B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5

Go Back   B5TV.COM > Babylon 5, Crusade and Rangers > B5.world

Old August 5th 14, 05:24   #51
KoshN

Re: B5 Feature Film to be scriptedTRUE! There will be a feature film going into produ

BTW, the ONLY B5 movies that I really disliked were the Rangers pilot, and Babylon 5 - The Lost Tales - Voices in the Dark "Over Here". I liked "Over There".

I love "In the Beginning" and "A Call to Arms".
I like "The Gathering" and "Thirdspace" and "The River of Souls". The Rangers pilot makes "Thirdspace" and "The River of Souls" look great.

I also love ~80% of Crusade. Nobody has to twist my arm to get me to watch Crusade.
Regarding the B5 novels, everybody knows that Dell 1-6 & 8 sucked.
I enjoy Dell #7 more than #9 and Psi Corps #1. Found the latter two to be dry.
I like Psi Corps #2 & #3.
I love the Centauri and Technomage trilogies.
As for the novelizations, I disliked only "A Call to Arms". I liked the novelizations of In the Beginning and Thirdspace a lot.
Max Eilerson: "The story of my life. I finally find a city like this, intact, deserted for ten thousand years. Probably contains hundreds of patents that I could exploit and I'm going to die. I can appreciate dramatic irony as much as the next person, but this is pushing it a bit."
KoshN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th 14, 11:47   #52
Springer
Ambassador

Re: B5 Feature Film to be scriptedTRUE! There will be a feature film going into produ

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoshN View Post
BTW, the ONLY B5 movies that I really disliked were the Rangers pilot, and Babylon 5 - The Lost Tales - Voices in the Dark "Over Here". I liked "Over There".

I like "The Gathering" and "Thirdspace" and "The River of Souls". The Rangers pilot makes "Thirdspace" and "The River of Souls" look great.

I also love ~80% of Crusade. Nobody has to twist my arm to get me to watch Crusade.
As for the novelizations, I disliked only "A Call to Arms". I liked the novelizations of In the Beginning and Thirdspace a lot.
That's pretty close to my tastes as well actually, other than preferring book #9 to #7 (opposite to you, I found 7 drier than 9) and having little time for River of Souls outside of the great guest actors and one or two scenes. I also disliked Psi Corps #1 and #3 and wasn't a fan of Technomages #1, it didn't feel like B5 at all, same with Psi Corps #1 (I've got the second and third Technomage books but haven't read them yet). Crusade gets better on re-watches for me.

Of course I'm a fan of B5 and I do like all of these to a point, even the poorer novels, but I think any new B5 movie has to be better than all of this ancillary material, otherwise what's the point?

Last edited by Springer; August 5th 14 at 16:41.
Springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th 14, 11:51   #53
Springer
Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeD80 View Post
It's in the "Echoes of all our conversations" interview books. Bill Mumy August 5th 1997:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mumy
When I read that Lennier was toasted as one who had fallen [in Sleeping in Light], at first I tried to appeal that. I went to Joe and said, "Does he have to die?" and Joe said, "He dies in the great telepath war. He'll die like a hero, and it's way down the line; it's two movies down the line." I said, "Yeah, but he has to die?" and Joe said, "Yes, he's dying. He'll die like a hero and it will be great death, and it's after the fifth season" and blah blah blah.

That's Lennier's fate: he dies in the great telepath war somewhere down the line in the future.
Fair enough, that does seem to indicate that by the time of season four, the telepath war was not meant to be in the series, if it ever was. I do feel that is a shame, but never mind.
Springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th 14, 19:58   #54
JoeD80
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republibot 3.0 View Post
Quote:
His early notes (seen in Artifacts from Beyond the Rim) have a short paragraph description of a Telepath War movie involving Ivanova.
Oooh! Any chance you could quote this?
I will find this when I get home tonight.
JoeD80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th 14, 05:01   #55
KoshN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springer View Post
Quote:

That's pretty close to my tastes as well actually, other than preferring book #9 to #7 (opposite to you, I found 7 drier than 9) and having little time for River of Souls outside of the great guest actors and one or two scenes. I also disliked Psi Corps #1 and #3 and wasn't a fan of Technomages #1, it didn't feel like B5 at all, same with Psi Corps #1 (I've got the second and third Technomage books but haven't read them yet). Crusade gets better on re-watches for me.

Of course I'm a fan of B5 and I do like all of these to a point, even the poorer novels, but I think any new B5 movie has to be better than all of this ancillary material, otherwise what's the point?
Y'know, come to think of it, Dell #7 "The Shadow Within" would make a good movie. They could really play up the horror angle. Might appeal to people. Maybe Henry Cavill (Superman) could play Jeff Sinclair.

