me and my work, I'm good tired and that's the goal to become good tired. And that's the advice I know - become good tired.

That was actually toward the end. One other particularly memorable question was from somebody who asked what advice 'JMS now' would give 'JMS before starting B5'.

He said (paraphrasing): Surprisingly, perhaps not to do B5. or at leaast to take time off. Most people don't know that it almost killed me, that I had heart trouble by the end. Definitely to take more time off.

Jan

There was a question (couldn't make out the exact wording) - - was he approached for the Spider Man movie. He said, "I didn't think they would. It's a blockbuster movie and there are major film guys who are known for that. There's a certain odiousness, I've discovered lately, about TV writeres working in film. There's a certain stigma attached. That's why I haven't been asked . . .

Here are some other comments:

When speaking about Spider Man commics he said, "They pay me very well. The lights dim at Marvel when I cash my check."

Question: What would be the next project you'd like to work on. JMS: "Superman! Give me that character. I'd fix him!" (much laughter by his devotees as the newspaper labeled us).

Question: Of all your cancelled projects which one would you most like to resume first? (He joked that there really weren't that many.) His answer, "Crusades is the obvious choice because it was cut short. It was shot in its cradle."

Question about returning to the B5 universe. "It would be in transmuted fashion. General story line maintained but not the details. The history of B5 is the history of B5 . . . keeping the chronical lines intact but the individual stories could vary . . ."

There were two questions that caused him to refer back to the erased "TMoS 101", though. The first was about the Techno-mages and the second was about Crusade.

This "Project" has to be about the telepath war then ...

What connection do you see between the Mages, Crusade and The Telepath war? Between the Crusade and The Telepath War, we have Matheson, but what is there to connect to the Mages? Yes, Galen was in Crusade, but how does he or any of the other Mages connect to The Telepath War?

I just don't see how your getting "This "Project" has to be about the telepath war then."

Thanks again StarStuff for the great enlightenment. Let's hope that JMS shows those film folk just what a great visionary writer can do...whether he's written for TV or not. Show 'em up, JMS! :D

That last bit seemed a bit strange to me...only in that I'm trying to figure out exactly what he meant. He means he would and will return to the B5 universe, but not to such the heavy and, as we know, stressful level he was during the initial run? Or that he would take a supervisory role only and let others step in? (Which I personally hope isn't the case, since the B5 universe is what it is because it is so strongly one man's dream and vision.) I would like to hope he would still write and strictly guide the other writers so as to maintain the continuity and vision of the universe.

The other thing I find interesting is that he said would like to see CRUSADE finished...and it seemed he was speaking in the "if only I could" manner...but he pointed to the board when CRUSADE was mentioned before in seeming regard to TMoS.

This could mean that TMoS isn't necessarily about CRUSADE but has elements that are a part of that arc. I really can't wait for the announcement...but we should all prepare ourselves for the fact that, though we'll have the full title, I doubt we'll get much else as they won't want the storyline leaking out. We might get some better hints and more Vorlonesque statements from JMS, but other than that...I can bet you WB will be keeping a tight lid on this.

So I suppose we'll still be speculating to some large extent until the film actually comes out. Ugh!

But I suppose I wouldn't really want it any other way. :)

CE

I would imagine we should get the title, top level storyline concern (IE: TeepWar, Drahk, etc), medium (We think it's confirmed to be Theatrical release, but, it would be nice to be told in an undeniable statement), and time frame.

Question about returning to the B5 universe. "It would be in transmuted fashion. General story line maintained but not the details. The history of B5 is the history of B5 . . . keeping the chronical lines intact but the individual stories could vary . . ."

JMS could remake the series or the next 5 years.

The story could be told from a different point if view. Say Lyta's or Lochley's. There are plenty of other characters around.

This could mean that TMoS isn't necessarily about CRUSADE but has elements that are a part of that arc. I really can't wait for the announcement...but we should all prepare ourselves for the fact that, though we'll have the full title, I doubt we'll get much else as they won't want the storyline leaking out. We might get some better hints and more Vorlonesque statements from JMS, but other than that...I can bet you WB will be keeping a tight lid on this.

The list of actors will give a big leak about what is going on. The briefings published when Warner Brothers recuits the one-off roles will give a second leak.

I didn't get the impression that he intends to return to the original B5 series anytime soon. It was just a statement about how it could be done.

I don't think he will do another B5.

B5 is B5.

However he might delve back into the B5 universe for a television series if Warners offered him enough money.

Back