• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

updated Heinlin book

It sounds like a reprint of the edition crofootski speaks of. I can't find any new editions on Amazon and this is what the summary says:

One of the greatest science fiction novels ever published, Stranger in a Strange Land's original manuscript had 50,000 words cut. Now they have been reinstated for this special 30th anniversary trade edition. A Mars-born earthling arrives on this planet for the first time as an adult, and the sensation he creates teaches Earth some unforgettable lessons.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0441790348/

Uncensored? A few years ago, the uncut version was selling. Is this another version?

That's the version that's been on my bookshelf for about three years now. From what I recall, Heinlin's wife found his original draft and notes, waited for the then-publisher's rights to end (or something like that) and simply re-released the full story. Frankly, I dunno why any publisher in his right mind would cut Heinlin's work to begin with, but that's me.

PTen,
As I recall, Heinlein himself made the cuts to the original because he felt they added nothing substantial to the overall storyline. I read the *unabridged* version several years ago and thought it was ok. I've never read the *short* version. Heinlein had stated that "Stranger" was not one of his personal favorites. Just my two cent's worth. Now, back into the woodwork... :)

Hmm, well if the cuts were made by the man himself, then why did his wife put out the full unabridged version? Surely she must have known that the "short" version was the way he wanted it.

Whoops... forgot all about the intro by his wife, which tells you how long its been since I've read it. Thanks.

No Sh*t! Damn, I've been begging for a movie version since I first read it back in high school. Can't make a movie out of it, yet they can make all the Starship Troopers they want. Of well, I guess I'll lobby for Ender's Game now... which would make an excellent movie.

Now THAT would be good...Who would you place as Ender? I would pick the kid who was in Sixth Sense and A.I. myself or perhaps a talented unknown?

I guess it depends on how true they remain to the book. From a book stand point, Haley Joel Osment is really to old to play Ender Wiggins, but since you're going to have a hell of a time finding an 8-year-old who can be a leading actor for a full-length feature, I think Haley would be the best choice. Of course if they don't make it soon, Haley will definitely be too old and they may be forced to go with an unknown.

Last I heard, Orson Scott Card had written the screenplay and it was in production at Warner Brothers, but that was late last year.

Back