Crusade gets better on re-watches for me, too. When I first saw it on TNT, in the TNT-mandated order with the black uniform episodes first, I wasn't too thrilled with it, and would've given it about a 6.5 out of 10. Now, overall, I'd give an 8.5 or 9 out of 10. I really got to like almost all of the characters. By comparison, I give Babylon 5 a 10 out of 10.
Max Eilerson: "The story of my life. I finally find a city like this, intact, deserted for ten thousand years. Probably contains hundreds of patents that I could exploit and I'm going to die. I can appreciate dramatic irony as much as the next person, but this is pushing it a bit."
KoshN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th 14, 05:10   #56
JoeD80
Commander

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
His early notes (seen in Artifacts from Beyond the Rim) have a short paragraph description of a Telepath War movie involving Ivanova.
Here are some highlights from it (trying to keep it short since I probably shouldn't quote the page verbatim):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theatrical Film
Psi Corps Thriller
Telepath War. Home Sapiens versus Homo Superior.
Or - teep vs. teep, using mundanes as tools.
Ivanova is "caught," known latent, pulled in, finds by resistance, knows she's sympathetic. She and Sheridan briefly on opposite sides.
Have to intercept/stop at end, big fight - how do teeps fight, can they affect pilots? Combine force of mind -> hive (10 Million Years to Earth)
According to the editor's note, 10 million years to earth is supposed to be a reference to the movie "5 Million Years to Earth" about a battle against a hive mind.
JoeD80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th 14, 05:45   #57
ranger phil
Ranger

Quote:

Y'know, come to think of it, Dell #7 "The Shadow Within" would make a good movie. They could really play up the horror angle. Might appeal to people. Maybe Henry Cavill (Superman) could play Jeff Sinclair.
i was thinking the same thing. Have Babylon 5, but have this mission going on - some potential for some really scary shit right there with the shadows.

or even the Vorlons.. Dont forget the Vorlons 'collect' beings and adapt them as well.

oh and Henry Cavill as sinclair? Genious. Wasn't sinclair meant to be in all the way through till Mr O Hare became ill?

Unless JMS wants to respect those that have left us and not recast characters per-se. There (for example) can never be another G'Kar...

Or he could just think 'sod it' and recast everyone. Cameos for BB + MF as Sheridan and Delenn (prez + missus) would be sweeeeeet. I dunno. you could get alll giddy and excited but in reality we know nothing. It's all in JMS's head at the moment.
Old August 8th 14, 20:21   #58
Republibot 3.0
Psi Cop

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Here are some highlights from it (trying to keep it short since I probably shouldn't quote the page verbatim):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theatrical Film
Psi Corps Thriller
Telepath War. Home Sapiens versus Homo Superior.
Or - teep vs. teep, using mundanes as tools.
Ivanova is "caught," known latent, pulled in, finds by resistance, knows she's sympathetic. She and Sheridan briefly on opposite sides.
Have to intercept/stop at end, big fight - how do teeps fight, can they affect pilots? Combine force of mind -> hive (10 Million Years to Earth)
According to the editor's note, 10 million years to earth is supposed to be a reference to the movie "5 Million Years to Earth" about a battle against a hive mind.
Thank you very much for typing that.

More than a little vague, though, isn't it? It does clearly indicate he was thinking about a movie, though.

Kevin Long
(The Artist Formerly Known As Republibot 3.0, And The World's Greatest Living Thurl Ravenscroft Impersonator)
http://www.kevin-long.com
Republibot 3.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th 14, 23:06   #59
Lyta's Shadow
Lurker

The idea of sitting in a cinema to watch something related to Babylon 5 seems so fantastical. I cross all my fingers and toes but I think there's a greater chance of the Shadows returning from beyond the rim with baskets of candy and fluffy kittens for everyone. Please let me be wrong!
Lyta's Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th 14, 23:30   #60
Republibot 3.0
Psi Cop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyta's Shadow View Post
The idea of sitting in a cinema to watch something related to Babylon 5 seems so fantastical. I cross all my fingers and toes but I think there's a greater chance of the Shadows returning from beyond the rim with baskets of candy and fluffy kittens for everyone. Please let me be wrong!
You know, I kind of hope you're not wrong.

Not to be negative. I desparately want more B5, and I doubt you'll find anyone outside a mental institution who's more obsessed with it than me. This particular project has been troubling me, though.

If someone wanted to reboot everything between "Objects at Rest" and "Sleeping in Light," hey, I'm right with ya' there. Mulligan! Want to tell the continuing adventures of the B5 characters? I'm there. B5: TNG? Cool. Rebooting B5 as a TV series? Well, I'm less enamored of that, but I can understand the appeal, and I wouldn't rule it out.

Rebooting it for a movie, though? This seems misguided. Compressing 110 hours of story into 6 hours of screen time told over the course of 6 years or so. I dunno, I read that and I feel something break inside me, and I think it might just be one revival attempt too far.

Kevin Long
(The Artist Formerly Known As Republibot 3.0, And The World's Greatest Living Thurl Ravenscroft Impersonator)
http://www.kevin-long.com
Republibot 3.0 is offline   Reply With Quote