• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Two Problems with VBulletin Upgrade.

you only have to do it once per computer unless you press log out before you leave the website

Which I do when I'm leaving for an extended period of time. I doubt Antony wants us logged in for hours or days when we're not really doing anything on the board.

I doubt Antony wants us logged in for hours or days when we're not really doing anything on the board.

I doubt Antony cares :D .. considering that the board only registers you as online when you're actually doing something. So unless you have the site open in a browser, and have it set to refresh every few seconds, it won't influence the site in any way.

If you clear your cookies you have to log in again as well.

Being lazy I've used the remember me option for ages :)

I doubt Antony cares :D .. considering that the board only registers you as online when you're actually doing something. So unless you have the site open in a browser, and have it set to refresh every few seconds, it won't influence the site in any way.

Yeah, indeed. It's there for convenience. Just sign in, and as Chili says you'll only appear online when active.

The only time you don't want to really do it is on a public computer, for example an internet cafe.

Just a question: have you clicked the "remember me" button on the login screen? I was being logged out too and since I've clicked that button, it hasn't happened anymore.

Unfortunately, I can't do that. I use a computer at work that is used by others when I am not there. So, if I clicked "remember me," I believe if they hit the login bookmark, they could post as me. Who knows what students that work the desk might post in my name! :eek:

WOW! it just logged me off in the middle of THIS post! But, when I logged in, I got a white screen, and was able to back up to this post. Weird! The AVS Forum, with vBulletin, which I frequent, takes about an hour or more of inactivity to log me off. Is there some setting which controls how long before auto log off?

I've said it before, but it must be the computer you are on. I click login, and I remain loggedin permanently until I click log out. As do most people. For the few people that are having issues, there must be a cookie issue or something.

Wow, shows how long i've been away. Good work on the changeover. I'll try to be around a bit more in the future. :)

Unfortunately, I can't do that. I use a computer at work that is used by others when I am not there. So, if I clicked "remember me," I believe if they hit the login bookmark, they could post as me. Who knows what students that work the desk might post in my name! :eek:

WOW! it just logged me off in the middle of THIS post! But, when I logged in, I got a white screen, and was able to back up to this post. Weird! The AVS Forum, with vBulletin, which I frequent, takes about an hour or more of inactivity to log me off. Is there some setting which controls how long before auto log off?

just click log-off before you close the window

Jade, other people shouldn't be able to see your bookmarks...Unless you are leaving yourself logged in. That in turn is a security risk. The other people should be able to log on themselves. If not, they have no business on that computer. You compromise your own personal security too, such as email by staying logged in (how many infamous butt jokes because a friend used [anyone's] email?

By checking Remember me, the board is always open for you and will not log you out for inactivity. However, you do need to manually log off, not just close the IE/Firefox window. When you want to come back, you have to go through the whole login again. (check the box again.)

Jade, other people shouldn't be able to see your bookmarks...Unless you are leaving yourself logged in. That in turn is a security risk. The other people should be able to log on themselves. If not, they have no business on that computer. You compromise your own personal security too, such as email by staying logged in (how many infamous butt jokes because a friend used [anyone's] email?

Unfortunately, the computer is logged on using a staff log in, so my bookmarks, in their own folder, can be accessed by others. I log out from my e-mail if I have to leave the desk. If I am logged off from it, someone else would need to know my pass word, just as they would to log on to B5TV, in my name. I may be able to get my supervisor to approve my own private log in, but to do that, I have to come in while day staff is working, at a time when I am usually fast asleep, since I work nights. But, I sure would like my own login, since some jerk has been deleting my bookmark file at times!

Unfortunately, the computer is logged on using a staff log in, so my bookmarks, in their own folder, can be accessed by others. I log out from my e-mail if I have to leave the desk. If I am logged off from it, someone else would need to know my pass word, just as they would to log on to B5TV, in my name. I may be able to get my supervisor to approve my own private log in, but to do that, I have to come in while day staff is working, at a time when I am usually fast asleep, since I work nights. But, I sure would like my own login, since some jerk has been deleting my bookmark file at times!

I can't believe your company doesn't understand the importance of computer security. I feel for ya. Their course can only lead to disaster. In the mean time, check "remember me", but log out each time you leave. I've known a lot of pranksters, "and I are one". <in my best Jeff Foxworthy voice>

Where did they get the idea that students do not play practical jokes?

Or have a black market in exam questions?

They are staff computers, with a staff log in, the student desk staff uses it as well. We are blocked from installing new programs, and they have done something to prevent music and video downloading. Besides that, they know who works on which computer when, so they could trace back any shenanigans. THey probably consider that easier than giving another 20 people their own log ins. I think they could also play any practical jokes, or run any "black markets" from their own log ins anyway. The real danger spot is our public computers. Although there is no filter for 'suspect' material, anonymous e-mail systems, like hot mail, and Yahoo cannot be accessed from them, to prevent bad things...;)

I am used to education establishments giving every student their own login. It must get busy at the beginning of every school year.

Students do have their own log ins, for e-mail, and such, as do I. It is the staff log in, which grants access to library check out/in functions, patron accounts, etc. that does not have individual equivalents for students, and some other staff. For that, there are various log ins, for various staff groups, with different levels of access.

Woo... Galeon 7 I love your wolf photo with the orthodox cross. My off line system link alias is Sniperwolf. That is a VERY COOL picture.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back