• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

What are you watching now?

Oceanic Air Lines, I believe is a generic airline used for numerous shows, not just LOST. It's just that it's always a throwaway scene in other places. In LOST, it's half the show so we remember it.

But I'd imagine that in most occurrences the airline is used for instances on A TV show where a hijack or disaster are required... because understandably no commercial airline wants to be associated in any way with the idea... however fictional, that their planes are unsafe.

At media college they taught us that you can tell instantly if a fictional plane flight is doomed to some bad turn of fate... simply by whether or not the airline is real.

Which kind of makes me wonder if BA or Air France ever sued the makers of the B movie "Concorde" because they were the only two companies to operate the plane. I have special memories of just how awful that film was... in the climactic scene, the pilot OPENS THE WINDOW IN A PRESSURIZED CABIN so that he can fire the emergency rescue FLARE GUN in a desperate bid to draw off a HEAT SEEKING MISSILE that has locked onto the Concorde after being fired at by a terrorist.:guffaw:

But back to my point... the fact that the reference to Oceanic was just on a billboard and not in any way involved in an actual flight, makes me wonder of it was a nod.

Oceanic Air Lines, I believe is a generic airline used for numerous shows, not just LOST. It's just that it's always a throwaway scene in other places. In LOST, it's half the show so we remember it.

But I'd imagine that in most occurrences the airline is used for instances on A TV show where a hijack or disaster are required... because understandably no commercial airline wants to be associated in any way with the idea... however fictional, that their planes are unsafe.

At media college they taught us that you can tell instantly if a fictional plane flight is doomed to some bad turn of fate... simply by whether or not the airline is real.

Which kind of makes me wonder if BA or Air France ever sued the makers of the B movie "Concorde" because they were the only two companies to operate the plane. I have special memories of just how awful that film was... in the climactic scene, the pilot OPENS THE WINDOW IN A PRESSURIZED CABIN so that he can fire the emergency rescue FLARE GUN in a desperate bid to draw off a HEAT SEEKING MISSILE that has locked onto the Concorde after being fired at by a terrorist.:guffaw:

But back to my point... the fact that the reference to Oceanic was just on a billboard and not in any way involved in an actual flight, makes me wonder of it was a nod.

holy shit, i saw that film, it was so bad i blocked it from my memory, but the mention of the flare gun and the missile brought it all back.

Just in case nobody quite believes this... or remembers.... skip to about 5 minutes in on this clip.

I forgot to mention that they were at Mach 2 when pulling that little manouver!:wtf::guffaw:

Oooh, watch it another four times. That should clean it up.

At least, I've watched it three times and it started to make sense, so by logical progression...

Primer.

My brain hurts.

Funny, I also watched that recently.

Booooorrrrinnnggg!!!!!
Yeah, I get it, wacky recursive time loops, indy film, original approach to dialogue, etc. I appreciate the originality. But I was still bored out of my skull.

Fans of martial arts should check out Ong-Bak. Not only is the star a brilliant fighter and stunt man, but original- it's some sort of mix between Muay Thai (Thai kick-boxing using knees and elbows) and kung-fu. The movie has no wires, CGI, or any of that other artsy bullshit that makes modern martial arts flicks unbearable.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=ong-bak&search_type=&aq=0&oq=ong-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4y2AmUmWOh0

I enjoyed it. I'd be lying if I said I fully appreciated - if there was every a movie you'd need a chart to understand, this is it. But I'm OK with that - I don't mind bizarre plot twists and convoluted story lines as long as it was obviously planned out, and as long as it all makes sense in retrospective.

Of course, the chart needed to clear up this movie would probably have to be 5-dimensional or something. I was tempted many times to jump back to some earlier scene to try to see if I could figure out what the hell was going on.

Definitely dug the characterizations. Much as I love Back to the Future, it was kind of cool how in this movie, the great discovery is made, by accident, by guys screwing around in their garage on something compeltely different. Science!

I just watched How The Beatles Rocked The Kremlin, a documentary on PBS. It was lots of fun, things I never knew, for the most part. More than one Russian said that it was really the Beatles who caused the collapse of the USSR! This is not a political forum, so I post that only to show how serious they were about the Beatles. They would record them from pirate radio stations, then use old X-Ray slides as blanks to make records using record recorders meant for USSR soldiers to make recorded messages for their families! Possession of these meant prison! Check it out - lots of fun.

Breaking Bad

The dad from Malcom in the Middle, better known to us as that ranger captain that had to die to get the Shadows the message to lure them to Corianus 6, stars as a high-school chemistry teacher diagnosed with lung cancer and ends up using his knowledge to cook and sell crystal meth.

This is a show on AMC and it's been on for two seasons. My local library had the first season (only 7 episodes) so I checked out based on hearing good things and it's great. It's like Weeds if it weren't stupid. And this actor- he's always been one of those that you think, man, I bet he'd be awesome if he got some juicy role. Well this is it.

Breaking Bad

The dad from Malcom in the Middle, better known to us as that ranger captain that had to die to get the Shadows the message to lure them to Corianus 6, stars as a high-school chemistry teacher diagnosed with lung cancer and ends up using his knowledge to cook and sell crystal meth.

This is a show on AMC and it's been on for two seasons. My local library had the first season (only 7 episodes) so I checked out based on hearing good things and it's great. It's like Weeds if it weren't stupid. And this actor- he's always been one of those that you think, man, I bet he'd be awesome if he got some juicy role. Well this is it.

This is weird. Just last week, I watched a random X-Files episode - "Drive" - about a moustached redneck rambling about the Jewish world conspiracy that needs to be heading West for his ear to not explode.

The guy seemed vaguely familiar, but I couldn't place him. Checked IMDB - yep, it's him. It made me WTF.

What am I watching?

* Castle - not really good, but empty-headed fun just the same.
* Flash Forward - though I'm loosing interest quickly
* Stargate Universe
* Dollhouse
* The Venture Brothers
* Burn Notice - when it's on
* V - though I've already mostly lost interest in this one
* Batman: The Brave and the Bold
* Ben 10: Alien Force
* Phineus and Ferb - The most screwball and most surreal comedy on TV today
* Doctor Who - when it's on. Man, I didn't think anyone could drag out a finale worse than Galactica did, but I was wrong, wasn't I?
* Verrrrrrrrrrry Rarely: NCIS, mainly because I have a crush on Abby.

Breaking Bad rules. I watched season 1 over a rainy weekend. I have yet to find a cheap/free copy of season 2, and I think 3 is supposed to start soon.

I pretty much gave up on TV at this point, at least for "serious" shows and dramas and the like. Sons of Anarchy got surprisingly lame fast, I can't be bothered with new V, gave up on Flash Forward, Glee was a cool concept that got so stupid I couldn't even enjoy it as silly breezy entertainment, etc. And I haven't come across a movie that really caught my interest in a while.

My TV viewing is football (December and January are the best months for this), the NBC Thursday night sitcoms I started another thread about, Modern Family (which is rather hit 'n' miss), and Mythbusters.

Instead, I've rediscovered gaming and am hooked on Assassin's Creed 2...

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back